It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 10-2-2018 A theory
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:38 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Sean wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:
She probably hit Preheat on the CookieMeister, drug a tub of Double Cookie-Chip Chocolate out of the cooler (or had Nick do it), shell the lump of dough out into the hopper, then press Start.

And in eight minutes the product hits the cooling trays, then the stacker arranges them in an aesthetically pleasing manner.
Eh. Maybe. They may be the flagship, but they're still a ship.
A good cook with a sharp knife can do most of the things, and more besides, of a shelf full of expensive gadgets, in about the same amount of time, while taking up considerably less space and involving less finicky cleanup.

Maybe.

But it takes time . . . and people are really expensive.

It's not the initial cost, it's the support network: specifically life support, entertainment, quarters, etc.

Best to use people for the jobs that machinery can't do satisfactorily, and use machinery where you can . . . especially for drudgework.

Plus, this is a mercenary company . . . a dedicated cook is going to be really expensive, hard to find, and even harder to keep. (Now a neuroenhanced special-response (SWAT) marine that takes a secondary or tertiary M.O.S. as a gourmet chef . . . that can help with skill retention.)

Let the human cooks do the creative and small-quantity stuff, and automate the drudgework . . . except for the really bad stuff, which is used for punishment duty. (Though with mercenaries . . . :? )

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:22 am 
Carnie
Carnie

FreeFlier wrote:
Plus, this is a mercenary company . . . a dedicated cook is going to be really expensive, hard to find, and even harder to keep

Wait... is this really the argument you're going with? Trying to claim the one ship that we know that has a pair of dedicated cooks* would find it hard to find and keep a dedicated cook?

* One who was a diplomatic bomb and the other with a nigh useless degree in comparative Gal-West lit, with an emphasis on Memetic Terranism,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:39 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:
Plus, this is a mercenary company . . . a dedicated cook is going to be really expensive, hard to find, and even harder to keep

Wait... is this really the argument you're going with? Trying to claim the one ship that we know that has a pair of dedicated cooks* would find it hard to find and keep a dedicated cook? . . .

One of several arguments.

evileeyore wrote:
. . .
* One who was a diplomatic bomb and the other with a nigh useless degree in comparative Gal-West lit, with an emphasis on Memetic Terranism,

Exactly! Do you think they'd have a dedicated cook without those odd circumstances?

Most, even if hired, would quit as soon as they found a job that didn't take them into the line of fire.

Liz hasn't because of Nick. If it was just a job, she'd have quit already.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:14 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
. . .

FreeFlier wrote:
Exactly! Do you think they'd have a dedicated cook without those odd circumstances?

Most, even if hired, would quit as soon as they found a job that didn't take them into the line of fire.

--FreeFlier

You've never had to work fast food because people didn't respect your ability or education I take it.

Liz went from being a glorfied cashier at fake salad-bar because she couldn't find anything else, to a secure job that pays well, that provides excitement, following someone that she believes in and admires and where she's -respected-. That's powerful stuff, and especially for someone who has studied Gal-Lit, she's -seeing- the patterns that she's caught in she's bought into it.

I'll totally admit that Nik being there is a huge bonus and how she fell in with this crowd. And that she falls in that smallish subset of personality types that would thrive in this type of environment.

But my take on this is that she's found a -career- that she never knew she wanted, with people she's willing to hang it out on the line for. This isn't "Just a job" for her anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:46 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

FreeFlier wrote:

The original Toughs would have never bothered getting a chef. They ended up with Ch'vorthq so the Author could have some easy low-hanging food jokes, I suspect Liz ended up there to fix that (or just chasing the vagaries of plot, both meta-excuses are valid and serve with equal weight).

Quote:

Nick retired. Nick is there because of Liz the Morokweng being destroyed and then not getting off at Parnasus Dom... and then I suspect he was quietly hired into the role of Support Staff right along with Liz.

Mostly I suspect that last bit because Nick has been serving in a non-combat food service role ever since that last link.

