The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WTO != Free Trade
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:54 pm 
http://www.howestreet.com/mainartcl.php?ArticleId=754

The more I hear about Ron Paul, the more I think more Libertarians should run as Republicans. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:13 am 
If it kills off the "Alternative" health care frauds it's well worth it.

Making money off of stupid people is one thing. Playing with thier lives when you're doing it is a whole new ball of earwax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:00 pm 
So, taking away vital nutrients and putting even more restrictions on things that could actually BE helpful is worth pushing a few crackpots to using other things that aren't as well regulated and could be even more actively harmful? Did I just wake up in Soviet Russia?

100mg is a completely useless dose of Vitamin C, barely enough to keep your body from falling apart due to scurvy.

I guess I'll just wait now for people on the street to start selling black market dietary supplements because they're now banned from the safer, over the counter means of buying them. Oops, that vitamin was tainted because you bought it black market. You're dead now. Making things illegal doesn't stop them, it just pushes them underground where they're impossible to control.

The point is, by joining the WTO we're basically letting some other country change our laws. If they suddenly said "sale of firearms is prohibited under the WTO to someone without a UN peacekeeper license" would you go along with that as well because it might stop a few crackpots who shoot people for no reason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:27 pm 
[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4045979.stm]
WTO Sanctions approved, [/url]

Is it me, or does the following just not scan at all.

BBC wrote:
The sanctions are in retaliation for the Byrd Amendment, a rule that allows US firms to blow the whistle on "unfair" trade practices.
These countries, along with the EU and Japan, argue that the Byrd Amendment gives US companies an incentive to complain and is therefore against WTO anti-dumping agreements.

The US believes that companies that export products at a price below what they normally charge in their home market give unfair competition to domestic producers.

Uh, so a rule that helps US companies report dumping is against WTO's anti-dumping agreements? Does this seem counterproductive to anyone else? Are you sure they're not Pro-dumping agreements? An incentive to "complain" or report such problems is a bad thing?

As far as that third paragraph goes, Under such a concept of dumping the US would almost undoubtably be dumping more than any other country, just because of how inflated our internal prices are.

I think I need to find more detailed information on exactly where the Byrd amendment and the Anti-dumping agreements disagree...

Update: Aha, Found what is probably the reason for this.
ABC News
ABC News wrote:
The decision was expected. The trading dispute centers on a 2000 law, named for Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., which lets the U.S. government fine foreign companies that it judges to be selling goods here at below-market prices, with the proceeds going to U.S. companies.

The proceeds going to US companies is probably the problem. That's what Pronto was complaining about with canadian softwood exports. In that case, BBC's and several other news sites were being horribly vague when they raised the issue. I've come to expect that from our modern news sources though. They really need to start understanding the news more so they can report it accurately.