The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Americans, go and vote
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:58 am 
Don't sit at home mouthing off at the unworthiness of all candidates and then complain when the wrong guy wins. Exercise your privilege before you lose it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:05 am 
I'm definitely going to vote.

I'm expecting everyone else to do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:25 am 
Lose our right to vote or our chance to vote?

Either way I'm voting this morning.

And although I'm not going to help the "record turnout" statistics (I'm a regular voter, so the only net change would be if I didn't show) I do expect to see a record turnout.

I'm gonna call the record turnout a win, because either of the major presidential candidates is a loser for the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:33 am 
A very great shame it would be if Americans didn't vote in large numbers in an election where the president has gotten us into a war under false pretenses---whether he understood how false they were or not---and then refused to take any political risks to pay for it or raise enough troops to fight it.

Retirees and poverty-level workers in Dade County, Florida are standing in line for four to six hours to get their votes in. I expect to get in and out of our polling place here in ten minutes when I hike down there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:56 am 
Been there, done that, no T-shirt. :(

Took about five minutes too. I almost feel cheated that there wasn't any sort of ordeal or anything. Kinda boring actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:05 am 
I'm about to go.

I figure it's a case where I'm gonna have to hold my nose and choose one.

Or I might just wash my hands and vote Libertarian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:20 am 
It took me about 40 minutes to get through the queue at our Commonwealth elections three weeks ago.

Is there a live election results website in the USA as there is for our elections here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:06 pm 
Ha!

Thank God for Touch-screen voting.

I was able to close my eyes and drop my finger down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:31 pm 
I did the punch card thing. Very efficient, if they're well printed. No chance of any simple cheating. The card is held in a tight sleeve, you've got a stylus with a steel point, you punch a hole in the card. If you punch the wrong one get another card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:09 pm 
Cobra Commander for President!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:10 pm 
Gerald wrote:
Ha!

Thank God for Touch-screen voting.

I was able to close my eyes and drop my finger down.

And, uhm, did you use your middle finger? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:41 pm 
I did go vote Libertarian. Just because I want to send a message to Bush (especially if Kerry wins by a margin less than the Badnarik vote) that I'm tired of his policies, even if I refuse to vote for Kerry.

Optical scan, at the precinct. Stood in line for 60 minutes, was the 21st person to put a vote in the machine. I don't think the election workers were very well trained. They had to call in to the main office twice while I was there to clarify things on provisional ballots and emergency registrations. Mostly administrivia (should they use the emergency registration slip on the spindle in the place of the signature slip?,) but it did slow down access to the only 4 polling booths they had on site. (while I was waiting on their call for the guy in front of me, 3 booths were empty.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:23 pm 
I voted for keeping bear hunting legal.

Oh... and Kerry.

No problems voting, though there were about 5 times as many observers and volunteers and such as there were 4 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:57 pm 
Elections are the worst funded part of American democracy. Poll workers are paid so little that they're basically volunteers, and they get almost no training beyond "Check the name on this sheet. Check the address on this sheet."

Still, things went pretty smoothly, if not exactly quickly, at my polling place. Most of the delay seemed to be the voters, though. Really, people, it's a good idea to mark down your votes on the sample ballot before going to the polls, especially if there are several races or propositions. It gives you time to think without slowing everyone else down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:06 pm 
Kerlyssa wrote:
I voted for keeping bear hunting legal.

I think colorado had a referrendum about that once. I was too young to vote on it back then though.

Quote:
Oh... and Kerry.

As long as you're happy with your choice and voted for who you believe is most able to do the job, I'm happy. :)

Quote:
No problems voting, though there were about 5 times as many observers and volunteers and such as there were 4 years ago.

That's odd to me though. there were less booths than normal this year, and less volunteers. I don't think there was a single observer either time though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:15 pm 
GrassyNoel wrote:
It took me about 40 minutes to get through the queue at our Commonwealth elections three weeks ago.

Is there a live election results website in the USA as there is for our elections here?

Once they start officially releasing exit polling results you can probably go to most of our major news sites and get live updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:21 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

GrassyNoel wrote:
Don't sit at home mouthing off at the unworthiness of all candidates and then complain when the wrong guy wins.

George Carlin wrote:
If you vote, you have no right to complain. I know people like to twist that around and say, "If you don't vote, you have no right to complain." But, if you elect incompetent politicians and they screw things up, then you're responsible for what they've done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote - who did not even leave the house on Election Day - am in no way responsible for what these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess you created.

or something like that :)

Anyway, here's Mark Fiore's take on it: http://www.markfiore.com/animation/days.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:44 pm 
BBlalock wrote:
Once they start officially releasing exit polling results you can probably go to most of our major news sites and get live updates.

Thanks. CNN has the goss here.So no official tally room then? That's puzzling given the way most votes are counted over there. Here it's all done by eye and hand, and we still get live results on the night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:55 pm 
Where is that, Noel?

The US covers many time zones and thousands of miles, and each of the 50 states has its own voting criteria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:11 pm 
Kerlyssa wrote:
Where is that, Noel?

The US covers many time zones and thousands of miles, and each of the 50 states has its own voting criteria.

Australia, according to the link in his first post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:03 pm 
What I forgot was, you guys don't have a taxpayer-funded, credible, unbiased, nonpartisan election night broadcast like we do here in Australia (thanks BBlalock) courtesy of the ABC and our Electoral Commission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:51 am 
I want to. My FTS teacher told me to, but I don't have any fake ID.

(He was only joking. I can't vote because I'm only 17.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:01 am 
Nagromo wrote:
I want to. My FTS teacher told me to, but I don't have any fake ID.

(He was only joking. I can't vote because I'm only 17.)

There's that, and the polls have sorta closed down by now.