The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:09 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

So, I doubt any of us saw it coming that Liz will play such a pivotal role as a fountain of forgotten knowledge otherwise known as "History". Those of you who did, congrats! Well noticed, well observed, and you're in full right of telling the rest of us "I told you so".

No, but really. I do wonder what she can do now. In fact, after the last few comics, I wonder what she actually knows. Allegedly a lot, but let's see if she needs to bring a tray of cookies to be able to say what she has to say.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:43 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Restless Soul wrote:
. . . Allegedly a lot, but let's see if she needs to bring a tray of cookies to be able to say what she has to say.

Hey, there are worse quirks for a briefer to have . . .

And it should cut down on late arrivals and no-shows!

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:41 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Restless Soul wrote:
So, I doubt any of us saw it coming that Liz will play such a pivotal role as a fountain of forgotten knowledge otherwise known as "History". Those of you who did, congrats! Well noticed, well observed, and you're in full right of telling the rest of us "I told you so".

No, but really. I do wonder what she can do now. In fact, after the last few comics, I wonder what she actually knows. Allegedly a lot, but let's see if she needs to bring a tray of cookies to be able to say what she has to say.

It's not what she knows, it's her skill-set. She has the expertise to research historical subjects and look for long-term trends. In other words, it's not that she knows history, it's that she knows how to gather knowledge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:47 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Under orders to speak freely.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:01 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

There is such a state as ‘knowing enough to be dangerous.’
This is when, as an example, a vehicle with an automatic mode of operation includes a hidden manual mode of operation. Knowing the mode exists and how to access it doesn’t mean you’ll also know how to drive, or implicitly prevent you from driving after you have fondue day 4 bottles of concentrated cleaning solvent, or been in the presence of an amorph that has.

Liz is in a related state, ‘knowing that she knows enough to be dangerous.’ This is akin to knowing about the manual mode of operation, and that touching it can cause loss of limb or life. Now her boss’s boss has asked her to mess with the dangerous stuff, not knowing that loss of life or limb can result.