Daniel the Broc wrote:
You've never had to work fast food because people didn't respect your ability or education I take it.

Liz went from being a glorfied cashier at fake salad-bar because she couldn't find anything else, to a secure job that pays well, that provides excitement, following someone that she believes in and admires and where she's -respected-. That's powerful stuff, and especially for someone who has studied Gal-Lit, she's -seeing- the patterns that she's caught in she's bought into it.

I'll totally admit that Nik being there is a huge bonus and how she fell in with this crowd. And that she falls in that smallish subset of personality types that would thrive in this type of environment.

But my take on this is that she's found a -career- that she never knew she wanted, with people she's willing to hang it out on the line for. This isn't "Just a job" for her anymore.

My assessment exactly.

(Sorry, I had to remove your urls from the quote, link limits in play)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:54 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

All true, but . . . try to do it again. Try to get another cook/chef like Liz.

I say that, realistically ( :roll: :roll: :roll: ), you're not going to be able to adequately staff the support side without extensive automation. And automation is cheaper and more reliable.

So you automate the crap out of the kitchen, (no offense to his seargency) and let the sentients provide the creativity.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:26 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

I was figuring that automating things would be more useful for times like this: when you need a large quantity of food in a very short amount of time. Even with a fully-staffed kitchen, I have some doubts that they'd have been able to turn out enough cookies for the whole ship in 10 minutes. (8 minutes 20 seconds to bake leaves about 1 minute to cool down enough that they won't fall apart or be too hot to touch - and then about 30 seconds to start putting them on plates before everyone gets to the mess hall.)

In the everyday course of things, the kitchen crew probably aren't relying that heavily on pure automation, even with the size of the rest of the crew and everyone having different meal shifts. But under normal circumstances, the kitchen crew probably have two or three hours (at least) for prep time and getting things ready, and they'd need at least half an hour (maybe an hour) to get the batter made, portioned, and baked into cookies. The automation is for when they don't have enough prep time to get the quantities they'll need, and can't stall for more time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:08 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

My thought is, at least with current tech, every new gadget consumes a chunk of space and only does one job.
Consider the typical modern kitchen* with...arranged on the top shelves gathering dust, 1 blender, 1 food processor, 1 sandwich/waffle grill...thing?, 1 crock pot, 1 fry daddy, 1 iced tea maker, 1 ice cube maker, 1 rotary slicer/dicer...thing (non-motorized, crank handle, great for grating cheese), 1 food dehydrator, 1 automatic pressure cooker, 1 bread maker, 1 hard plastic cookie extruder (not kidding, it's smoked brown plastic and comes with a set of dies, including some that look like Christmas cookies), 2 mixers (1 small handheld one and one with a stand), 1 handheld blender wand, 1 electric skillet** (extra large, so it won't fit in the sink, got a bigger sink?, next skillet will be bigger still...), 1 electric reciprocating knife (gets dug out every Thanksgiving), ...
To use any of these, first you need to clean it, because while it was put up clean, it has since had time to accumulate dust, and condensed grease. Then you use it, for a task that, if you were properly skilled, could generally be done with hand tools, (such as a sharp knife or a simple pot.) Then you have to clean the thing, and all its myriad parts, many of them sharp, before sticking it back up on the shelf over the stove to collect a fresh layer of dust and grease for next time.
Knowing how to use a knife suddenly saves time over digging out a tool, and cleaning it twice, in order to maybe save half the time to dice something, by just feeding it into the maw.

The things you would have in a space constrained kitchen are the things you use every day, or at least every few days and you wouldn't really bother with putting away. Specialty gear, especially space consuming specialty gear, just isn't worth the cubage.

