The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:09 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

So i'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the galactic timeline.

72 MYA - Yet un-named civilization (100k planets and planet-sized megastructures)
71.9 MYA - Smallish ship rolls through the Oort cloud, presumably running from something (
65 MYA - They abduct some dinosaurs via teraport.

54 MYA - Hrathi (54 k planets) find evidence of galactic civilization, all abandoned relatively quickly.

12 MYA - Oafan find evidence of the Hrathi, enough to learn about them in specific, and read some of their records

So this raises two questions. If we're assuming that extinction cycles come about every 15-20 MY, where is the civilization that arose approx 36 MYA?

Why do the Oafa find enough about the Hrathi to presumably interpret their records but not anything after them?

Where does the All-Star and their super-zealot opponents fit in?
Are we saying that the All-star was the 36 MYA civilization, and they went out and cleaned up everything other than the one they left as as a reminder? Message?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:16 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I don't think that ship that passed through the Oort cloud was small on any reasonable scale - it had sufficient gravitational influence to perturb multiple orbits; this implies at least a planet-sized mass.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:46 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I thought the All-Star was something like a billion years.

The guys who designed the 30 inch sniper rifle need to step up their game!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Daniel the Broc wrote:
So i'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the galactic timeline.

72 MYA - Yet un-named civilization (100k planets and planet-sized megastructures)
71.9 MYA - Smallish ship rolls through the Oort cloud, presumably running from something (
65 MYA - They abduct some dinosaurs via teraport.

54 MYA - Hrathi (54 k planets) find evidence of galactic civilization, all abandoned relatively quickly.

12 MYA - Oafan find evidence of the Hrathi, enough to learn about them in specific, and read some of their records

So this raises two questions. If we're assuming that extinction cycles come about every 15-20 MY, where is the civilization that arose approx 36 MYA?

Why do the Oafa find enough about the Hrathi to presumably interpret their records but not anything after them?

Where does the All-Star and their super-zealot opponents fit in?
Are we saying that the All-star was the 36 MYA civilization, and they went out and cleaned up everything other than the one they left as as a reminder? Message?

sigh....

We don't have nearly enough datapoints to say that galactic civilizations reliably occur every 15-20 Million Years.

72 Million Years Ago, one galactic civilization was apparently in the process of killing itself and/or otherwise dying. We don't know how they were dying. We don't know if their manner of death might have taken other, proto-civilizations out with them. We don't know if they left behind any sort of weaponized residue which might have endangered future galactic development.

We don't even know for SURE that the planet-sized starship we saw in the first prologue actually was created by, and a member of, the civilization in question. It might have been an entirely coincidental and unrelated planet-sized starship, which just happened to be passing through while the then-current doomed milky way galactic civilization was also building starships of similiar planetary dimensions.

54 Million Years ago, the Hrathi were conducting archeology, and getting worried about ominous patterns. But again, we don't know how the Hrathi died, how many proto-civilizations they took with them, what kind of minefields they might have left behind, or even which portion of the galaxy they were predominately concentrated in.

12 million years ago, the Oafans were conducting archeology. We don't how the Oafan-era civilization eventually died, either, although the Paa'nuri seem to have been the obvious suspects.

10 million years is apparently the estimated age of Osiri.

6 Million years ago, the F'sher Ganni were signing a peace treaty with the Paa'nuri, So that may have been ANOTHER civilization that arose after the Oafan's died, or it might even be a surviving fragment OF the Oafan -era civilizations.

For reference, the Zoojack-Andromeda WormGate is apparently somewhere between 8-16 million years old.
https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2003-09-14

The current Galactic Civilization that we all know and love is apparently roughly 100,000 - 200,000 years old, give or take. But the F'sher Ganni apparently SURVIVED, in some form, for the six million years before galactic civilization as we know it was later rebuilt.

