The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:01 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

I hope this means she no longer needs his permission, and not the other thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:08 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

grahamf wrote:

I think it means she needs to start using the chain of command, as in she's been going straight to the Commodore since her promotion and it's time she start rattling the chain properly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:32 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:

I think it means she needs to start using the chain of command, as in she's been going straight to the Commodore since her promotion and it's time she start rattling the chain properly.

That makes sense, but what chain of command? I'm not even sure the company HAS ranks in between "lieutenant" and "commander", and the only commanders have already been promoted to captain. So that leaves captain Murtaugh as the only other person she could go to. Just bumping things one step down the ladder like this would be awfully petty.

Not needing permission would be a much better possibility, both for practical and comedic reasons, so that's probably it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:10 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Poor Liz.

Karl is going directly to the "break the new soldier down", specifically "break her down into an officer".

Liz has had her "ask for permission" rights removed, because as someone with low confidence she has a pathological need to not have the blame be on her and be allowed to do things by others.

You can see traces of this all the way back from where "her salad nearly killed someone" back on Mall 1 where she nearly had a breakdown.

She now needs to act on her own initiative.

Of course, a Tough officer will sometimes not have time to ask for permission. She may need to tell Petey "Shoot UNS command NOW they are about to order a decapitation strike on all other world powers in the me next 5 seconds" and she cannot allow the luxury of having to talk it over with Tagon Senior.

It's the right step for old school officer training that Tagon Senior would do (like he traumatised Kaff) and I hate that it'll be traumatic for her.

Very good characterisation, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:22 am 
Carnie
Carnie

sotanaht wrote:
That makes sense, but what chain of command? I'm not even sure the company HAS ranks in between "lieutenant" and "commander"...

Lieutenant - Lieutenant Commander - Commander - Captain - Commodore.

Karl is a Commodore, Liz is an Lieutenant. There are three steps between them on the chain of command.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:10 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
sotanaht wrote:
That makes sense, but what chain of command? I'm not even sure the company HAS ranks in between "lieutenant" and "commander"...

Karl is a Commodore, Liz is an Lieutenant. There are three steps between them on the chain of command.

Careful. There are three ranks between Liz and Karl Tagon, but that does not mean that there are three steps in the chain of command between them. For an extreme example of the difference in the real world, senior NCOs act as advisors to full generals, despite there being ten ranks between them.

Even if you restrict yourself to the officer corps, it's not uncommon to see a difference of two ranks between a commander and their subordinates. Four, like Liz and Karl, is a bit odd, but I'm sure it happens.

With all that said, I think it's likely that Liz does, in fact, report directly to Karl Tagon. Her little research project is of interest to the entire company, and so Karl Tagon may wish to oversee it himself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:03 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Nemoricus wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

Careful. There are three ranks between Liz and Karl Tagon, but that does not mean that there are three steps in the chain of command between them. For an extreme example of the difference in the real world, senior NCOs act as advisors to full generals, despite there being ten ranks between them.

Even if you restrict yourself to the officer corps, it's not uncommon to see a difference of two ranks between a commander and their subordinates. Four, like Liz and Karl, is a bit odd, but I'm sure it happens.

With all that said, I think it's likely that Liz does, in fact, report directly to Karl Tagon. Her little research project is of interest to the entire company, and so Karl Tagon may wish to oversee it himself.

The only Commanders and Lieutenant Commander I know of were Kevin and Elf, both of whom are Captains now. Unless there's someone else in that position, and empty rank oversees no one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:48 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Nemoricus wrote:

My favorite example of weird rank/reporting mismatches is a friend who was outranked by his subordinate for six months once. His company included an aviation platoon. The aviation platoon commander was a Captain (as was my friend at the time). Then the aviation platoon commander's promotion came through and it was six months later before they reassigned him. So for six months he was outranked by one of his direct subordinates.

Not being military, I have no idea how that would work if they didn't get along well.

American Civil War had all sorts of rank/position weirdness due to the way Brigade command was handled and reluctance to promote.

sotanaht wrote:
The only Commanders and Lieutenant Commander I know of were Kevin and Elf, both of whom are Captains now. Unless there's someone else in that position, and empty rank oversees no one.

I'm pretty sure Shodan was promoted from Lieutenant, and in any case, they currently have more Captains than ships so someone should be filling the chief of staff slot.

But I suspect that this is about getting Liz to just do it, and ask forgiveness later, rather than acting like she needs a babysitter. That ties in with the recent prologue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:54 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Doug Lampert wrote:
My favorite example of weird rank/reporting mismatches is a friend who was outranked by his subordinate for six months once. His company included an aviation platoon. The aviation platoon commander was a Captain (as was my friend at the time). Then the aviation platoon commander's promotion came through and it was six months later before they reassigned him. So for six months he was outranked by one of his direct subordinates.