Now, a quick way to produce cookies, which, from the subtext, are very popular and probably a frequent treat, might be the one piece of specialized gear you keep around, especially if it's kept on standby for things like this; stalling while something more filling can be prepared. The same would go for the coffee maker. Sure, you can make coffee in a pan, but if you're making it every day, possibly multiple times a day, that specialized tool ceases to be an underused tool and easily pays for itself in its cubage costs.
Frankly, better than any combination of enclosed, motorized tools with finicky cleaning needs would be one bushbot that can clean itself and use regular knives. Tailor, while a tailor and a surgeon, would be a better choice for a field cook for human mercenaries, who were limited in their hiring choices. Can't hire one? Get an HV-1 license and roll your own.

*I'm combining two kitchens I'm familiar with, and most of those appliances have long been disposed of...for being of little value and taking up space. This in a ground based pair of kitchens, one which has a high ceiling.

**There were years, growing up, when that skillet, or one of its predecessors, was the single most used kitchen appliance after the microwave.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:03 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

FreeFlier wrote:
So you automate the crap out of the kitchen, (no offense to his seargency) and let the sentients provide the creativity.

They probably have. But, as Ch'vorthq was still the Chef (at least of Broken Wind), I imagine the automation was used primarily for speed reasons and Ch'vorthq and Liz still got involved in the actually preparation.

Sean wrote:
My thought is, at least with current tech, every new gadget consumes a chunk of space and only does one job.

Until your post I hadn't realized how many gadgets I had in my kitchen (I tend to avoid gadgets), but not counting pots, pans, toaster, toaster oven, refrigerator, stove, cutlery, dishwasher, and sink (all of which only do one job), I have 5 gadgets. Rice cooker (get's used at least once a month), blender (ditto), meat grinder (about once every 2 months), hand-held electric mixer (maybe every 4 months) and a George Foreman electric grill (never used even once in all the years I've had it, it was a gift).

Quote:
To use any of these, first you need to clean it, because while it was put up clean, it has since had time to accumulate dust, and condensed grease.

I could see dust if you leave it laying out on an open shelf... but grease? How often do you run the fry daddy without proper ventilation?

And no, I don't have to clean any of the gadgets I use, they stay pretty clean between using as they in a cupboard with good doors, or have covers (every thing but the grill* and rice cooker have a cover or bag).

* I'll be honest, the grill might be dust covered... it's way in the back of the corner cupboard under the counter, so I almost even forgot it existed.

Quote:
Then you use it, for a task that, if you were properly skilled, could generally be done with hand tools, (such as a sharp knife or a simple pot.)

The knife and pot are gadgets, I get that you don't think of them that way, but they are.

Quote:
Knowing how to use a knife suddenly saves time over digging out a tool, and cleaning it twice, in order to maybe save half the time to dice something, by just feeding it into the maw.

Sure, if you accumulate useless gadgets, I can see that.

Quote:
The things you would have in a space constrained kitchen are the things you use every day, or at least every few days and you wouldn't really bother with putting away.

For me it's less space constraint (I have a very spacious kitchen, which is annoying*), but rather money constraint. I still can't quite justify the cost of a fry daddy, despite really wanting one†.

* Sumptuously huge kitchen/dinning room combo, huge living room, nicely sized garage, tiny, diky, cramped bedrooms.
† Because I want it for one job and one job only: Deep frying tater-tots. French fries would be good too.

Quote:
Now, a quick way to produce cookies, which, from the subtext, are very popular and probably a frequent treat, might be the one piece of specialized gear you keep around, especially if it's kept on standby for things like this; stalling while something more filling can be prepared.

It's probably a Comest-I-spense. Hopefully more advanced than the model 2 which Cindercone had.

Quote:
Frankly, better than any combination of enclosed, motorized tools with finicky cleaning needs would be one bushbot that can clean itself and use regular knives. Tailor, while a tailor and a surgeon, would be a better choice for a field cook for human mercenaries, who were limited in their hiring choices.

Tailor is a crap choice though, as his built in equipment is designed not for cooking, but cutting (comedically oversized shears) and stitching. And with a full diagnostic, surgical, tailoring and armoring libraries, there might not be room for a culinary suite.

