Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fined for blocking ports
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:03 pm 
One site
Another

Quote:
Powell said VoIP is just one part of what he called "Internet Freedom," in which the Internet's openness is carefully guarded. "In my view, the surest way to preserve 'Net Freedom' is to handle these issues in an enforcement context where hypothetical worriers give way to concrete facts and -- as we have shown today -- real solutions," Powell said.

This raises some interesting issues. What about the port-25 blocking that almost every ISP uses? The port blocking on college campuses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:31 pm 
Huh... for once the customer wins.

Port 25: different issue, really.
Colleges: Good question, in some cases they get into some pretty fuzzy ground, but since this is about stifling competetive technologies I don't think universities will be affected much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:09 pm 
Nod. The question is what precedent will it cause if someone does try to apply it to things unrelated to stiffling competing technologies.

It certainly is a very good thing otherwise because it prevents companies from leveraging their monopolies on data transfer to bolster their dying inefficient technologies by killing the more efficient alternatives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:56 pm 
It might be a benefit for them too...

One scenario put forth is that P2P clients might start using the ports that companies aren't allowed to block... so? I don't care what the application is, if it's got legitimate uses it shouldn't be blocked by the telco.

Malware is stickier, though.