The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electoral maps
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:29 am 
Voting maps with areas adjusted for population or number of electors. Geographically accurate maps actually give a distorted impression of how much support each candidate got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:26 am 
Here is a map that shows the same effect without all the mathematically accurate geographical distortion. Population is expressed as the height of each county.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:46 am 
BBlalock wrote:
Here is a map that shows the same effect without all the mathematically accurate geographical distortion. Population is expressed as the height of each county.

I'm impressed at the commentary on that site, though. Despite the fact that Bush has, at this point, earned a technical knockout, they're absolutely certain that Democratic voter fraud occurred in Chicago and want a rollout of the Illinois GOP there.

I can only wonder if these folks are trolling for backlash or are simply all small-town Texans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:43 pm 
BBlalock wrote:

I've seen an equivalent map. However, that still has the problem of area distorting the impression—in a 3D representation, volume is the most obvious feature. To be accurate, population should be expressed as the volume of each solid (that is, height would be the population divided by the area of the county).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:05 am 
gwalla wrote:
I've seen an equivalent map. However, that still has the problem of area distorting the impression—in a 3D representation, volume is the most obvious feature. To be accurate, population should be expressed as the volume of each solid (that is, height would be the population divided by the area of the county).

Height is easier for many folks to estimate, especially with irregularly shaped counties.

There just isn't a way to show every bit of data without introducing some distortion.

It's like regular cartography where you're mapping an oblate sphereiod onto a flat surface.