The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:49 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Been thinking.

Where did the UNS find themselves in a position to make multiple of a new class of battle plate?

I’m betting our friendly admiral who is busy with search/seizure/detaining non-citizens etc in a less than fully polite manner may find himself short his own command very soon.

If the PTUs came from where I think they did, this may be the conversation from July 22nd coming back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:58 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Karfston wrote:
Where did the UNS find themselves in a position to make multiple of a new class of battle plate?

Here.

Quote:
I’m betting our friendly admiral who is busy with search/seizure/detaining non-citizens etc in a less than fully polite manner may find himself short his own command very soon.

Unlikely.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:09 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Karfston wrote:

Here.

Quote:

Unlikely.

It's a simple matter of history and pattern recognition. I'm not saying our heroes are going to remove him, hell, I don't even know HOW they'd do it. I AM saying that battleplates have a way of blowing up when they're around them.

(I wonder if anyone can recognize the quote)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:48 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Idunno, it takes an awfully long time to properly plan, design and build a whole new class of capital ships, especially when they're supposed to be innovative and/or testing platforms.
The UNS Navy has probably been squirreling away resources for a while now, and probably to the determent of the general population, cause "National Security"

It wouldn't shock me at all to find out that the seeds were planted here if not earlier.

And in world, that's still only...2 years ago at most. Early 3099 according to scratchpad timeline and the dates on the coins.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:50 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Daniel the Broc wrote:
Idunno, it takes an awfully long time to properly plan, design and build a whole new class of capital ships, especially when they're supposed to be innovative and/or testing platforms.

AI’s here think fast. Talk fast, and run oodles of simulations. Even in a firefight where seconds matter, they take the time to run simulations of what a shot will do before firing it.

I’ll grant they may have spent a full day on design given a PTU rich budget, but given the technology of the day, the limiter today really appears to be matter which does not naturally occur - PTUs.

You can build biological from nothing, not even needing to grow them. You can mine entire moons of their resources. They’ve even had people harvest mass from stars. What’s left to be scarce is PTUs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:17 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

All we know is that Planet Mercenary hasn't rated it yet, so presumably this is its first operational deployment, or very close. Tricorn plates take a meaningful amount of time to build, given Emm spent a while with one under construction, but probably not a wildly huge amount of time.

My bet is that construction started between the Teraport Wars and the attack on the capitol. But I also think they have some form of Long Gun countermeasure; otherwise they wouldn't be sent after the Toughs for their first deployment. The UNS knew about Creedomar, so they'd know Long Guns could exist during that period (the Gatekeepers likely discreetly eliminated their knowledge of how to make them) and may have taken measures. I doubt they've figured out a total defense the Oafans couldn't, but they may be designed to impede targeting or limit the damage inflicted by a single hit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:48 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

The UNS may have figured out either a total defence, or be on the track of one . . . that kind of thing is likely to be a breakthrough, and sometimes a person can follow up a lead a more experienced entity would have known wouldn't work . . . and make a breakthrough.

I'm not saying it's likely, but it's possible.

--FreeFlier