The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:46 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

So what did their unauthorized probe get up to?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:16 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Hmm ...

In this universe, did humans invent hyperspace travel, or were we discovered by others / purchased the technology?

I can't think of anything from Howard that answers that question.

If we invented it, maybe we found and dissected the probe?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:39 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Crashing, if the planet is Earth. Given the timeframe and all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:41 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

keybounce wrote:
Hmm ...

In this universe, did humans invent hyperspace travel, or were we discovered by others / purchased the technology?

In this universe, the first iteration of FTL that humans got was gifted to them by the Gatekeepers, as part of the Gatekeepers expansion of their mercantile empire (and secret spying program). A human by the name of Kevyn Andreyasn then when on to invent (in this civilization cycle) convenient FTL travel by means of the teraport. Both the teraport and the Gatekeeper's gates operate on the same principle, which is taking advantage of hyperspace connections that are somehow related to dark matter.

If you mean hyperspace communication, then no, no in-comic explanation for its orgin has been given. At a guess, I would say the Gatekeepers use it as part of their gate network (which expands at slower-then-light speeds, but covers the galaxy), so it would predate humanity.

Last edited by Motortiki on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:15 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

I think this is all leading up to humanity meeting the original sapient species of Earth.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:50 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

The image of the globe (from 12-10-2018) does look kinda familiar, almost like things might have looked a handful of million years ago...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:20 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Motortiki wrote:
keybounce wrote:
Hmm ...

In this universe, the first iteration of FTL that humans got was gifted to them by the Gatekeepers, as part of the Gatekeepers expansion of their mercantile empire (and secret spying program). A human by the name of Kevyn Andreyasn then when on to invent (in this civilization cycle) convenient FTL travel by means of the teraport. Both the teraport and the Gatekeeper's gates operate on the same principle, which is taking advantage of hyperspace connections that are somehow related to dark matter.

If you mean hyperspace communication, then no, no in-comic explanation for its orgin has been given. At a guess, I would say the Gatekeepers use it as part of their gate network (which expands at slower-then-light speeds, but covers the galaxy), so it would predate humanity.

I don't believe the gates operated on the same princple at all, that was kind of the point. Teraports annoy the Dames, so the gates were invented to NOT annoy them. The difference is that one functions by ripping holes in space and pushing matter through them, and the other simply makes a copy on the opposite side, probably after communicating what to create via something like a hypernet connection.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:44 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

sotanaht wrote:
I don't believe the gates operated on the same princple at all, that was kind of the point.
They both operate by pushing stuff through wormholes.

sotanaht wrote:
one functions by ripping holes in space and pushing matter through them, and the other simply makes a copy on the opposite side, probably after communicating what to create via something like a hypernet connection.
The teraport works by converting matter into information (gravity waves) and pushing them through lots of tiny wormholes.

I can't remember if the exact mechanism of the gates is explained, but since a 1 meter wormhole isn't large enough for a spaceship and it can copy things, we know it's moving data, not matter.

So neither move matter directly, and both move objects by pushing data through wormholes. The only difference in principle is that the teraport uses lots of tiny wormholes, while the gate uses one big one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:26 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

It might simply be that the gate functions as a terraport cage, isolating the deleterious effects from the Panurii, or it could simply be that they occur in consistent locations, so the Panurii can avoid those tiny regions of space, in the same way we might avoid an active volcano or open air industrial site.

Better a few uncomfortable spaces, rarely more than a half dozen near any one star, than having terraports pop up all over the place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:27 pm 
Intern
Intern

Chainlynx wrote:
I think this is all leading up to humanity meeting the original sapient species of Earth.

Yes, it seems we're watching the story of what, for lack of a better name, I'm going to call the Voth.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:45 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Fishman wrote:
Chainlynx wrote:

Yes, it seems we're watching the story of what, for lack of a better name, I'm going to call the Voth.