But yes, a multi-purpose bot (or even just a purely robotic kitchen, which I suspect a Comest-I-Spense is) would probably be best for most merc companies. The Toughs used to subsist on premade food dispensers alone, but they still had a kitchen (I suspect the grunts cooked for themselves if they wanted something fancier, as they also had a refrigerator).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:25 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
I could see dust if you leave it laying out on an open shelf... but grease? How often do you run the fry daddy without proper ventilation?

I grew up in a house where the hood was an afterthought. It didn't vent outside, but rather through a filter and a vent in the front, and the fans were not strong enough to catch everything, anyway. There was a floor above the kitchen, so rigging a better hood vent was a non-starter.
The house was standing before any of us were breathing. Lots of things were afterthoughts, like the electric lights, (although, I'm told it did once have gas light.)

That, and I grew up eating a lot of fried foods; either from the fry daddy or the electric skillet. Mostly the electric skillet, which wasn't used under the hood, anyway, as usually some form of noodle or rice would be cooking on the stove to go with whatever was in the skillet, there was usually something cooling on another burner, and the skillet was always a bit too big to keep over just one burner.
And the kitchen had been remodeled during a brief period when open cabinets were in vogue.

Oh, and you do know they make different sizes of fry-daddy, right?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:33 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Sean wrote:
That, and I grew up eating a lot of fried foods...

Yeah... that would probably do it. I grew up with us doing the frying in the grill... now I've got a 'decentish' hood on the oven, but I also don't fry a lot and when I do I ventilate the kitchen by opening the windows and sliding patio doors.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:05 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Remember, you're comparing a commercial/institutional kitchen to a home kitchen . . . things that don't get much use in a home kitchen will see daily use in a professional kitchen.

Instance: fry-daddy vs. deep-frier. A professional kitchen will start the grill and the deep-frier each morning as a matter of course.

Instance: George Foreman vs. commercial griddle 3' x 6' (1m x 2m). commercial griddle wins, hands-down. (And see above.)

Instance: food processor vs. knife. When you need to slice 4 bushels of potatoes, you're not going to use a knife. (The home food processor is a light-duty version of a professional tool.)

Instance: Can opener. A commercial-grade can opener is a table-mounted gadget up to a half-meter tall - and costing several hundred dollars - that opens cans up to 28cm (11') tall , not those wimpy little $10 things that you crank around the can . . . if you can get them to cut.

Instance: home mixer vs. industrial bakery mixer: they'll look somewhat alike, but an industrial unit will be six feet (180 cm) tall, bolted to the deck, and the bowl will have wheels on it because you're not lifting it when it's full of dough or whatever.

The galleys will have lots of automation or semi-automation. Anything else is idiocy.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:20 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

FreeFlier wrote:
The galleys will have lots of automation or semi-automation. Anything else is idiocy.

Or they have a fully-unlocked PMH-44 Fabberchow, which replaces all that primitive semi-automation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:53 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Also, Liz has a shown knack of being able to provide tangibly useful insight into many situations with both her food and useful aphorisms, from Tagon's discovery of the metallocytes for the Oafans to helping Kathryn and her intel team quite a few times. Similar to a bartender, she's a very good sounding board.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:14 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

You're also listing a lot of things as unitaskers that...aren't actually unitaskers. The blender? Works for anything that needs to be pureed, it's not just for making smoothies in. The food processor can shred and slice anything you put into it; my family uses it to shred potatoes, because hand-grating enough to make anything would take approximately five forevers and no one's got time for that. The crockpot can make a wide variety of dishes, including rice. Both mixers work for anything that needs whipping or mixing, but would be tedious or exhausting to do manually. The handheld blender wand is great for pureeing things more finely, without needing to move it into a different container or requiring you to do batches - my household often uses it for lentil soup, for example, where it'd be time-consuming and messy to try and use the regular blender for it. Even the fry daddy, the electric skillet, and the electric knife aren't truly unitaskers - the electric knife is a knife, the electric skillet can be used for anything that you'd use a regular skillet for, and the fry daddy could probably be used for deep frying anything that'll fit into the basket.

