The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:35 am 
Intern
Intern

I know what would be a big help to the USA. Get all those dumbass rich hollywood liberals who wasted all that money on organizations to spread their hatred of ONE MAN, and instead spend the same or more on projects like Habitat for Humanity and HELP THOUSANDS of men and women.

I'm talking to YOU, Gorge Soros and Michael Moore!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:12 am 
Vorpal Bunny Slipper
Vorpal Bunny Slipper

You sound... cranky.

Mit Beton gießt du es aus, das Fundament vom Knochenhaus.
Scharr, scharr, verscharr das Gebein, da ist noch Platz, da paßt noch wer rein.
Hier tobte sich der Teufel aus, unten im Keller im Knochenhaus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:47 am 
Fahrenheit 911 DVD's are probably usable as shingles for new low-cost housing.

Throw Farenhype 911 and Gigli onto the pile also.

It's too bad that shredded paper insulation is a fire hazard. There were plenty of nasty books from both sides as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:03 am 
jeremiahsmith wrote:
You sound... cranky.

The power of thirty years of right-wing propaganda.

The "Bush-hater" spin point first popped up in public in a Charles Krauthammer column (I believe in July of 2003.) I warned my wife at the time that we were going to see a lot of the term from then on. By fall it was all over the media.

Enormously useful as a propaganda tool.

Standard RNC policy for years is avoid any public discussion with Democrat/liberals/moderates that might make them appear to be legitimate opponents. Hence, any complaint by an opponent noted in a short piece by, say AP or Reuters, is referred to the White House press office for comment and is answered with a one sentence dismissal or ad hominem attack. This has been going on since the Reagan administration as is now a familiar part of the American political discourse.

By collectively labeling all opposing arguments as "Bush-hating," you skip all the complications and avoid wasting air time trying to dismiss or sneer at each opponent or criticism individually: there is no rational opposition, no alternate policy, no legitimate moral or political judgement that might raise doubts; there is only Bush-hating, the fanatical and border-line insane loathing of one man, whose glowing goodness and wisdom have rescued America and the world from the terrors of . . . whatever is bad out there.

For further reference, feel free to scan some transcripts of Limbaugh, Krauthammer, or Ann Coulter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:03 pm 
Hey Berken.

Are the Democrats and the Liberals totally innocent when it comes to these type of things?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:05 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Berken wrote:
Standard RNC policy for years is avoid any public discussion with Democrat/liberals/moderates that might make them appear to be legitimate opponents. Hence, any complaint by an opponent noted in a short piece by, say AP or Reuters, is referred to the White House press office for comment and is answered with a one sentence dismissal or ad hominem attack.

Ah. Reminds me of the debates.

Kerry: "And I'd just like to say to all our service members in Iraq, help is on the way!"

Bush: "Help is on the way? What kind of message does that send?"

Me: "It sends the message that help is on the way, nitwit...to the troops out dodging car bombs without benefit of flak jackets or armored humvees. Who you sent there in lesser numbers than your top generals advised. That's what kind of message it sends, from the man vying for your job."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:57 pm 
Gerald wrote:
Hey Berken.

Are the Democrats and the Liberals totally innocent when it comes to these types of things?

Somewhat innocent, somewhat incompetent. Traditional Republicans were no good at it, either, which is why they don't run the Republican Party anymore.

Newt Gingrich was the most famous student of Orwell and Soviet style propaganda in American politics. His famous memo on the subject can be found at http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article4443.htm, among other places. However, a lot of politicians have at least a limited understanding of the principles involved; its all a matter of whether they've got the stomach for it. Beyond a certain point, most of them simply can't morally justify it or compartmentalize it.

Lyndon Johnson was a populist moderate Democrat who wanted to be remembered for his successful struggles against racism and the successes of his war on poverty, rather than for his failure as a war president. He was a Texas politician who could get dirty when the occasion seemed to demand it. He remarked to an aid once that he would like to get his opponent accused of "having sexual relations with barnyard animals." The aide pointed out that this was not true, and Johnson replied; "I know that; I just want to see him denying it in public." His commercial labeling Barry Goldwater as a dangerous fanatic is famous in American politics.

John McCain, one of the most honest of American senators, was beating George Bush in the 2000 primaries when Karl Rove triggered a notorious smear campaign against him (details here: http://www.scdp.org/blog.php?blog_id=22, among other places. This smear campaign used some of the same right-wing activists and crackpots who later joined in the Swift-boat Veteran smear campaign against John Kerry.

McCain was accused of having fathered bastard children by black women, of routinely voting against veterans’ benefits, and his wife was labeled a drug addict and "weirdo." After he lost the primary, a friend trying to make peace between McCain and Bush tried to tell him that it was all "just politics." McCain answer: "No, it isn't." It wasn’t politics the way John McCain practiced it.

The “just politics” rationalization tells how gutter politics of this sort is morally “compartmentalized” by its practitioners. They might well be idealistic, honorable, and truthful in other aspects of their life, but they view political speech as a blood conflict, no a debate, and feel no obligation to deal honestly. Of course, the worst offenders are the true haters, political sociopaths like Carl Rove, Tom Delay, and Dick Cheney, who have never considered any opposing faction an “honorable opponent,” just enemies to be crushed and defeated by any means possible.

After all, Churchill didn’t tell the truth to or about Hitler; why should Tom Delay deal truthfully with anti-American, pocket-picking, Liberal scum like John Kerry or Henry Waxman?