The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:09 am 
Offline
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:56 am
Posts: 12
While reading this epsiode, it occurred to me that building a teraport cage into soldiers' helmets would be a useful method of emergency medevac.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:29 pm 
Offline
Concession Worker
Concession Worker
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:55 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: City of Brotherly Love
Long as there wasn't any hostile TAD in operation, that is.

_________________
The MacNut
Artist and writer of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero comic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:45 pm 
Offline
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:56 am
Posts: 12
macnut wrote:
Long as there wasn't any hostile TAD in operation, that is.

That's what a teraport cage is for - getting through hostile TAD.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:09 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 421
Why put it in their helmet when you could put it in their skull instead?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:32 pm 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:28 pm
Posts: 82
If you put it in the helmet, you can probably get the whole head - which would make for a faster regen than having to work from just the brain would, probably.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:14 pm 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2627
Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:
If you put it in the helmet...

You could also put it in their armor.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:29 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 481
evileeyore wrote:
Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:
If you put it in the helmet...

You could also put it in their armor.


Maybe, but if the terraport cage's geometry is fickle, the helmet doesn't have as much articulation, potentially interfering with the cage's function, as the rest of the suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:57 pm 
Offline
Concession Worker
Concession Worker
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1338
Sean wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:
If you put it in the helmet...

You could also put it in their armor.


Maybe, but if the terraport cage's geometry is fickle, the helmet doesn't have as much articulation, potentially interfering with the cage's function, as the rest of the suit.

plus what happens if there's a glove missing? Be easier to just take back the head so you know what to expect.

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:01 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 619
And now, watch as Tagon teraports his brain into pieces so he can have a talk with Thurl.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:10 pm 
Offline
Concession Worker
Concession Worker
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:55 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: City of Brotherly Love
All he'd need to do is get some kind of VR headset and then electronically connect to the virtual "afterlife" where Thurl's mind resides. No teraporting of any kind needed.

I can just imagine how that conversation would start. "What the #@$%! Thurl????" :lol:

_________________
The MacNut
Artist and writer of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero comic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm
Posts: 449
Captain, think of how much better I can be of service when I don't have meat-brain speed limitations?

_________________
I hope Para never plays with Tenzy. The result would be terrifying.
Para and Petey need to have some dialog together. Just because.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 481
keybounce wrote:
Captain, think of how much better I can be of service when I don't have meat-brain speed limitations?


That first conversation with the revived Tagon took weeks. Just because the computers run faster doesn't mean they can simulate meat at 1:1 or faster; they might actually go significantly slower.

Of course, if this is true, it wouldn't be true for long. Petey has every reason to refine his designs to simulate multiple human(ish) brains at faster effective clockspeeds: Thurl might well be able to go through an hours worth of contemplation while Tagon's finger reaches for the "connect" button.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:27 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 619
Quote:
Petey has every reason to refine his designs to simulate multiple human(ish) brains at faster effective clockspeeds: Thurl might well be able to go through an hours worth of contemplation while Tagon's finger reaches for the "connect" button.

If he's willing to trust other people's designs (he probably isn't) the data from the Allstar that whatshisbrain had would definitely help, since he's an uploaded intelligence as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 421
Sean wrote:
keybounce wrote:
Captain, think of how much better I can be of service when I don't have meat-brain speed limitations?


That first conversation with the revived Tagon took weeks. Just because the computers run faster doesn't mean they can simulate meat at 1:1 or faster; they might actually go significantly slower.

Of course, if this is true, it wouldn't be true for long. Petey has every reason to refine his designs to simulate multiple human(ish) brains at faster effective clockspeeds: Thurl might well be able to go through an hours worth of contemplation while Tagon's finger reaches for the "connect" button.

I assumed that Tagon was downclocked to minimize boredom and hardware resources. His brain needed to be active, but he didn't actually need to do anything, so may as well slow him down enough so that by the time the conversation was finished, he was out of the simulation.

The most recent simulation clearly took place at a faster speed. The revival process for the whole crew couldn't have been THAT much longer than for Tagon, but they managed to play out their little game to a satisfactory conclusion. Maybe still not 1:1 (or maybe faster, we don't know), but clearly an improvement.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:54 pm 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 99
It’s not like Thurl’s brain needed to be active - the backup copy shouldn’t suffer from bit-rot. But it could be polite to give them a chance to acclimate to the idea ‘all the stuff in my cabin is gone. My ant farm went up in monatomic vapor...’ this works better if they have the ability to call loved ones and order replacement clothing/furniture/antimatter(for the ant farm...) while in the simulated reality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:15 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 493
grahamf wrote:
Sean wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
You could also put it in their armor.


Maybe, but if the terraport cage's geometry is fickle, the helmet doesn't have as much articulation, potentially interfering with the cage's function, as the rest of the suit.

plus what happens if there's a glove missing? Be easier to just take back the head so you know what to expect.



Considering a Teraport cage apparently needs to be sealed, you'd only be *able* to take the head.

A Teraport *gate* seems to have similar issues as a regular Teraport does, but it's possible to just walk through it rather than port over 'static'.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group