If all you use these things for is one specific task, then that's on you. It doesn't mean that they are a unitasker inherently.

Plus, as FreeFlier noted, a commercial or institutional kitchen is not going to be structured the same way as a home kitchen. It can't be, because the volumes of prepwork and cooking done in a professional kitchen are just at a completely different scale from what most people do in their home kitchens. Even during Thanksgiving or Christmas, or any other holiday meal where most of your family is getting together for dinner, you're making food for...maybe a dozen people, these days, at most. A professional kitchen is making food for three or four times that many people a day. One of the things that contestants in shows like Masterchef often struggle with is creating enough prepped ingredients to make portions that will feed everyone they have to - often over a hundred guests - and they're usually interviewed at least once, stating that they're not used to working with volumes like this. In a professional kitchen, you automate as much as you can so that things can get done without needing to have either a massive number of people working, or spending half a day working on the prep for one meal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:57 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:
You're also listing a lot of things as unitaskers that...aren't actually unitaskers. The blender? Works for anything that needs to be pureed, it's not just for making smoothies in. The food processor can shred and slice anything you put into it; my family uses it to shred potatoes, because hand-grating enough to make anything would take approximately five forevers and no one's got time for that. The crockpot can make a wide variety of dishes, including rice. Both mixers work for anything that needs whipping or mixing, but would be tedious or exhausting to do manually. The handheld blender wand is great for pureeing things more finely, without needing to move it into a different container or requiring you to do batches - my household often uses it for lentil soup, for example, where it'd be time-consuming and messy to try and use the regular blender for it. Even the fry daddy, the electric skillet, and the electric knife aren't truly unitaskers - the electric knife is a knife, the electric skillet can be used for anything that you'd use a regular skillet for, and the fry daddy could probably be used for deep frying anything that'll fit into the basket.

If all you use these things for is one specific task, then that's on you. It doesn't mean that they are a unitasker inherently.

Plus, as FreeFlier noted, a commercial or institutional kitchen is not going to be structured the same way as a home kitchen. It can't be, because the volumes of prepwork and cooking done in a professional kitchen are just at a completely different scale from what most people do in their home kitchens. Even during Thanksgiving or Christmas, or any other holiday meal where most of your family is getting together for dinner, you're making food for...maybe a dozen people, these days, at most. A professional kitchen is making food for three or four times that many people a day. One of the things that contestants in shows like Masterchef often struggle with is creating enough prepped ingredients to make portions that will feed everyone they have to - often over a hundred guests - and they're usually interviewed at least once, stating that they're not used to working with volumes like this. In a professional kitchen, you automate as much as you can so that things can get done without needing to have either a massive number of people working, or spending half a day working on the prep for one meal.

Some of what we're saying matches up. My "unitaskers", are certainly capable of being used for a wide variety of purposes, while a coffee maker, (unless it's a Kurig,) can't. Where my "unitaskers" fail is they were dug out maybe a few times a year, often less than once a year, for a single task. The mixer might get used to bake a cake, or make real mashed potatoes, a few times a year. The fry daddy, long since relegated to the trash heap, for awhile was used to make fried shrimp and french fries interchangeably, every few weeks, but had fallen into disuse. It's not that there aren't tasks that CAN be put to, its that none of the evergreen menu choices called for them.

A commercial kitchen WILL have several single-use appliances, and a good number of more flexible appliances, but those appliances will see daily, or at least weekly use. Anything that can't be pressed into service more often is dead weight, and you're better off looking for another way of doing the same job.
Your can opener is used every single day, several times a meal. Your mixer is used similarly.

I'd say the question comes down to how variable the menu is. If everyone is being offered something fried, pretty much with every meal, (fried shrimp, french fries, corndogs, etc,) there is almost certainly a dedicated fryer on hand. If there is at least one menu item that is cooked on a grill, daily, if not three times a day, there is almost certainly a grill. If not, odds are hamburgers are fried on a skillet rather than pay the cubage to also have a grill.
If the menu is different every day, and each day would use a different specialized tool or two from the day before, I still argue it's cheaper to use a generalist cook, who knows her stuff, over a specialty piece of gear that only gets set up and used once in a blue moon.