Not being military, I have no idea how that would work if they didn't get along well.

I was doing some research on chain of command this morning, and found a rather mindbending example. Most larger units, like battalions, brigades, and divisions have what's called a headquarters company, and naturally, it has a commander. This is where many of the unit's staff officers are assigned, like ops and intelligence officers, and apparently many of them can outrank their nominal commander. Where this gets truly crazy is that the unit's commanding officer, who is not the same as the headquarters company commander, is also assigned to the headquarters company. Thus, a lieutenant colonel might be responsible for a major general in an administrative sense, while still answering to said general operationally.

From what I've read, effectively discharging the responsibilities of the headquarters company commander requires some finesse...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:11 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

turns out he is denying specific permissions because she already has blanket permissions. Se doesn't seem to like that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:43 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I'm just going to take this opportunity to point out that sotanaht and Reaver225 were both dead-on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:31 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Karl is going about this all wrong. She isn't an officer. She isnt military. She isn't even a real mercenary. She's a *cook* who they have forced into a command position with no desire to be in said command position but she's too polite and meek to say no.

She's only still there out of a sense of obligation and *friendship* and he's very, very quickly spending it all to make her into something she isn't and has no desire to be.

She's going to say 'screw this and screw all of you' if they keep this up.

And if she doesn't, then Howard has no idea how to write people who are easily bullied or guilted into doing things.

Not everybody is a secret badass who just needs to be forced into the element where they can shine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:06 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
Poor Liz.

Karl is going directly to the "break the new soldier down", specifically "break her down into an officer".

Liz has had her "ask for permission" rights removed, because as someone with low confidence she has a pathological need to not have the blame be on her and be allowed to do things by others.

You can see traces of this all the way back from where "her salad nearly killed someone" back on Mall 1 where she nearly had a breakdown.

Of course, a Tough officer will sometimes not have time to ask for permission. She may need to tell Petey "Shoot UNS command NOW they are about to order a decapitation strike on all other world powers in the me next 5 seconds" and she cannot allow the luxury of having to talk it over with Tagon Senior.

It's the right step for old school officer training that Tagon Senior would do (like he traumatised Kaff) and I hate that it'll be traumatic for her.

Hrm. I think it's less that she's incredibly low confidence (she is confident when in her element and when she knows the boundaries - it's why she knew that the chefs needed to get back to the kitchen way before the meeting started, so that they could prep and make the snacks in time) and more that she's been thrown into a whole new setting and no one's taken time to explain where the lines are, and the stakes have been scaled up massively from when she was running the kitchen. Back then, the worst that could happen if she screwed up was that the food would be late or would make someone sick. Now, she might get people killed or get the company in legal trouble, or even cause a war to kick off. So now she's second-guessing herself constantly and wants to make sure that she's not going to make a massive error that will ruin everything...which means running everything past the person she perceives as being the right one to run things past.

You're right that it doesn't seem like Tagon Senior is realizing how to go about making sure she's got the confidence she needs to be a good officer, though, and that his methods are likely to be incredibly traumatic for her. What I think he needs to do is get her a good NCO to backstop her and talk her through being an officer; this was a major shift in responsibilities, and a complete change for her - for all people might doubt Elf's capabilities as an officer, at least Elf was used to the chain of command she'd be working with and had a good idea of where the lines were with her increased responsibilities. Liz doesn't even have that - she got moved to an entirely different command as a result of her promotion, and I don't think the Toughs have anything resembling officer training that isn't "learn as you go, hope you don't make any major mistakes that can't be fixed in the process".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:22 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:
Poor Liz.

Hrm. I think it's less that she's incredibly low confidence (she is confident when in her element and when she knows the boundaries - it's why she knew that the chefs needed to get back to the kitchen way before the meeting started, so that they could prep and make the snacks in time) and more that she's been thrown into a whole new setting and no one's taken time to explain where the lines are, and the stakes have been scaled up massively from when she was running the kitchen. Back then, the worst that could happen if she screwed up was that the food would be late or would make someone sick. Now, she might get people killed or get the company in legal trouble, or even cause a war to kick off. So now she's second-guessing herself constantly and wants to make sure that she's not going to make a massive error that will ruin everything...which means running everything past the person she perceives as being the right one to run things past.

