The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:02 am 
Offline
Concession Worker
Concession Worker
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:15 pm
Posts: 1464
Wow.
I bet Schlock wishes his plasgun could burn people that badly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 440
I wonder if Schlock will eat those words later on. Not that there's any reason to believe so now, it would just be funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:09 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 am
Posts: 196
The purple dude: All I can say is "God damn gatekeepers."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:15 am 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:28 pm
Posts: 85
Goddamn gatekeepers, indeed. Five bucks says that if this dude hadn't been gatekeeping Alleged Crackpot and his rubbings out of every event they both show up to, a lot of important data would've been published by now - especially since the gatekeeper's attitudes seem more informed by being prejudiced against humans than anything else.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:10 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:40 am
Posts: 543
Location: Eugene, OR
The usual place of "so crazy it can't possibly be true" being what it is in this setting, I figure about 90% of this guy's theories are entirely accurate ... and the other 10% really is pure crankery. Good luck figuring out which is which.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:54 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 476
StClair wrote:
The usual place of "so crazy it can't possibly be true" being what it is in this setting, I figure about 90% of this guy's theories are entirely accurate ... and the other 10% really is pure crankery. Good luck figuring out which is which.


all sorts of questions need to be asked at this point, starting with....

How many pages of etchings does he actually possess?

Can we confirm that this aunt and uncle actually existed ~200 years ago, and actually made a fortune selling something akin to hull-metal?

Can we explain what all those pages of etchings have actually been DOING for the last ~200 years? sitting in an attic somewhere?

Do any of the usual suspects recognize the writing system? Archie, The Oafans, Putzho, the F'sherl-Ganni?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:07 pm 
Offline
Concession Worker
Concession Worker
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1355
Krennson wrote:
StClair wrote:
The usual place of "so crazy it can't possibly be true" being what it is in this setting, I figure about 90% of this guy's theories are entirely accurate ... and the other 10% really is pure crankery. Good luck figuring out which is which.


all sorts of questions need to be asked at this point, starting with....

How many pages of etchings does he actually possess?

Can we confirm that this aunt and uncle actually existed ~200 years ago, and actually made a fortune selling something akin to hull-metal?

Can we explain what all those pages of etchings have actually been DOING for the last ~200 years? sitting in an attic somewhere?

Do any of the usual suspects recognize the writing system? Archie, The Oafans, Putzho, the F'sherl-Ganni?

Stay tuned to find out? But it would be interesting if something very important were in those crayon drawings.


Which they are, as they are clearly a cherekov's gun at this point at the worst.

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:49 pm 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2670
grahamf wrote:
Which they are, as they are clearly a cherekov's gun...

*twitch*

Chekhov's gun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:16 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 am
Posts: 196
I forgot about Archie, the Crazy Nihilist.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:07 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 476
grahamf wrote:
Krennson wrote:
StClair wrote:
The usual place of "so crazy it can't possibly be true" being what it is in this setting, I figure about 90% of this guy's theories are entirely accurate ... and the other 10% really is pure crankery. Good luck figuring out which is which.


all sorts of questions need to be asked at this point, starting with....

How many pages of etchings does he actually possess?

Can we confirm that this aunt and uncle actually existed ~200 years ago, and actually made a fortune selling something akin to hull-metal?

Can we explain what all those pages of etchings have actually been DOING for the last ~200 years? sitting in an attic somewhere?

Do any of the usual suspects recognize the writing system? Archie, The Oafans, Putzho, the F'sherl-Ganni?

Stay tuned to find out? But it would be interesting if something very important were in those crayon drawings.


Which they are, as they are clearly a cherekov's gun at this point at the worst.


Well, looks like most of those questions have now been answered or otherwise rendered irrelevant.

I'm rolling with laughter over here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 740
Location: Land of the webbed feet
Oh my.

. . .



evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:
Which they are, as they are clearly a cherekov's gun...
*twitch*

Chekhov's gun.

Does cherekov's gun glow an eerie blue?

/flrrd/

--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:28 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 am
Posts: 196
Oh look, higher mathematics from a long-lost civilization, more advanced than those in the 31st century. But it was crayon rubbings, and they were held by someone who isn't "important", so it went undiscovered for generations.

I'm repeating myself, but: "GOD. DAMNED. GATEKEEPERS."

Like driving prospective D&D and Warhammer 40k players away from the table permanently wasn't enough....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:13 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 516
Well, to be fair, nobody recognized them as *numbers*. Or something that can be used as stand-ins for numbers in higher mathematics.

Only the Oafans know anything about the Hrathi. It may have saved a few months if it had been known beforehand, but I can't see how it would have actually, you know, really mattered until NOW, when they were setting up for a good hard look at deep history.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:56 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 476
Kendrakirai wrote:
Well, to be fair, nobody recognized them as *numbers*. Or something that can be used as stand-ins for numbers in higher mathematics.

Only the Oafans know anything about the Hrathi. It may have saved a few months if it had been known beforehand, but I can't see how it would have actually, you know, really mattered until NOW, when they were setting up for a good hard look at deep history.


Well, if what's WRITTEN on that chunk of hull metal are instructions for contacting the worldship that flew through Sol system and has so far been featured in several flashbacks, that information could matter by quite a lot....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:15 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 476
0z79 wrote:
Oh look, higher mathematics from a long-lost civilization, more advanced than those in the 31st century. But it was crayon rubbings, and they were held by someone who isn't "important", so it went undiscovered for generations.

I'm repeating myself, but: "GOD. DAMNED. GATEKEEPERS."

Like driving prospective D&D and Warhammer 40k players away from the table permanently wasn't enough....


What makes you think they're more advanced than current Schlock Tech? All we can really say at this point is that it's written in an ancient version of logical mathematical symbology. Could be somebody's old recipe for baking orbital space-cookies, for all we know.

Personally, I'm guessing that it's probably just basic instructions for some variation of hypernet comms, plus an encryption key for talking to that ancient worldsphere.
or maybe a universal warning about the inevitability of galactic civilization demise.
Or it could be blueprints for a teraport cage, in case the worldsphere wants to return to Earth someday.

Mind you, I'm assuming that whatever was written on that chunk of hullmetal was put there deliberately, as some sort of orbital plaque or basic toolset for future civilizations.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:54 am 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2670
0z79 wrote:
Like driving prospective D&D and Warhammer 40k players away from the table permanently wasn't enough....

Those unremarked heroes saving those poor souls from the damnation of inferior games...




D&D is trash and 40K needs to die already. /convincemeI'mwrong.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:04 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:32 pm
Posts: 191
evileeyore wrote:
40K needs to die already. /convincemeI'mwrong.jpg


HERESY! In the name of the Emperor, BURN!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:25 pm 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:33 pm
Posts: 44
evileeyore wrote:
D&D is trash and 40K needs to die already. /convincemeI'mwrong.jpg


We'll settle this the old-fashioned way... lance vs lance in BattleTech, 200-ton limit, IS 3025 tech, first one to die loses.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:49 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 am
Posts: 196
Aratan wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
D&D is trash and 40K needs to die already. /convincemeI'mwrong.jpg


We'll settle this the old-fashioned way... lance vs lance in BattleTech, 200-ton limit, IS 3025 tech, first one to die loses.


I'll be in my Thor, crouching and powered down while waiting for targets of opportunity. FEAR my ER-PPC, ER-LLAS and woe unto any close enough for the autocannon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:33 am 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2670
Aratan wrote:
We'll settle this the old-fashioned way... lance vs lance in BattleTech, 200-ton limit, IS 3025 tech, first one to die loses.

Mmmmm... I could fly a pair of Mad Cat Mk IIs and a Locust.



0z79 wrote:
I'll be in my Thor, crouching and powered down...

Movement is life. Stillness is death.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group