And, again, references to the cookies keep coming up, at least as far back as when Schlock was complaining about not being on the same ship as Liz, so cookies are probably offered with every meal.

Oh, and I spent a little time in fast food. Most of our stuff came pre-made from Corporate in thick plastic baggies. We just needed to pre-warm it in the warmer box, drop it in the pan, and drop the pan in the steam table. The cheese was pre-shredded, the vegetables, mostly, came pre-diced, and there was a dicer on the wall for the DAILY task of preparing the rest for use. But there was no way that place could have made anything but the menu items that were printed above the cash registers.

But I doubt the mercenaries have been eating essentially at the same fast food restaurant for the last several months; they haven't mutinied. (Although, everything pureed didn't drive them to mutiny, so maybe not.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:52 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Look at that, Liz is getting a pay rise.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:20 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Reaver225 wrote:

Only if she accepts the job. She literally just ran away from it moments ago.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:41 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

Only if she accepts the job. She literally just ran away from it moments ago.

She ran away from once again putting her foot where it didn't belong, and chewing.
Now that her input has been requested, and welcomed, her involvement should be simpler.
She ran away from stepping out of line, and now the brass has drawn a new line.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:38 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Sean wrote:
She ran away from once again putting her foot where it didn't belong, and chewing.

I challenge you to point out any time Liz has ever done that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:38 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

I think Sean is trying to say that Liz ran away because she didn't realize the brass would actually welcome her input. Now that she's been told her opinion is actually welcome, by the brass themselves no less, she may take the job.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:16 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I wonder what kind of officer she'd make...

Probably a decent one. But for right now, she's like "Oh crap... I done got volunteered! Me and my big mouth.."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:44 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

macnut wrote:
I think Sean is trying to say that Liz ran away because she didn't realize the brass would actually welcome her input.

Except... they always have before. Even the very first time, when she called Kaff to the carpet over him not having his challenge coin (in possibly the most obnoxious manner she is capable of, which was still excessively polite) and then asked that he do his job, he accepted her input and took it to heart*.

No, Liz's fear stems from "this problem is above-my-personal-pay-grade-itis". In other words, she fears the feeling of personal responsibility her input will bring. Off the cuff remarks that reshape the future are one thing, being called out to help reshape the future is another.

* Note the look of concentration on Kaff's face at the end. He was doing some heavy thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:24 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
macnut wrote:
I think Sean is trying to say that Liz ran away because she didn't realize the brass would actually welcome her input.

Except... they always have before. Even the very first time, when she called Kaff to the carpet over him not having his challenge coin (in possibly the most obnoxious manner she is capable of, which was still excessively polite) and then asked that he do his job, he accepted her input and took it to heart*.

No, Liz's fear stems from "this problem is above-my-personal-pay-grade-itis". In other words, she fears the feeling of personal responsibility her input will bring. Off the cuff remarks that reshape the future are one thing, being called out to help reshape the future is another.

* Note the look of concentration on Kaff's face at the end. He was doing some heavy thinking.

Whether or not those whom she addressed recognized the wisdom in her words, and took them to heart, she still stuck her foot in her mouth by volunteering advice and tidbits where it was not asked. This is the company that has learned to just "roll with it" when Schlock pipes up. Had it been just about anyone else, she would have been invited to kindly shut up, especially if what she had to say was immediately recognizable as true.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:31 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Traditionally, the bartender has this role. Even Guinian from The Next Generation had the role of "give useful relevant soundbites to spur people into a different way of looking at the problem".

As said before, if they needed just a way to get fed, they have machines to feed the grunts. Liz has gotten away with it not just because she is in good company, she is similarly to the chaplain a good philosophical support officer. Even if that isn't what she's paid in the company ranking.