So that gives the interval between "galactic" civilizations as being something like

72-54 = 18
54-12 = 42
12-10 = 2
10-6 = 4
6-0 = 6

So, rough guess, intervals of 18, 42, 2, 4, and 6 million years. unless some of those shorter intervals were actually spanned by the SAME civilization, which may easily have happened. No reason to assume that there's any sort of consistent pattern to that.

And. to the best of our knowledge, the All-Star was apparently mostly hiding during ALL of those civilizations, although the F'sher-Ganni seem to have successfully contacted them somehow, at some point, at least sufficiently to share details about the upcoming wormhole project.

In fact, between the All-star, the planet-sized starship-in-hiding, Osiri, Eina-Afa, Zoojack, and the F'sher-Ganni, it's starting to look like "Build a Megastructure and hide in deep interstellar space at slower-than-light-speeds" is a SURPISINGLY successful and feasible long-term survival strategy. There could be THOUSANDS of megastructures, each from a completely different civilization, all hiding in various locations throughout the Milky Way, Andromeda, and M33.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:02 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Didn't somebody in the know once outright state that galactic civilization ends every ten million or so years?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:38 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
Didn't somebody in the know once outright state that galactic civilization ends every ten million or so years?

I'm sure I've seen someone say that. That was a number I had specifically in my mind, which suggests that it came from -somewhere- So far though:

Yaeyoefui says every few million years, and Bosun Vaal repeats it without being corrected

I think the one i'm looking for is either a briefing of the UNS Joint chiefs of staff. Maybe something with the Archive that Petey... impounded?
The only thing I can find there so far is it's claiming it's watched for hundreds of rotations, but assuming A) it's telling the truth, and b) it's referring to a rotation of the galaxy (Approx 230 million years) then it's 2, 3 billion years old. And while possible, that seems...unlikely, which probably means it's referring to something else.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:51 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Daniel the Broc wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

I'm sure I've seen someone say that. That was a number I had specifically in my mind, which suggests that it came from -somewhere- So far though:

Yaeyoefui says every few million years, and Bosun Vaal repeats it without being corrected

I think the one i'm looking for is either a briefing of the UNS Joint chiefs of staff. Maybe something with the Archive that Petey... impounded?
The only thing I can find there so far is it's claiming it's watched for hundreds of rotations, but assuming A) it's telling the truth, and b) it's referring to a rotation of the galaxy (Approx 230 million years) then it's 2, 3 billion years old. And while possible, that seems...unlikely, which probably means it's referring to something else.

My pet theory is that it's seen something orbiting the galaxy, at speed, that every so often *clears the deck* so to speak, and that something is doing so because galactic civilization has reached the point where it's detectable, and it's *unbelieveably paranoid*.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:20 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

GameFreak4321 wrote:
I thought the All-Star was something like a billion years.

This is more likely, since the All-star has been around longer than life has been on Puthzhos home planet:
https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-06-18

Their existence must be measured in billions of years, the amount of data they have accrued also indicates a lot of time spent, given that uploading a whole galatic civlization would amount ot less than a percent of it's storage capacity and they are at 44% already.

The all-star is the most successful example of long term civilizational survival yet, by far.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:12 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

A solid indicator of age:
https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-07-24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:16 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Daniel the Broc wrote:
… the Archive that Petey... impounded?

Roughly four rotations every billion years, and the galaxy is about 14 billion years old. It hasn't rotated a hundred times since it formed, unless it used to spin a lot faster.

So the archive is possibly (a) crazy, (b) referring to some other rotation or (c) a survivor from some previous universe.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:52 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Barmaglot wrote:
I don't think that ship that passed through the Oort cloud was small on any reasonable scale - it had sufficient gravitational influence to perturb multiple orbits; this implies at least a planet-sized mass.

Agreed. It headed off into intergalactic space, and as it's making about 2.5% of light speed, is presumably still these.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:20 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

John Dallman wrote:
Barmaglot wrote:

Agreed. It headed off into intergalactic space, and as it's making about 2.5% of light speed, is presumably still these.

Not to mention it apparently was able to absorb the fledgling population of winged dinosaurs. My guess is a small moon or planet that has been hollowed out.