The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:58 am 
Mile High Comics has posted two full comics on their website and one partial preview. Thought I'd share.

Daredevil: Father #1

Ultimate X-Men #46

Venom Vs. Carnage 11 page preview

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:15 am 
I kinda take offense at the notion that Daredevi's father would have hit him when he was younger. He just never seemed the type.

I mean, how do you justify making your son promise never to get into a fight or to try to solve things with violence if you're hitting him? :?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:32 pm 
Ghoti-Heads wrote:
Mile High Comics has posted two full comics on their website and one partial preview. Thought I'd share.

Daredevil: Father #1

Meh. :-?

Quote:

The Ultimate line doesn't do much for me. Ultimate Spidey's all right, I guess. It just seems like "more of the same", just with less backstory.

Quote:

Oh boy. Just what we needed. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:33 pm 
Rakka wrote:
I kinda take offense at the notion that Daredevi's father would have hit him when he was younger. He just never seemed the type.

I mean, how do you justify making your son promise never to get into a fight or to try to solve things with violence if you're hitting him? :?

I think Matt's father having anger issues as quite consistent. He very much wanted his son to be different from him. He wouldn't have emphasized the non-violence so much if he himself didn't have problems with it. (Ok, so maybe just being a boxer and a lowly mob enforcer could have accounted for it...)

A pattern of Matt doing some "daredevil", "rebellious" stuff, his dad getting angry, violent, and then ashamed and apologetic and delivering a speech which would be a mixture of "do as I say, not as I do", sheer self-loathing, and promises not to do it again would fit - except maybe for DD not being that messed up, for a masked guy in tights jumping from building to building and picking fights with superpowered criminals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:10 am 
Quote:
I think Matt's father having anger issues as quite consistent. He very much wanted his son to be different from him. He wouldn't have emphasized the non-violence so much if he himself didn't have problems with it. (Ok, so maybe just being a boxer and a lowly mob enforcer could have accounted for it...)

It reminds me of that Bill Engvall stand-up routine, "Here's Your Sign." In it, he talks about watching his son play out in the yard with another boy. He sees his son hit the other boy and goes out to punish his son saying, "Hey" -- (smack!) -- "we don't hit!" He then realizes what a completely stupid tactic that is to teach not to hit.

Quote:
The Ultimate line doesn't do much for me. Ultimate Spidey's all right, I guess. It just seems like "more of the same", just with less backstory.

Less backstory, less regretable storylines/villains, less continuity to worry about, and it's more accessable for new fans. Still, there are probably better ways of fixing those problems. The gangbanger look of Mr. Sinister may be a step in the direction of said regretable villains.

I am drooling to see what Joss Whedon does with X-Men.

Re: Venom Vs. Carnage wrote:
Oh boy. Just what we needed. :roll:

Yeah, it's another cash cow title that's not likely to be good. But isn't it pretty? ::Stares for bit:: Shiny.

Also, there are three more Marvel previews up: Ultimate FF4 #7, Mary Jane #1, and Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus: Year One.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:35 am 
Energizer Bunny

Spiderman/Dr. Octopus slash? wh?

:P

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:55 pm 
Ghoti-Heads wrote:
Quote:

Less backstory, less regretable storylines/villains, less continuity to worry about, and it's more accessable for new fans. Still, there are probably better ways of fixing those problems. The gangbanger look of Mr. Sinister may be a step in the direction of said regretable villains.

I am drooling to see what Joss Whedon does with X-Men.

Am I the only person on Earth who thinks that Joss Whedon is overrated? Sure, Buffy was fun, but remember that this is the guy who wrote "Alien: Resurrection".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:06 pm 
gwalla wrote:
Am I the only person on Earth who thinks that Joss Whedon is overrated? Sure, Buffy was fun, but remember that this is the guy who wrote "Alien: Resurrection".

Yes. And Firefly, which more than made up for it.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:30 pm 
Ghoti-Heads wrote:

Is Carnage's brain exposed? kinda looks like it.

And who's the babe in the really low-cut leather? Just some random girl, or should I know who that is?

Anywho, I used to read the Ultimate line on marvel.com, but they stopped publishing the entire magazine online about 3 years ago. Real bummer too. I was really getting into the new Spider Man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:33 am 
Rakka wrote:

A man sees his son hit another kid and walks over.

*THWACK*

"We don't hit."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:48 am 
Energizer Bunny

Darth: *THWACK* we read previous posts. :P

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:00 pm 
Venom vs. Carnage looks like it's just an excuse to pack as many tendrils in a page as possible.