The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:02 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Wow.
I bet Schlock wishes his plasgun could burn people that badly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I wonder if Schlock will eat those words later on. Not that there's any reason to believe so now, it would just be funny.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:09 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

The purple dude: All I can say is "God damn gatekeepers."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:15 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Goddamn gatekeepers, indeed. Five bucks says that if this dude hadn't been gatekeeping Alleged Crackpot and his rubbings out of every event they both show up to, a lot of important data would've been published by now - especially since the gatekeeper's attitudes seem more informed by being prejudiced against humans than anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:10 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

The usual place of "so crazy it can't possibly be true" being what it is in this setting, I figure about 90% of this guy's theories are entirely accurate ... and the other 10% really is pure crankery. Good luck figuring out which is which.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:54 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

StClair wrote:
The usual place of "so crazy it can't possibly be true" being what it is in this setting, I figure about 90% of this guy's theories are entirely accurate ... and the other 10% really is pure crankery. Good luck figuring out which is which.

all sorts of questions need to be asked at this point, starting with....

How many pages of etchings does he actually possess?

Can we confirm that this aunt and uncle actually existed ~200 years ago, and actually made a fortune selling something akin to hull-metal?

Can we explain what all those pages of etchings have actually been DOING for the last ~200 years? sitting in an attic somewhere?

Do any of the usual suspects recognize the writing system? Archie, The Oafans, Putzho, the F'sherl-Ganni?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:07 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Krennson wrote:
StClair wrote:

Can we confirm that this aunt and uncle actually existed ~200 years ago, and actually made a fortune selling something akin to hull-metal?

Can we explain what all those pages of etchings have actually been DOING for the last ~200 years? sitting in an attic somewhere?

Do any of the usual suspects recognize the writing system? Archie, The Oafans, Putzho, the F'sherl-Ganni?

Stay tuned to find out? But it would be interesting if something very important were in those crayon drawings.

Which they are, as they are clearly a cherekov's gun at this point at the worst.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:49 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

grahamf wrote:
Which they are, as they are clearly a cherekov's gun...

*twitch*

Chekhov's gun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:16 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I forgot about Archie, the Crazy Nihilist.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:07 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
Krennson wrote:
StClair wrote:

Stay tuned to find out? But it would be interesting if something very important were in those crayon drawings.

Which they are, as they are clearly a cherekov's gun at this point at the worst.

Well, looks like most of those questions have now been answered or otherwise rendered irrelevant.

I'm rolling with laughter over here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Oh my.

. . .

evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:
Which they are, as they are clearly a cherekov's gun...
*twitch*

Chekhov's gun.

Does cherekov's gun glow an eerie blue?

/flrrd/

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:28 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Oh look, higher mathematics from a long-lost civilization, more advanced than those in the 31st century. But it was crayon rubbings, and they were held by someone who isn't "important", so it went undiscovered for generations.

I'm repeating myself, but: "GOD. DAMNED. GATEKEEPERS."

Like driving prospective D&D and Warhammer 40k players away from the table permanently wasn't enough....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:13 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Well, to be fair, nobody recognized them as *numbers*. Or something that can be used as stand-ins for numbers in higher mathematics.

Only the Oafans know anything about the Hrathi. It may have saved a few months if it had been known beforehand, but I can't see how it would have actually, you know, really mattered until NOW, when they were setting up for a good hard look at deep history.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:56 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
Well, to be fair, nobody recognized them as *numbers*. Or something that can be used as stand-ins for numbers in higher mathematics.

Only the Oafans know anything about the Hrathi. It may have saved a few months if it had been known beforehand, but I can't see how it would have actually, you know, really mattered until NOW, when they were setting up for a good hard look at deep history.

Well, if what's WRITTEN on that chunk of hull metal are instructions for contacting the worldship that flew through Sol system and has so far been featured in several flashbacks, that information could matter by quite a lot....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:15 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

0z79 wrote:
Oh look, higher mathematics from a long-lost civilization, more advanced than those in the 31st century. But it was crayon rubbings, and they were held by someone who isn't "important", so it went undiscovered for generations.

I'm repeating myself, but: "GOD. DAMNED. GATEKEEPERS."

Like driving prospective D&D and Warhammer 40k players away from the table permanently wasn't enough....

What makes you think they're more advanced than current Schlock Tech? All we can really say at this point is that it's written in an ancient version of logical mathematical symbology. Could be somebody's old recipe for baking orbital space-cookies, for all we know.

Personally, I'm guessing that it's probably just basic instructions for some variation of hypernet comms, plus an encryption key for talking to that ancient worldsphere.
or maybe a universal warning about the inevitability of galactic civilization demise.
Or it could be blueprints for a teraport cage, in case the worldsphere wants to return to Earth someday.

Mind you, I'm assuming that whatever was written on that chunk of hullmetal was put there deliberately, as some sort of orbital plaque or basic toolset for future civilizations.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:54 am 
Carnie
Carnie

0z79 wrote:

Those unremarked heroes saving those poor souls from the damnation of inferior games...

D&D is trash and 40K needs to die already. /convincemeI'mwrong.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:04 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
40K needs to die already. /convincemeI'mwrong.jpg

HERESY! In the name of the Emperor, BURN!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:25 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:

We'll settle this the old-fashioned way... lance vs lance in BattleTech, 200-ton limit, IS 3025 tech, first one to die loses.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:49 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Aratan wrote:
evileeyore wrote:

We'll settle this the old-fashioned way... lance vs lance in BattleTech, 200-ton limit, IS 3025 tech, first one to die loses.

I'll be in my Thor, crouching and powered down while waiting for targets of opportunity. FEAR my ER-PPC, ER-LLAS and woe unto any close enough for the autocannon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:33 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Aratan wrote:

Mmmmm... I could fly a pair of Mad Cat Mk IIs and a Locust.

0z79 wrote:
I'll be in my Thor, crouching and powered down...

Movement is life. Stillness is death.