The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:25 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

As most of you know by reading my posts, I think G.W. is an idiot who didn't deserve to hold the position he's had for the last four years, and certainly does not deserve four more.

In fact, I'm pretty certain that, given more time, he'll manage to screw something else up. He's already managed to blow our international relations out of the water, OBL is still out there, I hear he wants to go into Cuba and take out Castro next (no word on taking out Iran or N. Korea, though, even as their leaders wave nukes at us!), and he wants to make his tax cuts permanent: Reaganomics didn't work then, and it won't work now, meaning that he's inches away from blowing his "economic recovery" as well.

For Halloween, I therefore decided to go out as the thing that scares me most right now: Dubya.

Serendipity led me to having in my closet a pair of Magnum HiTec combat boots and a set of green, military issue coveralls that are a spitting image of a flight suit. Add a $20 Bush mask (notably, the mask was made in 1999 according to the date stamped on it. The "hair" was deep brown. When I first wore it for my friends, they went, "Who the hell is that supposed to be...can't be Bush, look at the hair! It took a can of silvery spray paint to bring my Bush mask up to date with all the "hard work" he's been doing), and you have G.W. as he appeared on his "Mission Accomplished" PR stunt on that aircraft carrier so long ago.

To make my true colors (mockery) known, I also carried a two-sided sign (on standard typing paper, not huge).
On one side, a mock Terror Alert System.
Red--OBL is still alive, and mocking me!
Orange--Lost another "Ally"
Yellow--Debates: Who needs facts when you have spin?
Green--Can't get fooled again.
Blue--Fooling 51% of the people until November 3rd

Of course, being Halloween and two days after the release of another OBL tape, the terror alert was set on "RED". (now, if only the real Bush gave a damn!) Blue? Blue hasn't happened, ever, now has it?

The other side was plainer, for the comprehension impaired:
Four more years? Now that's scary!

You may not have known, but I live in Hawaii. Hawaii is, all of a sudden, a swing state. Formerly staunchly Kerry, we now have about an even mix (I should know. My friggin office is FULL of Bush supporters.) Adding to the entertainment, late last night was when Cheney himself flew into town to address his suddenly available voting base--swiftly countered by several hundred protestors. All this took place not a mile from the Waikiki strip, which is Halloween central in Hawaii.
(between the convention, the protest, and the normal fricking madness that is Waikiki at 11 PM on October 31st, the police were quite busy...)

I made it into quite a few people's photo albums last night. On both sides of the line. (sadly, my camera decided to choose this night to finally plotz. No photos.)

What interested me was the reactions of people on both sides of the spectrum.

Bush supporters: Saw the mask. That's all. Might have grokked the flight suit, and connected it positively with the P.R. stunt. Certainly did NOT grok the "terror alert" joke.
Some Bush supporters stopped me to take a good long look at it, and walked away confused. Too much thinking for them, I'd wager. I wonder if my sign was in their photo, and if so, how they'll feel when they catch on?

Kerry supporters were an even bag. Some pulled the same reflexive response--"Bush mask! It's Bush! Go to hell, Bush!"
Others stopped me to get a good look at my sign, and once they caught all the Bushisms and mockeries in it, then I'd flip the sign for them to read my real opinion.

It was a great night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:08 am 
I gotta get some of those magic contacts that let me see who is supporting who. (Note: I am making the obvious assumption that you were handing out candy at your door, rather than trick-or-treating.)

Perhaps the folks you identified as Bush supporters simply had the tact to not be provoked into making a scene on a night where kids are supposed to be having fun. (Note: What you did is argueably performance art. Art is supposed to provoke a reaction, so saying that you were trying to proke a reaction is not a critiscism.)

Is there a response from a Bush supporter that you would have considered intelligent?

I'm glad you enjoyed the evening.

EDIT: Added notes and the question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:57 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

"where kids are supposed to be having fun"

Hehe. You said "kids".

For clarification, what I was doing was neither going door to door nor manning my own door, I was going to basically a giant block party.

Never been to Waikiki on Halloween, eh--it's like Mardi Gras with less beads and much less boobs. Making a scene? Heh, believe me, people on both sides felt quite free to make any sort of scene. That's actually what I was counting on, and got the most amusement from.

Until you brought it up, I never thought of it as performance art. Hah, I like it!

It wasn't a place for any sort of intelligent discourse at all. But I was observing time spent on coming to a conclusion and time to take in information before forming a reaction.

There were a few Bush supporters that read the sign and took in the costume in total. Very few. One that did promptly asked me, "Ah, you're against Bush! Well, come on now, do you know Kerry?"
My response, "No, but I know Bush, I've seen him in action for four years and I don't like it."
Her closing shot: "You DON'T know George Bush! You don't!"
And with that, she left, sure of her conclusion.

Ah, fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Always a good way to make a decision.

To be fair, there were a frightening amount of instantly judging and plentifully obscene Kerry supporters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:48 pm 
There are a lot of Halloween decorations still out around here. On the way back home from voting, I passed by a house with a gate. There were two plastic skeletons, one on each side of the gate, and above the gate was a sign saying "We're scared of Bush!".In the yard were a couple of plastic tombstones with orange construction paper stuck to them. Written on one was "BUSH", and on the other, "CHENEY".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:24 pm 
Thanks for the additional information.

And if scenes are the thing to do I'm all for going along with the custom. When in Rome^h^h^h^h Hawaii...

As someone who has no interest in holiday themed parties I sometimes forget they exist. (I make an exception for the office x-mas party because they have free food.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:06 am 
I use to live in Hawaii. I went to Punahou in Manoa valley. I lived in Pearl City. X_X

At least everyone is friendly.

For those of you who have never been to Hawaii, traffic is TERRIBLE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:50 am 
Janitor
Janitor

darthbaboon

What do you expect? I swear, we must have more car dealers per acre than anywhere else. It seems like any time something closes down, it turns into a used car lot. Gas station, restaurant, anything can become a used car lot. Hold on, let me grab the phone book...
on this island not even thirty miles in any direction, I've got six pages worth of car dealers, new or used, in the Yellow Pages alone...