All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:10 am 
Carnie
Carnie

At least that's my hot take.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:08 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Her name is Jengisha. She's sassy and well-muscled.
:drinking:

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:48 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Kaff already noticed yesterday. Check him tucked away to the side in panel 3.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:03 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Any woman who hasn't run away in terror (or confusion) after that teraport line is must be attracted to Kevyn. There is no other plausible explanation - her other lines to him in the previous couple of strips have sounded a lot like flirting banter as well. Kevyn doesn't seem to have caught on yet, though he may be starting to.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:28 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

If Elf is anything to go on, she is pretty much the polar opposite of "his type".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:45 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

sotanaht wrote:
If Elf is anything to go on, she is pretty much the polar opposite of "his type".

Her appearance is very different to Elf, but her personality seems to have quite a bit in common. Bright, brave and witty.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:40 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

John Dallman wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

Her appearance is very different to Elf, but her personality seems to have quite a bit in common. Bright, brave and witty.

"Bright" is not my take. Elf might not be as smart as Kevyn but she can at least function in the same lab, this girl has dumb grunt written all over her.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:01 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

sotanaht wrote:
John Dallman wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

"Bright" is not my take. Elf might not be as smart as Kevyn but she can at least function in the same lab, this girl has dumb grunt written all over her.

She was bright enough to turn the tables on him. Granted, when it comes to conversation, Kevyn sets a low bar, but still.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:31 am 
Carnie
Carnie

sotanaht wrote:

You can't go on one example and call it a type.

For all we know K-Prime's romance history was zero before hooking up with Elf. For all we know his type is "female and has a pulse". I mean he wouldn't be the first guy whose type fit that description.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:11 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

He also could be one of those that her personality is the critical point.

I've been around women where all the other males are tripping on their tongues, and I barely notice, because she has the disposition of a rabid badger and the IQ of a gerbil.

I better not say that . . . I don't want to get into the radish growers associations bad graces . . . again.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:48 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

sotanaht wrote:
John Dallman wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

I seem to recall Elf making some very grunty decisions in the Zoojacks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:42 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

grahamf wrote:

'Grunt' (or at best 'Sarge') level decisions are pretty much all she can manage. Now, she's a wizz at logistics, but her decision making capacity? Tertiary at best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:

'Grunt' (or at best 'Sarge') level decisions are pretty much all she can manage. Now, she's a wizz at logistics, but her decision making capacity? Tertiary at best.

I would say in addition to logistics, she's good at 'on the spot' decisions and tactical thinking. Examples: her use of the drone cloud to move undetected in the enemy fleet, and recognizing that Schlock's recordings could be used to undermine the enemy.

But yeah, her long-term decision making leaves a lot to be desired.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:52 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Glad to see people are finally agreeing with me that Elf is (currently?) extremely unsuitable for a command slot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:55 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Kendrakirai wrote:
Glad to see people are finally agreeing with me that Elf is (currently?) extremely unsuitable for a command slot.

Finally? I never thought little miss Emotional Excesses was ever good for command.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:02 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Jengisha is more intelligent than your average grunt. She knows what e means.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:37 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Motortiki wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:

I would say in addition to logistics, she's good at 'on the spot' decisions and tactical thinking. Examples: her use of the drone cloud to move undetected in the enemy fleet, and recognizing that Schlock's recordings could be used to undermine the enemy.

But yeah, her long-term decision making leaves a lot to be desired.

True, but if I remember right, Elf also pointed out to Kevyn (waaaaay back when he was getting hit over the head with the fact that she's not dumb) that the two of them not only got very different educations, but they got treated very differently by the education system: Kevyn was encouraged to be vocally smart and to take up as much space as he needed to learn and experiment. Elf was not. (And the level of familial support they got in dealing with the education system was significantly different too, I imagine.)

Personally, I'd suspect Elf is probably also not neurotypical and that she didn't get proper supports for dealing with it, but it's a lot harder to make those sorts of judgements when you're dealing with characters who are in an environment that's significantly different from ours. But she still reads to me as someone who's dealing with ADHD and possibly some other comorbid issues such as emotional disregulation. (Which doesn't excuse her actions, but would go a long ways towards explaining why she tends to go to one extreme or the other on the emotional spectrum.)

So really, it's not so much that Elf is dumb or that she can't manage anything above 'Sarge'-level decisions; it's that it takes explicit training to learn how to make those decisions, and she's been tossed into the deep end and expected to learn on the job. You have to actually learn how to be an officer, and I don't think she's actually had time to sit down and do more than basic primers on it - and she might have assumed that she's doing well enough that she doesn't need to spend time on tutorials when there's other things that need doing. It's not like anyone she'd listen to has ever told her otherwise.

Jengisha, to me, reads like a version of Elf-who-could-have-been: a woman who's confident in her intelligence and herself, but is also very comfortable with being a grunt and not having to do officer work. Not being able to do the sort of mental math Kevyn casually does, doesn't make her stupid; it just means that she's not prone to doing complex mental math that's explicitly thought of as such.