The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:56 am 
TODAY'S RECIPE
Obsessive-Compulsive Ratatouille

Ingredients: Two, identical medium tomatoes, 3/16 lb mushrooms, 3/8 cup chopped onions, 12.3" sliced zucchini, 14 oz can tomato sauce.
Wash tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini. (Wash tomatoes again.) Chop onions into tiny, teeny bits.
That's not small enough. Chop each bit in half.
Sauté vegetables in two T oil, for 158 seconds. Add sauce, cook 4 minutes 17 seconds. Serve immediately.
(Wash tomatoes again.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:27 am 
Sounds like the way I cook. When I slice onions they come out pureed. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:43 pm 
You forgot to add exactly 257 grains of salt. 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:38 pm 
Not really. That step is OBVIOUSLY implied. Yeesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:44 am 
my father can't microwave something for an even amount of time, now;) It started off as an odd little habit, probably he said 'hey, you notice how you always put things in for an even amount of time?' to me one day, put it in for an odd number instead then just never stopped doing it - if he finds himself putting something in the microwave for a time rounded to the nearest 10 sec. he will change it, now. He says it doesn't feel right o_O

Yes. We're a very odd family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:38 pm 
That's nothing. My mom CANNOT MAKE JELLO. She measures everything out exactly according to the box, but it won't gell for her when she puts in the fridge. My grandmother used to make it all the time, and she even watched my mom try to make it. It still wouldn't gell!

So whenever my mom wants jello for some recipie, she takes all the stuff over to the neighbors and asks them to do it for her :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:40 pm 
I always want to use the fewest possible motions. So, 33 secs, 1:11, 2:22 and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:09 am 
I just hit the 'beverage' button. Or the 'dinner plate' or 'defrost', etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:49 am 
Energizer Bunny

My favorite button is "minute plus"... the only problem is that my microwave is all ultra and everything, so most stuff I'm not sure how it cooks I have to change the power level first.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:03 pm 
Man, I hate microwaves. You can never tell how powerful any given microwave is going to be, so there's no way of knowing how much time you need to set it for. For example, the microwaves in the two breakrooms at my old job at the paper: 3 minutes in the one on the north side would heat up a small tupperware container full of food; 3 minutes in the other melted the container.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:27 pm 
It took people in my dorm over two months to figure out how long to microwave their popcorn. Almost every week from September to November, some idiot would put the popcorn in and set the microwave for an absurdly long amount of time... and then we'd all trundle out to stand in the street while the firefighters removed the offending bag.

And it always seemed to happen at three in the morning. (Due to this, I now actually have a pair of Emergency Pants.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:35 pm 
TV Dinner in the microwave at work:

says 3 minutes, cook for 3.5. Stir. Says 1 to 3.5 minutes, cook for 3.5... meat still frozen....

Put in for 2 more minutes.

At home:

Put it in for 3 minutes, stir, 1 minute, it's overly hot and some of the veggies have exploded....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:10 am 
Not having any problems with our microwave, which is fortunate as it is our only means of heating food at the moment. We're waiting for a new gas oven to be delivered and connected.