The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:04 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:40 am
Posts: 543
Location: Eugene, OR
In fairness, it was pure luck that the second group found an instruction manual, and the first did not.
Compare the amount of time required to brute-force a safe combination, keypad code, or encryption key, vs. finding it written down on a napkin.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:08 am 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
A large element of luck, yes. Liz also used an effective method of exploiting the fact that the galaxy currently has a lot of civilisations, with varied viewpoints and interests.

_________________
Weapon: Meal, Ready to Explode.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:16 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 641
Read: it's easier to gather information if you're not hidden away in a can of sky.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:17 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 476
StClair wrote:
In fairness, it was pure luck that the second group found an instruction manual, and the first did not.
Compare the amount of time required to brute-force a safe combination, keypad code, or encryption key, vs. finding it written down on a napkin.


Of course, even WITH the crayon-etchings, and Oafan-provided translation software..

The etchings had still been fragmented in the explosion, and data would have been destroyed or split apart.

The etchings were repair instructions to an artifact that didn't exist any more, which wasn't made by the hrathi, and for which no blueprints were likely available.

Hrathi system of measurements, base units, blueprints, and descriptions of subatomic phenoma was presumably wildly different from the Oafans, which was wildly different from Current Galactic Standard.

And even if those could be translated smoothly, the Hrathi probably tried to write these etchings using a system that anyone could hypothetically eventually understand, no matter WHAT their measurement systems, so you'd have to reconstruct THAT from scratch too, instead of just using the previously known Hrathi system in the first place.

Then there are questions about what kind of communication system the Hrathi even used, what the propagation medium was, how it was modulated, how it was encoded....

And even if EVERYTHING WORKED, that SHOULD have told them how to communicate with the WORLDSHIP, who are NOT the Hrathi. If they ALSO figured out how to communicate with the HRATHI, that brings up all sorts of possibilities...

Simplest is that they don't know the difference yet, because they haven't actually called.
Or they did call, and the worldship offered to relay their call to the Hrathi.
Or the person who wrote the etchings included a Hrathi help line as well.
Or the person who wrote the etchings DIDN'T specify how to contact the Hrathi, but they figured it out ANYWAY.


Depending on exactly how things went.... 45 minutes may still be extremely impressive. Even with AI assistance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:18 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 440
Reaver225 wrote:
Read: it's easier to gather information if you're not hidden away in a can of sky.

If you think about it, it took all of galactic civilization about 54 million years to find that information. The Toughs only required 48 minutes to find what had already been found, which is actually kind of bad as far as record-keeping goes.

The Oafans sat in their can thinking about it for 14621 years and probably decided that it was unlikely to the point of being impossible. They SHOULD have been right, except for that one smartass who deliberately decided to go against his whole species intent and leave some breadcrumbs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:32 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 516
That, Krenneson, is why you start with basic systems meant to form the foundation for communication. You use universal constants, like the base atomic elements and their numbers of electrons and atomic weights, then you move on to proper nouns like space, galaxy, star, planet, moon. Things any spacefaring or at least technologically advanced civilization would know.

Math is math, you just have know what the numbers look like. And anybody who wants to talk to somebody else is going to try to make it easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:05 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 476
Kendrakirai wrote:
That, Krenneson, is why you start with basic systems meant to form the foundation for communication. You use universal constants, like the base atomic elements and their numbers of electrons and atomic weights, then you move on to proper nouns like space, galaxy, star, planet, moon. Things any spacefaring or at least technologically advanced civilization would know.

Math is math, you just have know what the numbers look like. And anybody who wants to talk to somebody else is going to try to make it easy.


Well sure, but could YOU decipher the Pioneer Plaque in only 45 minutes?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:17 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 516
Krennson wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:
That, Krenneson, is why you start with basic systems meant to form the foundation for communication. You use universal constants, like the base atomic elements and their numbers of electrons and atomic weights, then you move on to proper nouns like space, galaxy, star, planet, moon. Things any spacefaring or at least technologically advanced civilization would know.

Math is math, you just have know what the numbers look like. And anybody who wants to talk to somebody else is going to try to make it easy.


Well sure, but could YOU decipher the Pioneer Plaque in only 45 minutes?



