Discord 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Reddit 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
Facebook 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Other 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 18
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:34 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Discourse (discussion.tekeli.li), Discord, Reddit, Facebook, Myspace, etc... if you mark Other, please elaborate in a post.

Poll votes may be changed after entry, please refrain willy-nilly changes. This post will be updated to reflect "Other" posts.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:25 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

It's old fashioned forums or bust for me. I have a particular grudge against Discord, Reddit and Facebook (and Twitter).

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:37 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Idea: How aboutmake_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, ' ', 'http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php', '', ' class="postlink"')

It's your standard old-fashioned forum.
They currently have subforums for 4 comics.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:58 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Absolutely not Facebook (or Facebook owned websites, or sites with only Facebook for login).

Also I don't really see discord as a replacement for a forum.

The guys who designed the 30 inch sniper rifle need to step up their game!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:48 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

So i just found out about this place:
make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, '
', 'http://free-forums.org//home.php', '', ' class="postlink"')

You can make any sub-forum you want there.

I do not know the catch, I'm expecting ads.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:00 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

keybounce: "Idea: How about clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php"

Those are some insanely strict rules. I'd never survive.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:37 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

NOT Fakebook or Twit-ter . . . I do not and will not.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

The thing is, there's no reason for it to ONLY be one of the,. I've been thinking the comic needs a discord for a while now. We can use that for actual chatting and things and discourse for more in depth stuff. They're for different things, after all.

Also, double the no on Facebook and twitter, and Reddit is terrible because of the whole 'hot' thing, and keeping you from seeing stuff if you aren't logged in. Hate Reddit.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:18 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Felt like mentioning, as much as I hate Reddit and will NEVER be a part of any community you set up there, it does seem like the most logical of the available options.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:25 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

I'm not a fan of Reddit, but it's better than Facebook. I'd prefer somewhere forum-like, though.

evileeyore: "Those are some insanely strict rules. I'd never survive."

Really? The rules can be summed up as "don't be a jerk on purpose and don't try to make people miserable". They don't feel insanely strict to me, nor like they'd be hard to abide by. (But then, I'm a member over there already so I can comment on DMFA.) I've always assumed that similar rules are in place here, frankly.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:39 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

If it's not a traditional forum where i can find the new topics and keep track of threads I'm interested in it'd be a pain to keep up on.

And not Facebook. I deleted my account and you should too.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:27 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix: "Really? The rules can be summed up as "don't be a jerk on purpose and don't try to make people miserable"."

Maybe, but when I see:
Clockworks Rules: "Do not be annoying or an idiot. The moderation staff reserves the right to define what being an "idiot" is at their leisure."

I'll repeat: "The moderation staff reserves the right to define what being an "idiot" is at their leisure."

I begin to question whether its a place I want to be. The moment I cross a mod (in a religious/social/political discussion) and they can just decide "Nope, he's an asshole and has to go"...

That's how things went on other forums I've been on that implemented that specific wording.

"They don't feel insanely strict to me, nor like they'd be hard to abide by."

This next one would //brutally murder// long term threads like our "what's your weapon?" thread:

Clockworks Rules: "Section B: No Thread Necromancy. If a topic is dead (more than a month since the last post), do not post in it again. If the topic has become relevant anew, make a new thread, link to the old thread. Reviving old topics is spamming"

Sure there are exceptions... but I prefer to not have to worry about exceptions. I prefer gentle chidding if thread necroing is against the local traditions... but then I also prefer just being able to revive an old thread and breathe new life into it if I see a need. I've never understood the hate to thread revivals. Keep the ideas in one easy to find place, don't force them to spread all higgly-piggly across the landscape.

Indeed... I don't think I'm an active member on any forum that has strict rules against thread reviving anymore (/literally/ the final straw as to why I dumped OotS off my forum list).

And I just checked, and even ENWorld, that bastion of asshole tight rules doesn't give a shit about thread necroing. If it did, that'd be my last straw there as well (there are reasons I seldom post at ENW and they have more to do with "I hate D&D" than anything else).

Speaking of not posting frequently...

Clockworks Rules: "Rule XIV
Old accounts, those that have fallen into disuse, will be deleted after an appropriate amount of time. Make sure, if you want to stay a member of this site, that you login regularly (at least once every three months) to ensure that your account does not get deleted."

