The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:52 pm 
Offline
Janitor
Janitor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:15 pm
Posts: 2388
Location: In the middle of the Pacific Ocean, somewhere.
The White House has set the date for elections in Iraq for the end of this month. Previously, they touted them as a major achievement, the turning point in Iraqi politics.

It is now the latest thing that <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&e=6&u=/nm/20050116/ts_nm/iraq_usa_expectations_dc">they are backpedaling on</a>.

In other news, Bush declares that his massive (51 percent), decisive (admittably, of the largest voter turnout in decades, which means more people did turn out FOR him than turned out AGAINST him) victory ratifies every single last thing <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/washpost/20050116/ts_washpost/a12450_2005jan15&e=3">he's done</a> to this point.

This is Donkeys and Elephants material at its best, IMHO. Discuss.

*edit for early viewers--broken link fixed*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:35 pm 
They also set a date for pulling out in july, promising that it was a hard date and would not be moved.

Heh.

It's sad that a vast majority of that turnout were single-issue voters with little regard to all the rest. At least this is what I gather from all the yammering that went on at the time.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:28 am 
Offline
Janitor
Janitor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:15 pm
Posts: 2388
Location: In the middle of the Pacific Ocean, somewhere.
Raif wrote:
It's sad that a vast majority of that turnout were single-issue voters with little regard to all the rest. At least this is what I gather from all the yammering that went on at the time.


...this just invites the question.

Which "single issue" was it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:57 pm 
No, many people voted on a single issue relevant to them, disregarding all others. The issue in question is variable.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:09 pm 
Raif wrote:
No, many people voted on a single issue relevant to them, disregarding all others. The issue in question is variable.


And this differs from every other election in history How?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:35 pm 
Kazriko wrote:
Raif wrote:
No, many people voted on a single issue relevant to them, disregarding all others. The issue in question is variable.


And this differs from every other election in history How?


Yet another reason why Democracy will never work. ;)


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:22 pm 
The natural human system of government is feudalism---small "f," not the one with knights in spiffy armor---in which all political relations are personal and hierarchical. All other forms of government are attempts to avoid the natural system, as it requires most of us to be ignorant peasants living constantly on the edge of starvation.

If you don't keep your political system in order, the odds are you'll wind up dead or a peon, so it is important to pay attention.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:49 pm 
Kazriko wrote:
And this differs from every other election in history How?

I never said it did. ;)


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:16 pm 
The "single issue" seemed in most cases to be abortion. And the fact that a disturbingly large portion of the American populace seems to think that Bush is some sort of prophet, if not God.

What scares me about Bush's second term is that, even if he only one by 2%, he may as well have one by 99. It's not as if we'll hold a public referendum for all of his policies...

*sigh*


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:45 am 
E-bit wrote:
What scares me about Bush's second term is that, even if he only one by 2%, he may as well have one by 99. It's not as if we'll hold a public referendum for all of his policies... *sigh*

Accurate enough. For the last four years, Frist, Delay, Hastert, etc., have been systematically excluding anyone in the congress not a member of the ruling clique from any say in creating legislation. They aren't allowed in the meetings where the bills are written, and Dennis enforces "The Hastert Rule," by which he never allows any bill to come to the floor without a enough Republican votes to pass it; consequently, he can run a bill all the way through the process without ever speaking to a Democrat.

The executive administration, for its part, has been systematically purging itself of any advisors or cabinet members who might have independent thoughts. The inner circle will only speak to friendly reporters and routinely ignores letters and inquiries from members of the congress. They tell the oversight committees as little as possible when called to testify, evading questions, delaying answers, feigning ignorance, etc. They seem to do this even when there is no immediate reason to do so, just because they resent any "outsiders" sticking their nose into administration business.

For GW, I think a 1% majority is just the same as a 90% majority. He doesn't appear to have enough imagination to conceive of people disagreeing with him for any reason other than to bicker and cause trouble. He therefore just plows on ahead, doing what he pleases, ignoring any complaints or objections, because a real man doesn't let whiny trouble-makers stop him from doing what is right.
[/i]


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:06 am 
Offline
Janitor
Janitor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:15 pm
Posts: 2388
Location: In the middle of the Pacific Ocean, somewhere.
Berken wrote:
E-bit wrote:
What scares me about Bush's second term is that, even if he only one by 2%, he may as well have one by 99. It's not as if we'll hold a public referendum for all of his policies... *sigh*

Accurate enough. For the last four years, Frist, Delay, Hastert, etc., have been systematically excluding anyone in the congress not a member of the ruling clique from any say in creating legislation. They aren't allowed in the meetings where the bills are written, and Dennis enforces "The Hastert Rule," by which he never allows any bill to come to the floor without a enough Republican votes to pass it; consequently, he can run a bill all the way through the process without ever speaking to a Democrat.

The executive administration, for its part, has been systematically purging itself of any advisors or cabinet members who might have independent thoughts. The inner circle will only speak to friendly reporters and routinely ignores letters and inquiries from members of the congress. They tell the oversight committees as little as possible when called to testify, evading questions, delaying answers, feigning ignorance, etc. They seem to do this even when there is no immediate reason to do so, just because they resent any "outsiders" sticking their nose into administration business.

For GW, I think a 1% majority is just the same as a 90% majority. He doesn't appear to have enough imagination to conceive of people disagreeing with him for any reason other than to bicker and cause trouble. He therefore just plows on ahead, doing what he pleases, ignoring any complaints or objections, because a real man doesn't let whiny trouble-makers stop him from doing what is right.
[/i]


Kinda like how, in the interests of protecting against terrorists (wait, I thought we WON I thought we had made the world SAFE for Democracy!), this inauguration had the MOST SECURITY EVER. Real reason, as far as I can tell: keep the protestors out of sight, and prevent assassination attempts from disgruntled AMERICANS.

Dubya's predecessor wanted to be like JFK, in recreating Camelot and getting laid in office.
Dubya has no wish to be like JFK, in being shot while on public display.

Referendum? No...the American People have CHOSEN THEIR LEADER! (and of course, NOW the news makes it out of how badly screwed Iraq has become, and that even some Republicans can't figure out his Social Security plan. Well, too late, us Kerry voters will be at the bar when you folks come to drown your sorrows with us because you realize what you really put in the White House. Well, that would be those of you who don't think that the height of debate is to hold out a photo of a crying baby and say, Look! The official mascot of the Democratic Party!)

Oh, and say Dennis's last name just one more time. Just one more.

Then you'll summon him from his nether realm to eat the world...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:06 pm 
Raif wrote:
It's sad that a vast majority of that turnout were single-issue voters with little regard to all the rest. At least this is what I gather from all the yammering that went on at the time.

I can safely say that 100% of my personal turnout was composed of single-issue voters. The single issue being 'Get Dubya out of office'. :P


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group