Why not just call them dinosaurs?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:19 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Sean wrote:
Fishman wrote:
Chainlynx wrote:

'Dinosaurs' is a large umbrella. T-rex and stegosaurus are dinosaurs: so are modern hawks and falcons. It would be like calling humans 'mammals'.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:25 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Fishman wrote:
Chainlynx wrote:

If we are going to assign a made up name for them, I vote for Reptites, in homage to Chrono Trigger. The Voth didn't evolve until after the asteroid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:40 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

sotanaht wrote:
Fishman wrote:
Chainlynx wrote:

If we are going to assign a made up name for them, I vote for Reptites, in homage to Chrono Trigger. The Voth didn't evolve until after the asteroid

Can we call the comet Lavos?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:45 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Motortiki wrote:
Sean wrote:
Chainlynx wrote:
Fishman wrote:

'Dinosaurs' is a large umbrella. T-rex and stegosaurus are dinosaurs: so are modern hawks and falcons. It would be like calling humans 'mammals'.

Calling humans "mammals" does make sense for a foreign alien race... and is a little more polite than "things"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:12 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

It looks like more than just the sapients were rescued so I say Dinosaurs.

Pronounced, according to Mr. DNA, Di-No-Sawrs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:51 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

What if the Gatekeepers were the dinosaurs? Would explain why they appear to have such a significantly long history.

Probably not, but it would be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:26 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

NullDragon wrote:
What if the Gatekeepers were the dinosaurs? Would explain why they appear to have such a significantly long history.

Probably not, but it would be interesting.

...wouldn't that mean that firing up the tearaport cage turned out to be VERY dangerous?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:10 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

This had better not be an effing prelude to the dinosaurs coming back and demanding the Earth because it was theirs first like the Oafans did.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:05 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
This had better not be an effing prelude to the dinosaurs coming back and demanding the Earth because it was theirs first like the Oafans did.

I feel like those are two different situations, though. The dinosaurs demanding Earth back would be them demanding a planet...from a civilization that evolved there and has had several million years to get settled in. The Oafans demanding their station and ships back is entirely different - the Oafans are requesting the return of property, not real estate, and stating that they did not voluntarily cede control of that property (that is, that the reason the property seemed abandoned was because they'd been murdered) and there is legal precedent even in the real world for "this item was stolen, and you need to return it even though you didn't know it was stolen".

The legal precedent for "this was our house first, even though we moved out several (million) years ago" is generally not one that favours the people who moved out, though, especially not when the new owners had reason to believe the place was abandoned.

(Also, I suspect that the Oafans are demanding their property back because they never really had time to come to terms with it leaving their possession. From their perspective, they had it yesterday...and now there's a whole bunch of new kids running around with their stuff, claiming it was abandoned. I doubt it would actually stand up in court, but it'd be the sort of thing that would drag out long enough that it's easier to come to an agreement instead - especially when there's other issues at stake, like dealing with the Dark Matter Entities, and figuring out what keeps wiping out civilizations if it isn't them.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:18 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

I feel like those are two different situations, though. The dinosaurs demanding Earth back would be them demanding a planet...from a civilization that evolved there and has had several million years to get settled in. The Oafans demanding their station and ships back is entirely different - the Oafans are requesting the return of property, not real estate, and stating that they did not voluntarily cede control of that property (that is, that the reason the property seemed abandoned was because they'd been murdered) and there is legal precedent even in the real world for "this item was stolen, and you need to return it even though you didn't know it was stolen".

The legal precedent for "this was our house first, even though we moved out several (million) years ago" is generally not one that favours the people who moved out, though, especially not when the new owners had reason to believe the place was abandoned.

(Also, I suspect that the Oafans are demanding their property back because they never really had time to come to terms with it leaving their possession. From their perspective, they had it yesterday...and now there's a whole bunch of new kids running around with their stuff, claiming it was abandoned. I doubt it would actually stand up in court, but it'd be the sort of thing that would drag out long enough that it's easier to come to an agreement instead - especially when there's other issues at stake, like dealing with the Dark Matter Entities, and figuring out what keeps wiping out civilizations if it isn't them.)

