[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - 2018-08-13 - Ennesby is allowed to fly?

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:04 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

So, why does Ennesby get to keep his weapon and gravitics?

It doesn't look like Petey refitted him with conventional thrusters, since there'd be serious backwash.
Maybe there are some sort of magnetic shenanigans going on? The movement lines are coming from his head rather than the fiddly bit...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:54 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

It could simply be that Ennesby's mass is so low that his gravatic signature gets lost in the background noise.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:25 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Specifically, it's annie plants (and plasma) that are banned.

I don't think Ennesby's power source is ever explicitly stated, but he dates back to when the Toughs weren't rich enough to afford fancy uniforms with micro annies, so it seems likely he doesn't have one and uses some other means of powering his gravitic polarizers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:18 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:28 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:32 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

As good a reason as any to stop lurking... :P

Is any of this techno-mumbo-jumbo illuminating?
https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2000-07-29

-edit-
Upon reflection I notice it mentions the means of propulsion/levitation/whatever, but not the power source... oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:00 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Well, the flying car is definitely powered by a modestly sized annie at the back there.

I'm not sure it is the micro annies that are the expensive bit, although by the square-cube (+manufacturing) rule they're going to be far more expensive for the output than a ship scale one. Tiny annie plants are used in hand weapons.
Getting the miniaturized gravitics distributed and controlled correctly so you end up flying safely instead of catapulting your spleen into the air might be the hard part. Even the ships have trouble picking out one person without splattering them, but the car can just lift the metal frame near the annie and it is tough enough to hold together.

Does a gravitic polarizer require an annie to power it like all the other gravity manipulation we've seen? (though it is probably more efficient as a simple single-purpose device)
Also, isn't the whole idea of the habitat's security to avoid manipulating gravity in order to hide?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:22 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I don't see why a gravatic polarizer would need its' own annie plant to function. Any local source of gravity should do.
I don't see how a gravatic polarizer can function in spin pseudo-gravity, in any case.

My (current) theory is Ennesby has the old-style gravatic polarizers, but they're useless, currently, and he's depending on station systems, which he's logged in to, to tug him around until he's back in natural or synthetic gravity. He may not be able to manipulate anything on his own without the aid of a waldo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:40 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:40 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:41 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:07 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Oh look.
It’s the flying maraca.
https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2009-11-02
In spin gravity.
For most of a story arc, not just the scene where Pi invents new negligent crimes.

karfston

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:22 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

My tone, I would say, was inferior an in need of correction, but I’m presently unwell and in not a little discomfort here. I would say I have other urgencies, more pressing than looking up the correct spelling of ennesby’s name. The archive is huge, i’ll forgive people forgetting a couple story arcs.

What exactly is spin gravity?
If I cut away the rest of the universe so that the only thing that exists is me, am I spinning or non-rotating? Without objects to give me context, could my rate of spin be called ’undefined’? Could I even generate spin gravity? Or is that ‘gravity’ a consequence of the universe at large exerting an influence over me?

Would the spin ‘gravity’ Ennesby faces look similar to gravity from a gravity well? Or rather, how would it be different? How could he tell apart from rotational effects?

- Karfston, accidental consumer of things not fit for consumption

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:46 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:46 am 
Carnie
Carnie

My bet: Ennesby still has an annie plant. Petey is lying when he implies that the Pa'anuri can target small plants. He just wants the Toughs disarmed and unarmored to reduce the calamity they can cause while in his cities.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:28 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

They can target small annie plants. In their first appearance they made low-profile suit pants explode.

It's possible that their long gun targeting is less precise, but there's no guarantee.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:42 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:09 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:55 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:34 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Yeah they probably can't see personal Annie plants with their galactic telescope. Still though nobody in the Milky Way knows exactly how that telescope works. So I'm guessing that they don't really want to take chances on just how big an annie plant is too big.

After all the Pa'anuri have been hitting annie plants specifically. Not asteroids or other planetary bodies that have the same gravitational signature. So whatever their natural senses might entail this particular targeting system can distinguish between annie plants and natural gravity sources.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:47 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Here’s where I was trying to go with my question.

I’m in space. My frame of reference is spinning relative to the universe.

In general relativity, no frame of reference is special. Why do I, with my frame of reference, suffer from a force trying to pull me apart? In the absence of the universe, I would not expect to be pulled apart by these mysterious forces.

‘zomg! I must have spawned in on top of a white whole that’s trying to blast me apart along an axis! And the stars are zipping past at several orders faster than the speed of light! This universe is trying to kill me, I just know it!’

- Karfston

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:58 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I honestly don't quite understand your question. If you are alone, then no you won't experience spin gravity.

It's not a force itself. It's caused by your body trying to continue to move in the direction it was accelerated, while the thing you are standing on is changing direction as it spins.

The best way I know to demonstrate this is to take a bucket of water and put it on the end of a rope. Hold the rope and spin in place such that the bottom of the bucket is away from you. The top of the bucket is open and perpendicular to the ground so now the water should be falling out. But instead it is being pressed into the bottom of the bucket by its inertia. This is effectively spin gravity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Because you're accelerating. You aren't keeping the same inertial frame of reference from moment to moment.
You would have the same problems when sitting on this planet staring up at the stars unless you understand physics.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:11 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:35 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit