The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:09 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:24 am
Posts: 568
I don't know, admiral. Given the number of battleplates that have ended up destroyed (directly or indirectly) due to interfering in the Toughs' affairs, I'd suggest you place a higher priority on saving up for that day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:18 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:33 pm
Posts: 503
Well, he appears to have five battleplates budgeted already, four of them the experimental design I suspect counteracts long gun fire in some fashion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:46 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 643
To be fair to the admiral he is speaking to Captain Murtaugh. She has a solid history as a veteran mercenary, but she's not Captain Tagon, Killer of Battleplates.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:12 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:40 am
Posts: 536
Location: Eugene, OR
Those words are gonna come back. If not by the end of this book...

Bank on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:30 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 417
(name here) wrote:
Well, he appears to have five battleplates budgeted already, four of them the experimental design I suspect counteracts long gun fire in some fashion.

Very unlikely, they aren't called the End Guns for nothing. The only way to "counter" long guns is to ensure your enemy doesn't know where to aim, which given that they are even managing to keep Petey out, it seems they are doing a good job of blocking communications if not staying completely hidden. That wouldn't stop the shots coming from the DaMEs, but those aren't aimed at them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 643
sotanaht wrote:
(name here) wrote:
Well, he appears to have five battleplates budgeted already, four of them the experimental design I suspect counteracts long gun fire in some fashion.

Very unlikely, they aren't called the End Guns for nothing. The only way to "counter" long guns is to ensure your enemy doesn't know where to aim, which given that they are even managing to keep Petey out, it seems they are doing a good job of blocking communications if not staying completely hidden. That wouldn't stop the shots coming from the DaMEs, but those aren't aimed at them.


The only way to counter that we've seen. I wouldn't say we've seen everything possible in this setting's physics yet. If nothing else you ought to be able to counter them the same way TADs work. If you can close a teraport wormhole you should be able to close any sized wormhole with enough energy and the correcting targeting parameters.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:35 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 am
Posts: 184
That "tiny band of mercenaries" are some of the most influential men, women & other sophonts in the entire galaxy. They loosed Petey. They uncovered the DaMES. They survived the flustercluck that was Oisri; the Oafans are back. Long-guns are a thing now, ever since LOTA.

Plus they have a nasty habit of - completely by accident - destroying battleplates.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 186
If he lives, he'll regret saying that.

_________________
The difference between theory and practice is that theories seldom involve people screaming in terror.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:10 pm 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:48 am
Posts: 50
Poor Murtaugh doesn't know that Eina-afa and all the stuff on it are no longer accessible to her or the Toughs and that they will have to return her ship.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:13 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 643
Actually there's no reason it wouldn't be. Chinook has been quarantined after all. It's just that they are being held incommunicado by the UNS right now.

As for the ship maybe, but we'll have to see what negotiations Putzho and Petey have done for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 pm 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:48 am
Posts: 50
Arcanestomper wrote:
Actually there's no reason it wouldn't be. Chinook has been quarantined after all. It's just that they are being held incommunicado by the UNS right now.

As for the ship maybe, but we'll have to see what negotiations Putzho and Petey have done for it.


Several trillion Oafan's are back they may be willing to allow what has already been taken to stay taken but I doubt they will allow the Toughs to take more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:02 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 643
ushio wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
Actually there's no reason it wouldn't be. Chinook has been quarantined after all. It's just that they are being held incommunicado by the UNS right now.

As for the ship maybe, but we'll have to see what negotiations Putzho and Petey have done for it.


Several trillion Oafan's are back they may be willing to allow what has already been taken to stay taken but I doubt they will allow the Toughs to take more.


Back is debatable. They are in the info sphere. When they revived the Oafan previously they noted that there were very definite limits on how many Oafan they can revive at a time. So all those trillions of Oafan aren't going to be coming out any time soon.

Also their legal right to all those ships is debatable in itself. Sure they built it, but in the time they were gone entire species have evolved on Eina-Afa. Do the hiveminds no longer have any right to anything? What about the people who have put resources into building Jumpstar city. Do they just have to pack up and leave.

What about the rights of the Neo Oafan compared to the Ancient Oafan. How's that going to be handled. The Toughs got their salvage through the Neo Oafan. So if the Neo Oafan retain anything, then the Toughs stand a good shot at doing so as well.

It's not that I think that the Toughs will retain their staggering wealth free and clear. I just think it's a more complicated situation than saying the Toughs are broke again.

Edit: Now that I think about it this might explicitly be covered under the Neo Oafan laws for resurrecting old memory foils.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:29 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:02 am
Posts: 791
Arcanestomper wrote:
Back is debatable. They are in the info sphere. When they revived the Oafan previously they noted that there were very definite limits on how many Oafan they can revive at a time. So all those trillions of Oafan aren't going to be coming out any time soon.



Edit: Now that I think about it this might explicitly be covered under the Neo Oafan laws for resurrecting old memory foils.

You're talking about resurrecting biological Oafans. The issue with the ships that the Toughs claimed is that the Oafan AI want their ships back. Since the ships in question have been near-perfectly preserved all this time, presumably the AI's could be restored much more quickly.
Arcanestomper wrote:
Also their legal right to all those ships is debatable in itself. Sure they built it, but in the time they were gone entire species have evolved on Eina-Afa. Do the hiveminds no longer have any right to anything? What about the people who have put resources into building Jumpstar city. Do they just have to pack up and leave.

What about the rights of the Neo Oafan compared to the Ancient Oafan. How's that going to be handled. The Toughs got their salvage through the Neo Oafan. So if the Neo Oafan retain anything, then the Toughs stand a good shot at doing so as well.

It's not that I think that the Toughs will retain their staggering wealth free and clear. I just think it's a more complicated situation than saying the Toughs are broke again.

I'm inclined to agree. If it weren't for the Toughs, Petey, Putzo, and various other parties, the Ancient Oafan would not be able to access their ships at all. So, all those parties are definitely entitled to salvage rights.

The Hiveminds definitely have rights to Eina-Afa, but I'm not sure what their rights with regard to the ships stored there are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:33 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm
Posts: 443
The large number of Oafan ships still in storage, all with ready pilots, as well as Chinook's fleet being recovered, means that there is a potential new giant fleet of longgun ships to be brought into this conflict.

You know, the DaME's in the galaxy next door might not be the big trigger that destroys this galaxy / triggers an extinction wave :-).

_________________
I hope Para never plays with Tenzy. The result would be terrifying.
Para and Petey need to have some dialog together. Just because.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group