The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:54 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

So, I know that there's a limit to carbon nano tube strength, and a limit to what a space elevator can do. This is basically a really, really large version of that.

What is the upper limit / how much mass can be in that 1g city, given that too short of a cable will cause massive rotational effects (i.e. -- the cable has to be long enough that the gravitational effect is the only noticeable effect).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:21 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Pun-level: IT'S OFF THE FREAKIN' CHARTS!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:19 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

keybounce wrote:
So, I know that there's a limit to carbon nano tube strength, and a limit to what a space elevator can do. This is basically a really, really large version of that.

What is the upper limit / how much mass can be in that 1g city, given that too short of a cable will cause massive rotational effects (i.e. -- the cable has to be long enough that the gravitational effect is the only noticeable effect).

This is NOT Schlock Verse, but...
https://orionsarm.com/
Look up "magmatter"
Or don't, because the indexing is...definitely not up to par.
https://orionsarm.com/eg-article/48630634d2591

The answer to your question, for normal matter, is in a window about half way down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:55 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

The schlockverse clearly has access to materials for stronger than carbon nanotubes. Just look at the world forge, Eina-Afa, or the buthandis. That's the whole point of PTUs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Just don't look out the window, if you're prone to motion sickness.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:47 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I'm surprised they don't just use fusion for antigrav. You'd need gravity effects to maintain and fuel annie plants to begin with, after all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:49 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
I'm surprised they don't just use fusion for antigrav. You'd need gravity effects to maintain and fuel annie plants to begin with, after all.

Apparently, it's the gravity that the dark matter entities can detect. Not using gravity to generate, well, a gravity well, may be to better hide from the pan'urii.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:40 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Yeah, also figured that the use of spin gravity is to better hide. Manipulating gravity would probably negate the stealth gained by not using annie plants.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:51 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I'm looking at today's page wondering why he doesn't set them in a star pattern. 6 cities spinning off of a single center point each counterbalancing the others would seem ideal. I suppose those fusion plants might be particularly dangerous and need a minimum safe distance, plus splitting the cities into separate centrifuges spreads out the failure points.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:17 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I just hope Petey doesn't have enough rope to hang himself. :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:52 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Sean wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

Apparently, it's the gravity that the dark matter entities can detect. Not using gravity to generate, well, a gravity well, may be to better hide from the pan'urii.

If it's just plain gravity wells, why aren't DAMEs busting up planets and stars? They have to have a way of targeting annie plants, or at least a way to tell natural gravity from artificial.

There's also the core generator that's likely massive enough to have a significant gravity field of its own, why not go for that directly, then?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:18 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Restless Soul wrote:
Sean wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

If it's just plain gravity wells, why aren't DAMEs busting up planets and stars? They have to have a way of targeting annie plants, or at least a way to tell natural gravity from artificial.

There's also the core generator that's likely massive enough to have a significant gravity field of its own, why not go for that directly, then?

The difference being that Annie plants generate masses *far* in excess of their volume. If you imagine space as the metaphorical rubber sheet, planets are baseballs, suns are water filled beach balls, and an Annie plant is a ball bearing weighing as much as a mid-side sedan. This is a gravity curve that is so extreme and *localized* it can't be anything *but* artificial.

As for shooting out the core....well.

I think a gun that can shoot out the core of a Galaxy might actually be edging into 'enuff dakka' territory.

The core is a black hole with an effective accretion disk the size of...the galaxy. The singularity must be enormous. The only thing that escapes it is gravity. Even if you can shoot it, all that existing mass and energy is going to stay there, as well as all the energy you've just shot it with. All you've accomplished, unless you can actually somehow destabilize the singularity, is feed an absolutely inconsequential amount of mass-energy into it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:49 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Restless Soul wrote:
Sean wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

I"ve struggled with that, and the generalized "They can shoot anniplants with pin-point accuracy".
And the hypothesis that lets me make sense of it so far is "They aren't actually shooting annies with pin-point accuracy with undetectable forward-observing spotters. We're just seeing the shots that hit something vital"

What if what they're using actually has a much higher rate of fire than what we're seeing, and it may even be targeting via gravity gradients but it's not energetic enough to affect things like stars and planets?

But if it hits an anni-plant, it's got enough to crack the super-molecule shell, and from there it just lets it destroy itself?

We know that imperfections at a very small scale can be catastrophic.
And that just cracking the shell a bit and letting it rip itself apart is super effective.
And I doubt that either of these are true by things like stars that are contained by natural forces/
And that while DMEs -can- make stars go nova, they do that the old-fashioned way, bythrowing stars around.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:46 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

If they're dakka-firing wild long-gun shots across they galaxy, and enough of those shots to actually hit things, they would be blowing up more than just annie plants. It takes considerable energy to penetrate a plant's walls after all, and while that energy may not to be enough to destroy a star or even a planet, it would be enough to say, blow up a bulding, even a multi-story one. Or blast a hole in a field or desert on some planet. Heck, random energy beams might even be seen coming out of nowhere and streaking across space.

Yes, space is mind-bogglingly big, and most of it has nothing more than a few random molecules and a few grains of dust for light-years. But for essentially random shots from another galaxy to be hitting anything at all, the Pa'anuri would have to be beam-spamming on a scale so epic that even the misses should be seen, or at least registered on monitoring devices.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:34 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Kendrakirai wrote:
I think a gun that can shoot out the core of a Galaxy might actually be edging into 'enuff dakka' territory.

Pffff. If it shoot out an entire galaxy obviously it needs moar dakka.