Except it's a similar thing. The neoafans who existed in the can gave permission, and they DID evolve in the can, the dinosaurs lost control over their world forcibly (by being teraported away), and the original Oafans were still RUNNING in the Can's computers. Time has progressed for them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
Except it's a similar thing. The neoafans who existed in the can gave permission, and they DID evolve in the can, the dinosaurs lost control over their world forcibly (by being teraported away), and the original Oafans were still RUNNING in the Can's computers. Time has progressed for them.

Weren't the Neoafans reverse-engineered by the Prabstdi from a derelict Oafan ship that they found?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:22 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Barmaglot wrote:
Weren't the Neoafans reverse-engineered by the Prabstdi from a derelict Oafan ship that they found?

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Two things:

1 - The Ofans demanding their stuff back didn't just "die yesterday" by their own standards. They've experienced the intervening time as it happened. They just couldn't interact or view the outside world, they've been locked in the simulation all this time.

2 - The NeOfans were reverse engineered by the Prabstdi. They didn't evolve in the can.

3 - The bug hive mind did however.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:37 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:

Isn't that a stronger argument FOR the newly resurrected Oafan though?

For the dinosaur descendants (unless shown otherwise) the argument is "This is our ancestral home, we may/may not want it back cause inheritance." And let's face it, if that was an argument that flew among human tribes.....

For the Oafan it's not a "This is my ancestor's legacy" when it comes to things like Breath Weapon. It's very literally "This was my very own ship that was taken from my very own hands and I can produce the very old receipt from my pocket"

I"m not saying that they aren't being a little bit of a dick about it and I'm really curious how the variios Tkkus hive minds work into it now as evolved heirs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:30 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Kendrakirai wrote:
The dinosaurs demanding Earth back would be them demanding a planet...from a civilization that evolved there and has had several million years to get settled in. The Oafans demanding their station and ships back is entirely different - the Oafans are requesting the return of property, not real estate, and stating that they did not voluntarily cede control of that property (that is, that the reason the property seemed abandoned was because they'd been murdered) and there is legal precedent even in the real world for "this item was stolen, and you need to return it even though you didn't know it was stolen".
I think you're not understanding how big precisely Ein-Oafa is. It's the size of a small planet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:47 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Reaver225 wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:
The dinosaurs demanding Earth back would be them demanding a planet...from a civilization that evolved there and has had several million years to get settled in. The Oafans demanding their station and ships back is entirely different - the Oafans are requesting the return of property, not real estate, and stating that they did not voluntarily cede control of that property (that is, that the reason the property seemed abandoned was because they'd been murdered) and there is legal precedent even in the real world for "this item was stolen, and you need to return it even though you didn't know it was stolen".
I think you're not understanding how big precisely Ein-Oafa is. It's the size of a small planet.

If by 'small planet', you mean big enough to hold Mars and have room for it to rattle, then sure: Eina-afa is the size of a small planet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:10 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Also, the bugs had evolved there, and had given permission. They seem to be being completely ignored.

The dinosaurs demanding Earth back wouldnt be that different from the original Oafans wanting their stuff back.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:01 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Motortiki wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

If by 'small planet', you mean big enough to hold Mars and have room for it to rattle, then sure: Eina-afa is the size of a small planet.

Are we factoring in the spindle and baffles?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:59 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
Motortiki wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

Are we factoring in the spindle and baffles?

I am not. Though I suppose Mars would still fit and rattle if you sectioned it appropriately.

Fun fact, if you factor in the spindle, pillars, and baffles, Eina-afa has significantly more surface area than Earth. (By about 200 million kmĀ²)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:00 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

So, small planet, especially comparing it to gas giants!