I've gone years without posting somewhere because I've had no real reason to, only to return in a blaze of posting and then fall idle again. The Sluggy Freelance forums has seen maybe four whole posts out of me in the last twenty years... and I'm still a poster in good standing there (admittedly Sluggy did put my account under probation after the first post followed by several years absence, but they didn't delete it!).

So, no, anywhere that I have to maintain a 'posting schedule' or get deleted? Not my place.

Furthermore:
Clockworks Rules: "Rules for the Comic Sections:
These rules go not only for any comics stored in the Half Moon Theater (the main repository for all new comic sections added to CMF), but also for the Lost Lake Inn (DMFA Discussion) and the Lusty Siren Tavern (CVRPG Discussion).

Firstly, many of the members coming to read about the various comic stored here-in are not adults. As such, by common consensus, the comic sections are rated PG-13. Failure to follow this rating in your posting will result in punishment."

Yeah. My salty tongue wouldn't last.

And this one shits right up my backside for obvious reasons:

Clockworks Rules: "Titling Threads
When posting a new thread, your title MUST conform to this layout:

Date [Comic Abbrv. Comic Number] - Optional Interesting or Funny Title."

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:32 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Clockwork Forums are an OK place but it's not really the right place for galaxy saving mercenary comic. There would be serious culture issues.

Reddit doesn't have a culture, from what I have seen.

But Discord is 100% not the place for webcomic forum. talk. Out of the options, Reddit is probably the least painful to transition to.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:18 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

There is another choice. Circvs Maximvs, a forum, has opened it's doors... err... rather the owner said "Sure, they can come in here" and then went to a con and is incommunicado and the registration was closed months ago temporarily to stem a flood of spammers and no one unlocked the doors again...

Hopefully in a few days Morrus will be back, the doors will be open, etc, etc...

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:40 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Considering there has been considerable cross-pollination between Schlock Mercenary and Baen Books, both due to John Ringo's fan fic series ("Troy Rising"), and also the snippet archive at .make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, ' ', 'http://jiltanith.thefifthimperium.com/', '', ' class="postlink"') which rotates between this webcomic and about two others, but linked into this one first.

You might see if Baen would be willing to add a Schlock Mercenary channel to their boards.

Edit. The way I view Discord is IRL plus audio. It may be simplistic, but I don't see it as a way of holding these types of conversations. More a place to chat.
Also, I would follow to Discord or Reddit, but not Facebook, and I don't know what "Discourse" is, except for a word meaning conversation.

Edit 2. This thing seems intent on mangling that URL into something truly ugly. The BBCode clicky for URL no longer appears to function.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:56 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

...how long is this convention supposed to last?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:42 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

It's been a week. Figure a few days getting ready, 4 days at the con, then a few days getting resettled.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:26 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

TLDR: Sufficient Velocity is a stable and sane Science Fiction forum.

Edit: Outlook very good. Details need to be hashed out, though.

Bit late to the party, but my 5¢ as posted in the other thread is Sufficient Velocity make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, '(', 'https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com', '', ' class="postlink"')), my new home on the internet.

They're a general Science Fiction board, so I think we'd fit in. I mean, I did :P

They're independent, actively developed (XenForo, and IIRC they make a decent buck out of selling plugins to other XenForo forums), and I am confident that they'd even take the unusual step of importing all of these threads to preserve history, given cooperation from the Nightstar admins. I do not want to see another site burn, forgotten. Nobody does.

I hope to hear a preliminary answer from SV administration soon on the extent of what can be done.

---

Alright, specific concerns, addressed!

Old-fashioned Forum:
It's a forum. It's not Discourse. (I also dislike Discourse and Reddit.)

You'd find the interface familiar, if more modern than whatever version of PHPBB this is. :P

Necroposting/Multi-posting:
There's no rule against either, as long as the latter isn't spam.

In the case of the latter, it's actually relatively common, as the user tagging system doesn't work properly unless it's a new post, so you see double-posts to quote another person you missed, etc.

Moderation:
Sufficient Velocity has an appeal system, and the moderators are pretty good about keeping bias out of mod decisions, especially in News and Politics.

PG-13:
There are no rules against swearing. As long as it's not excessive, you're fine. F-bombs are not nukes, but don't drop them everywhere.

