The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:49 am 
Malevolent God of the Schlockiverse

It might not be a bad idea to have a Creative Writing forum where folks can post stories they write. Then again, it might be a HORRIBLE idea.

I doubt I'd post there, but others might.

--Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:04 am 
You are a little busy with other endeavors. :wink:

On that same note, it could be a fiction/art forum. I know I would use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:14 am 
I kinda like the idea--the one I post in now (in MegaTokyo's forums) is full of elitists that I can't stand, so I'd post in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:34 pm 
would it matter what kind of fanfics we post? I've taken up writing Ranma fics lately, but that doesn't exactly pertain to anything discussed on these boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:53 pm 
I think it wouldn't matter what kind of fiction or art it was, even original. It would just be a place to share it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:45 pm 
Energizer Bunny

I say we call it "Fish Stories" or something.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:01 pm 
Just a question from one of the fanficcers in the IW realm...

Currently, we post our stories on the IW forum. I'm unsure about not posting them there, because by and large many of the people on the forum don't venture to the other areas of the Zoo, but I would like to see a pure art/fiction forum thrive and if posting fanfiction there motivates others (not saying that I'm a motivator or inspire anything from anyone, but other people, like Mythos the IW fanfic guru, might)

So... I guess my question is, should fanfic/art stay just on their respective board, should it go to just this possible forum, both, or just on one and have a link pointing back to the other?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:01 pm 
I think two threads would be acceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:13 pm 
Energizer Bunny

I'm under the impression that htere is a "cross-post" feature that mods can use to appear to post a thread to two different fora. I think it exists, anyway. If not I'm gonna go beat somebody up to get that mod in.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:55 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

I think it's a good idea.

Someone creative needs to come up with a name and description. I heard "Fish Stories" earlier, that sounds good... Now we need a good description to go with it.

As far as rules in the forum, I think one of the biggest should be "CONSTRUCTIVE criticism only", meaning no replies to the effect of "That was awful." but rather "It needed some work here, here, and there".

Also, I think any slash that gets posted needs to be clearly labelled as such to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:08 am 
Ogredude wrote:
Someone creative needs to come up with a name and description. I heard "Fish Stories" earlier, that sounds good... Now we need a good description to go with it.

"Sample the fine literature of the school's library." maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:14 am 
Okay...But what belongs in the forum and what doesn't? Only fanfictions related to the webcomics that are related to Nightstar? Any fanfictions? Any fiction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:40 am 
I would like to see it as all creative writing, or possibly multiple forums to cover fanfics, poetry, and unrelated prose...but that's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:06 am 
I've started a thread over in that forum to estab;ish some ground rules. We can vote on what are the most important, and figure out what content will be allowed over there.

Also, who is modding the forum?? I offer my services if nobody better suited for the job wants it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:35 am 
I would recommend Mythos; as previously stated he's already the guru of the fanfics on IW and is asked to look over work that's not even IW related.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:58 am 
If Mythos wants the job, I'll bow out graciously. We still need to establish what kind of stuff can be posted though. I hope it isn't limited to webcomics myself, since I prefer to write anime fanfics, but it might be better accepted here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:22 am 
I hope it isn't limited to fiction, but includes all creative endeavors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:58 am 
Maveric wrote:
If Mythos wants the job, I'll bow out graciously. We still need to establish what kind of stuff can be posted though. I hope it isn't limited to webcomics myself, since I prefer to write anime fanfics, but it might be better accepted here.

Well, lately he's been doing webcomics, but he did start out doing anime fiction.

I dunno if he wants the job, but still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:50 am 
I have sent a PM to Mythos telling him that he was nominated for the position. I also asked if he would be willing to co-moderate. We should get a response sometime tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:32 pm 

I'm willing to put whoever you guys decide as moderator of that forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:46 pm 
Gerald wrote:
So... I guess my question is, should fanfic/art stay just on their respective board, should it go to just this possible forum, both, or just on one and have a link pointing back to the other?

Sorry I missed this earlier. I see no reason why those IW! fics should not be posted on that forum. The main fanbase like's to read them, and should be able to find them with ease. Since the link at the site leads directly to the forum rather than the main page, it would be easier to leave them on that forum. Same goes for the art.

That's not to say that IW! fics and art wouldn't be accepted in "Fish Stories." If someone were to post a story there rather than in the IW forum, there shouldn't be a problem. The only thing is that they might get fewer reviews since many people don't venture out of the IW boards to explore the rest of Nightstar. I certainly didn't until recently.

Another idea: Should the author of the story create a separate thread for commentary? It would make it easier to read the story, but at the same time, possibly clutter up the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:11 pm 

Well, there's always crossposting. Just copy the text and post it in Fish Stories as well as the IW forum.

As far as separate threads for story and commentary... I find that it's *REALLY* hard to keep the story and the commentary together, unless the poster creates both threads at the same time and puts a link in the story thread for the commentary thread, and vice versa.

Also, you'll always get somebody who doesn't know the rules posting to the story thread, which can be a pain to fix, so about the only way to successfully do this creates a lot of extra work for both the poster and the moderator. The poster has to post both threads and then go in and edit one of them to update the link, and the moderator has to be on hand to lock the story thread before it gets posted to... Not worth the hassle in my mind.

Just let the commentaries go onto the story thread. If it gets nasty for one particular story, the moderator can always split the thread later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:13 pm 
The SOP on the IW forum is just post on the same thread, and it usuall works fine.

If comments get out of hand usually someone (one of the readers or the author) will say something and things stop just from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:59 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

I wouldn't mind co-modding the forum. I already co-mod the forum for the webcomic I produce with Gerald, Crazie and Loki, HappyPure.

As far as what should go there...I am ambivalent to anything other than fanfiction and art / fanart. If original works are posted there, there is too much complicity should those works be stolen. I understand copyright law and this is an open field. So, that's my opinion on that.

Also, I VERY much think that a "Constructive Criticism Only" atmosphere be held. To keep this forum from becoming the trash that is Fanfic.net.

I used to write anime fanfics. My name is not unknown in those parts, though it was different than it is now. I write webcomic, and specifically IW, fanfics because I like to.

If I am to be a mod, there are certain protocol that we should go over in order that this doesn't degenerate into either a bitching contest or a desperate and insipid plea for attention. And we both know who we're talking about.

Um...yeah...that is all... :P

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]