The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:41 pm 
Official Village Idiot

In 1951, Edward R. Murrow wrote:
We hardly need to be reminded that we are living in an age of confusion—a lot of us have traded in our beliefs for bitterness and cynicism or for a heavy package of despair, or even a quivering portion of hysteria. Opinions can be picked up cheap in the marketplace while such commodities as courage and fortitude and faith are in alarmingly short supply.

There is a mental fear, which provokes others of us to see the images of witches in a neighbor’s yard and stampedes us to burn down his house. And there is a creeping fear of doubt, doubt of what we have been taught, of the validity of so many things we had long since taken for granted to be durable and unchanging. It has become more difficult than ever to distinguish black from white, good from evil, right from wrong.

Except for those who think in terms of pious platitudes or dogma or narrow prejudice (and those thoughts we aren’t interested in), people don’t speak their beliefs easily, or publicly.

Edward R. Murrow said this in introduction to the legendary "This I Believe." We can yell and scream all we like about the way society is going to hell, and how much better things used to be. But remember: the good old days only seem good <i>because</i> they're old. Murrow's words are as true today as when he spoke them 55 years ago.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.