Culture:
Science fiction fans, meet science fiction fans. The site's friendly, just don't be a jerk to anybody or any group. I don't think this'll be an issue. Furthermore, I personally know at least one site Operator who likes Schlock Mercenary.

The most significant change would be a megathread for daily reactions, instead of an entire subforum and a thread per day. However, there's sufficient thread organization tools. Threadmarks are an effective replacement, in my honest opinion.

The armory would end up in the Chat Lounge, a member-only forum for... Chat. Forum games, image threads, and the like generally go there.

I'd also be willing to personally assist anybody here with the transition in case of any issues. Again, I don't think any will occur.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:08 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

quote="evileeyore": It's been a week. Figure a few days getting ready, 4 days at the con, then a few days getting resettled. /quote

I figured out what happened with the board owner... immediately after getting back from the con he went on vacay to another city for a few days. Sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:58 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

> I figured out what happened with the board owner... immediately after getting back from the con he went on vacay to another city for a few days. Sigh.

In the meantime, I opened up a new thread on Sufficient Velocity to celebrate the new book. We can migrate over there once people make accounts. Incidentally, the usernames of everyone on this thread are not taken.

Yes, I'm shilling SV very hard. I'm optimistic about the possibility of a full content migration there, and I do think it's the best possible place for the archives.

What do all of you think about this?

Edit: SV Thread:make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, ' ', 'https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/schlock-mercenary.55646/', '', ' class="postlink"')

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:37 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

SV sounds good to me. I would not want to continue as a moderator on the new site.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:20 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Wherever we move, I'm going to miss out on the next tier.
I floated a question on Baen's Bar, but haven't heard from anyone official. Granted, I posted in Administrava, and not Toni's Table, but I figured better to go through what passes through channels.

Edit...or maybe not. I'm at 499 now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:03 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

> Wherever we move, I'm going to miss out on the next tier.

Dang. And I didn't even notice the tiers.

Anyway, SV thread's up, you can make an account whenever, and comment. In lieu of thread/day, I've shifted over to SV's natural Threadmark/Day, to keep up the tradition of hopefully-witty subjects.

If you can't tell from the current threadmarks, I'm a bit out of practice (and a bit swamped with work).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:05 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

"Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix" (or any variation thereof that's got the full three words) is a bit too long for there, so I've shortened it to 'PenCray-Phoenix' for the benefit of still being recognizable.

(Edited to fix a typo. Dash, not underscore.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:21 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

"Sean" was taken. I'm not surprised. "SeanRoach" was available.

Edit, I see a lot of new masks, and "Hello, my name was XXX on Nightstar Zoo" signatures in our future. In fact, I think I'll go do that now.
Also, I thought 500 posts would push me over the cap. Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:41 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I'm looking over the rules for SV, seems reasonable. I appreciate how 'necroposting' is not banned, but complaining about necroposting is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:03 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

> I'm looking over the rules for SV, seems reasonable. I appreciate how 'necroposting' is not banned, but complaining about necroposting is.

Yup.

Personally, I don't think I've done a proper necro: old habit dies hard, and all that. But the ability to post something in thread and not get it pointlessly closed for necro is great, especially as locking takes away quoting because of forum software quirks.

Double posting is also allowed: I do this a lot, because sometimes you want to reply to someone who posted right before you and notify them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:41 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I love the "no prohibition against necro posts" rule. If you are working with a comic forum, there will always be people reading old comics and posting comments.

I think Irregular Web Comics has the best solution: active mods that move necroposts into an "older comics" sub-forum.

The only real issue then is the problem of finding the right thread when you want to post.

EDIT: And, maybe, a way to say "show me threads in creation order" as a good approximation to say "show me threads in comic order".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:39 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

So, is Sufficient Velocity the conclusion? If so, please post a link to the place new readers should go, and I'll give it to Sandra for the schlockmercenary.com front page.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:53 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

John Dallman "So, is Sufficient Velocity the conclusion? If so, please post a link to the place new readers should go, and I'll give it to Sandra for the schlockmercenary.com front page."

Not sure I can live up to their rules, they are pretty damn strict. But if it's what y'all want, have at it. I'll give it a go, if I get kicked out, I get kicked out.

Though I give them props for posting the Staff Policies, those are usually either hidden or opaque.