You're right that it doesn't seem like Tagon Senior is realizing how to go about making sure she's got the confidence she needs to be a good officer, though, and that his methods are likely to be incredibly traumatic for her. What I think he needs to do is get her a good NCO to backstop her and talk her through being an officer; this was a major shift in responsibilities, and a complete change for her - for all people might doubt Elf's capabilities as an officer, at least Elf was used to the chain of command she'd be working with and had a good idea of where the lines were with her increased responsibilities. Liz doesn't even have that - she got moved to an entirely different command as a result of her promotion, and I don't think the Toughs have anything resembling officer training that isn't "learn as you go, hope you don't make any major mistakes that can't be fixed in the process".

Did she even have a RANK before? She was essentially a civilian contractor, like Massey! She's never even been part of a real TEAM and now they've forced her to lead a group as an officer.

She doesn't need confidence, she doesn't WANT confidence, she HAD confidence *in what she was doing before*. They're *forcing* her to do something she *does not want to do* but she's too nice/scared to say no!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:48 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Kendrakirai wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:
Poor Liz.

Did she even have a RANK before? She was essentially a civilian contractor, like Massey! She's never even been part of a real TEAM and now they've forced her to lead a group as an officer.

She doesn't need confidence, she doesn't WANT confidence, she HAD confidence *in what she was doing before*. They're *forcing* her to do something she *does not want to do* but she's too nice/scared to say no!

Yes, she was a sergeant specialist. She may not have been treated like a soldier, but she did have a rank in the books.

And honestly that kind of sounds a lot like military organizations. People often get saddled with jobs they don't want to fulfill the needs of the company. They either do the job, fail, or get out somehow. And in this case she has about as much of an option to get out as the rest of the Tough's do. Which is to say she probably could quit, and then she'd be left with whatever her share of their massive debt is. It's probably only a tiny fraction, but still likely enough to put her in debt for hundreds or thousands of years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:24 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

Yes, she was a sergeant specialist. She may not have been treated like a soldier, but she did have a rank in the books.

And honestly that kind of sounds a lot like military organizations. People often get saddled with jobs they don't want to fulfill the needs of the company. They either do the job, fail, or get out somehow. And in this case she has about as much of an option to get out as the rest of the Tough's do. Which is to say she probably could quit, and then she'd be left with whatever her share of their massive debt is. It's probably only a tiny fraction, but still likely enough to put her in debt for hundreds or thousands of years.

Plus, she was part of a team. The fact that her team worked in the kitchens, not anything that would require them to need armor or weaponry beyond normal kitchen tools, doesn't mean that they weren't a team. In fact, she ran her team! The only reason she didn't get treated like a soldier was because her former team lead was the one who got her put on the books properly as an enlisted member of the company and he was generally allowed to run the kitchens as his private fief without interference from command as long as the food showed up on time.

The insistence that she's being forced into doing something she doesn't want to do but that she's "too nice/scared to say no" to is really starting to bother me, though, since it feels like it's got a lot more to do with Liz being perceived as a "nice girl" (to contrast with Elf and Dr Bunnigus and several others) than it does with anything else going on in this situation. She's overwhelmed, certainly - she got tossed a massive responsibility that she wasn't expecting or looking for, and no training to go with it - but being overwhelmed and afraid of screwing up isn't the same as not wanting to do the job at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:51 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

Plus, she was part of a team. The fact that her team worked in the kitchens, not anything that would require them to need armor or weaponry beyond normal kitchen tools, doesn't mean that they weren't a team. In fact, she ran her team! The only reason she didn't get treated like a soldier was because her former team lead was the one who got her put on the books properly as an enlisted member of the company and he was generally allowed to run the kitchens as his private fief without interference from command as long as the food showed up on time.

The insistence that she's being forced into doing something she doesn't want to do but that she's "too nice/scared to say no" to is really starting to bother me, though, since it feels like it's got a lot more to do with Liz being perceived as a "nice girl" (to contrast with Elf and Dr Bunnigus and several others) than it does with anything else going on in this situation. She's overwhelmed, certainly - she got tossed a massive responsibility that she wasn't expecting or looking for, and no training to go with it - but being overwhelmed and afraid of screwing up isn't the same as not wanting to do the job at all.

Oh, it's not because she's a nice girl, it's because she's easily bullied-slash-guilted. I know because I'm *exactly the same way*. She's going along with it because she's more scared of letting them down than she is of being where she doesn't want to be.

She's given them all sorts of reasons short of just straight out saying no not because she's particularly nice, but because she doesn't have the guts to just flat out say 'no, eff this noise, I'm not doing it and you can't make me'.

And even that is quickly being eroded away by Karl treating her like a soldier when she *isn't*.

