The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's disturbing?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:49 am 
Intern
Intern

The Idaho Statesman printed this letter to the editor today.

Back book reader (The editors always put these cute titles on.)

Having read in Cal Thomas' column that President Bush had "almost finished" reading "The Case for Democracy, the Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror," and also seeing in a Jerusalem Post column by Greer Cashman that Bush "had read 210 pages of the 286-page volume," I think it's time to put partisan politics aside and support our president's efforts to finish reading this book.

For a man who takes pride in not reading newspapers, this would be a huge accomplishment and would make us proud. It would go a long way in removing that disturbing image of him holding a children's book upside down while visiting with the young ones.

Calvin Vincent Weaver, Boise

Here's my reply, haven't received confirmation that it will be printed.

What's disturbing about an image of President Bush holding a book upside down in a classroom? It's disturbing that someone created a phony image. It's disturbing that some people would believe it's a real image. It's disturbing that Calvin Vincent Weaver would believe it's a real image and send a letter to the Idaho Statesman. And it's disturbing that the Statesman's editorial staff wouldn't do the simple research to find out the image in question is phony.

The Statesman's editorial policy is to not publish Letters to the editor containing information they know to be false. Mr. Weaver's letter should have been edited or not printed at all. Here's the real information on that fake image. http://www.snopes.com/photos/bushbook.asp The Statesman should print an apology and Mr. Weaver should be embarrassed he was so easily fooled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:30 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Well, you know what they say...

fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...er...uh...can't get fooled again.