It's designed to be easily understood, and while it may take ME longer than 45 minutes, the expectation one has would be that one would have much longer than that to decipher it. And not be kept from showing it to others because its crayon scribblings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 476
Kendrakirai wrote:
Krennson wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:
That, Krenneson, is why you start with basic systems meant to form the foundation for communication. You use universal constants, like the base atomic elements and their numbers of electrons and atomic weights, then you move on to proper nouns like space, galaxy, star, planet, moon. Things any spacefaring or at least technologically advanced civilization would know.

Math is math, you just have know what the numbers look like. And anybody who wants to talk to somebody else is going to try to make it easy.


Well sure, but could YOU decipher the Pioneer Plaque in only 45 minutes?



It's designed to be easily understood, and while it may take ME longer than 45 minutes, the expectation one has would be that one would have much longer than that to decipher it. And not be kept from showing it to others because its crayon scribblings.


Right, but the point of this PARTICULAR strip was that once the Convention Attendees SAW the etchings, and knew what they were, they managed to get hypernode contact information out of them in just 48 minutes.

The Oafan seems to be implying that even WITH a decent translation dictionary, it would have taken him, and the other surviving Oafans, significantly LONGER than 48 minutes to perform the same task, with the same available information.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:08 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 440
Krennson wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:
Krennson wrote:
Well sure, but could YOU decipher the Pioneer Plaque in only 45 minutes?



It's designed to be easily understood, and while it may take ME longer than 45 minutes, the expectation one has would be that one would have much longer than that to decipher it. And not be kept from showing it to others because its crayon scribblings.


Right, but the point of this PARTICULAR strip was that once the Convention Attendees SAW the etchings, and knew what they were, they managed to get hypernode contact information out of them in just 48 minutes.

The Oafan seems to be implying that even WITH a decent translation dictionary, it would have taken him, and the other surviving Oafans, significantly LONGER than 48 minutes to perform the same task, with the same available information.

No I don't think that's it. 48 Minutes is likely based on some marker of Lieutenant Lefevre's actions. Note the interaction here: https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2019-01-25 which states a 45 minute timeframe, only minutes before the etchings were "discovered". The translation and analysis was likely done in AI time (as was the conversation in question), making it near-instantaneous.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:48 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 516
It took the Oafans 14,621 years to find the answer to 'could we call the Hrathi.'

It took 48 minutes from Flinders putting out the call for a massive deep history conference to find the answer.

(Both of which are 'yes, but the long distance charges are a bitch')


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:24 pm 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:10 pm
Posts: 63
Looks like we're about to call some dinosaurs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:28 pm 
Offline
Concession Worker
Concession Worker
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1355
...well it seems they want to visit. I can't imagine that going over that well.

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:37 am 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2670
It'll be fine. Everything's fine. Ignore this intergalactic war we're on. Just load up the kids and go for a teraport trip...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:44 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 641
"let's visit an ancient civilisation who got out of dodge and are probably jumpy as fuck and probably have access to hypernodes and may have left long guns lying around the place in the galaxy we are still in"

what could possibly go wrong


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:56 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 516
Reaver225 wrote:
"let's visit an ancient civilisation who got out of dodge and are probably jumpy as fuck and probably have access to hypernodes and may have left long guns lying around the place in the galaxy we are still in"

what could possibly go wrong


I don't think they care what goes wrong.

I think they want to follow them out and leave the galaxy to burn again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:59 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 641
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't need to call for that. They'd just need a powerful enough teraport or slingshot.

Just convert like two stellar masses to energy for the speed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:43 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:03 am
Posts: 107
Location: SoCal
I wonder if a civilization advanced enough to create a worldship and leave the galaxy would be happy with only itself?
Would they monitor hypernode traffic from everywhere for information and entertainment?
Or even sneak out for stealthy visits via teraport?

Or would they be like the all-star, with no outside contact permitted?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:26 am 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
jmaechtlen wrote:
Or would they be like the all-star, with no outside contact permitted?

I'm pretty sure that would be the plan, but over millions of years, it's been disobeyed.

_________________
Weapon: Meal, Ready to Explode.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:29 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 516
Reaver225 wrote:
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't need to call for that. They'd just need a powerful enough teraport or slingshot.

Just convert like two stellar masses to energy for the speed.


But that's very easily tracked, and possible to *stop*. A Teraport out to the intergalactic void is essentially impossible to follow unless you have something akin to Petey's core generator or something else that's intensely energetic. And why go alone when you can go on a road trip with friends? Probably ges lonely with nobody to talk to for tens of millions of years


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group