Liz is happy when she's cooking and *not interacting with the officers* because they scare her. Almost every interaction with them we've seen has her in various levels of terror, ESPECIALLY of Karl.

She's going to reach a breaking point and it's going to be when things matter most.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:01 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Reaver225 wrote:
Poor Liz.

Hrm. I think it's less that she's incredibly low confidence (she is confident when in her element and when she knows the boundaries
That's a good point. She also does good work when she's stressed out, I just recalled. Her speech to Kaff to "stop being lucky" when first exploring Ein-Oafa was when she was stressed out of her mind and low on sleep and was the perfect thing to say at the time.

Kendrakirai wrote:
If she leaves, the Toughs may have to call other people in who have to be vetted and everyone could die. Everyone being "practically an entire galaxy full of people". That's hard to run away from.

Although, it's still a valid option to hire others and bring them up to speed. Doesn't Petey have whole worlds full of suborned former genocidal assholes who are now willing to lay their lives on the line to save others and presumably some of them are smart? Bring back Xinchub no don't do that

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:49 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

"But...I LIKED being an armchair quarterback!!"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:57 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:
If she leaves, the Toughs may have to call other people in who have to be vetted and everyone could die. Everyone being "practically an entire galaxy full of people". That's hard to run away from.

Although, it's still a valid option to hire others and bring them up to speed. Doesn't Petey have whole worlds full of suborned former genocidal assholes who are now willing to lay their lives on the line to save others and presumably some of them are smart? Bring back Xinchub no don't do that

Which just points further that shes being guilted into something she does not want to do just because she knows some things!

I know *precisely* what it's like to be in her shoes, doing things I don't want to do because others want me to do them and no, it is NOT going to make her show any "hidden depths" it's just going to leave her a broken wreck like all of the Toughs OTHER acquaintances who aren't as bloodthirsty as they themselves are!

And if Howard really thinks it will, he's wrong. Not everybody is a badass just waiting to be put into the right situation against their will, and the people who rely on that trope are *bad writers* and, if they actually think many people work like that, quite possibly also *bad people* who should never be put in charge of anybody.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:08 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Kendrakirai wrote:
no, it is NOT going to make her show any "hidden depths" it's just going to leave her a broken wreck like all of the Toughs OTHER acquaintances who aren't as bloodthirsty as they themselves are!
Karl Tagon is not a nice person, and he is down to his very bones a soldier. Remember, he is not the author, and he's a very broken individual himself.

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/strip/4238/0/schlock20120118.jpg?v=1532319941097 He's simply emotionally shelling Liz to get the results he needs out of her, even - especially if he likes her.

However, guilting her is still going to be an effective way of keeping her in line while she gets the job done.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:52 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Kendrakirai, let's say you're right, that Liz really wants no part of this new position, but is reluctant to come right out and say so.

Well, so what? It's on Liz to pull up her big girl pants and say she doesn't want the job, and until she does (or gets fired), she's going to have to do her best and learn as she goes. She may crash and burn spectacularly, it's true. But she may also surprise everyone and learn to shine - just because you didn't in a similar situation doesn't mean she can't either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:15 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I just want to point out that Liz isn't being asked to do anything she wasn't doing before.

She has a history of opening her mouth around officers that wayy outrank her, and telling them off. Karl Tagon could punish her for it (which would make him a bad commander, cause those officers needed to be told off), or he could promote her to an appropriate rank, and make it official.

How he's going about it might be wrong, but what he's actually asking for is reasonable. Karl Tagon isn't asking her to do anything she hasn't already done; he's just asking her to do it more often, and do so in a more official capacity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

New comic is up, and I'm happier with how Karl has handled this. Looks like he led with the stick, and now he's showing her the carrot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:42 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Motortiki wrote:
New comic is up, and I'm happier with how Karl has handled this. Looks like he led with the stick, and now he's showing her the carrot.

She certainly seems happier with him clarifying that she's not allowed to handle weaponry and her first tasks wont have any immediate dangers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:44 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
Motortiki wrote:

She certainly seems happier with him clarifying that she's not allowed to handle weaponry and her first tasks wont have any immediate dangers.

Yup. Those are important details, and would make me a lot happier also. (Well, maybe not the weapons part, but with weapons comes danger.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:32 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Ahhh, yes, Karl just got hoisted on his own petard. What goes around comes around, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:26 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

So . . . is his last line in response to the timing, or the speaker?

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:44 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

FreeFlier wrote:
So . . . is his last line in response to the timing, or the speaker?

--FreeFlier

Reading order says that it's in response to the time. She hadn't said "your the keynote speaker" yet, which makes it worse, which makes it funny.