The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:05 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I've got a feeling that Mr. Levi's answer is going to be: Breath Weapon doesn't /have/ long gun systems to learn anything from.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:20 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Nemoricus wrote:
I've got a feeling that Mr. Levi's answer is going to be: Breath Weapon doesn't /have/ long gun systems to learn anything from.

That's been clear for awhile. It seems the Oafan keep long guns to the small corvettes making me wonder if during there use in the past 1 shot was all you got before counter battery fire. Just because it isn't known how to counter long guns now doesn't mean they didn't know in the past and would explain how they found Chinook so fast and why they only fit them to small more expendable ships.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:10 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

How about this news: The targetting accuracy of Chinook's guns is kinda amazingly perfect-good.

We're talking about being able to target a beam through a door-sized opening.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:45 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

keybounce wrote:
How about this news: The targetting accuracy of Chinook's guns is kinda amazingly perfect-good.

CARGO bay door, mind. And like he said, it's only possible if the target cooperates.

Also, this is looking extremely bad for the UNS, like they captured and only still have the ship and crew SPECIFICALLY to study and steal its technology.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:15 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
keybounce wrote:

CARGO bay door, mind. And like he said, it's only possible if the target cooperates.

Also, this is looking extremely bad for the UNS, like they captured and only still have the ship and crew SPECIFICALLY to study and steal its technology.

Can you honestly blame them? The UNS has been on the wrong end of a technological disadvantage from ancient Oafan ships four times now, and that's just what we know about. Considering that said technology is also currently in the hands of a hostile rogue AI, the UNS has considerable incentive to learn what they can about those ships in general and about their long gun technology in particular.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:21 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

ushio wrote:
Nemoricus wrote:

That's been clear for awhile. It seems the Oafan keep long guns to the small corvettes making me wonder if during there use in the past 1 shot was all you got before counter battery fire. Just because it isn't known how to counter long guns now doesn't mean they didn't know in the past and would explain how they found Chinook so fast and why they only fit them to small more expendable ships.

I'd think that'd be rendered irrelevant by instantaneous teraports after shooting; it seems like the trace isn't tight enough to immediately target counterbattery fire.

But on the other hand, making the Long Gun ships cheaper means more Long Guns, and being bigger doesn't have any significant survivability benefit; at best it means one Long Gun shot per major annie plant. And if a ship would benefit from a Long Gun aboard rather than remotely calling for fire, it's probably got about four seconds before it takes a Long Gun hit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:24 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

ushio wrote:
Nemoricus wrote:

I once proposed that the reason the Ancient Oafans did it that way was because they expected to use scout-corvettes to both find the target in the first place, and to shoot it.

Theory being that in an open fleet battle in deep interstellar space, if everyone was manuevering wildly, jamming teraports, and jamming hypernode communications...

The only way to get a long-gun strike in would be to CARRY the long gun to within 1 light-second of the target, to that you can SEE where the target will be a second from now, and feed that information DIRECTLY to the long gun which is aboard your own ship.

And you would have to also manuever extremely quickly and unpredictably yourself, because the enemy is doing exactly the same thing to you.

Therefore, battle consists of swarms of corvettes trying to penetrate each other's manuevers, and there's really no point in mounting a long gun on something the size of battleship: The moment it gets within range of an enemy long-gun-corvette, the best case scenario is a 50-50 chance that the corvette will shoot first, and every shot in either direction is a kill shot. Who wants to trade battleships for corvettes at a 1-1 ratio?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:56 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Quote:
Who wants to trade battleships for corvettes at a 1-1 ratio?

Depends on how much miniaturised long guns cost.