It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Who will it be?
Hillary Clinton 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Barack Obama 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Bill Richardson 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:34 pm 
First off, no flames or insults. I want this to be a Civil, rational debate. I'll take the side of Bill Richardson.

Alright, we have Three people who have announced their running for presidency in the Democratic... umm... area.

Barack Obama (First African-American with a shot at winning. No really, he is part african)
Bill Richardson (First Hispanic with a shot at winning. No really, he is a mexican citizen. This is why Dual citizenship rocks teh house.)
Hillary Clinton (First woman with a shot at winning.)

Alright, I Personally believe that Barack Obama has a very decent shot at winning. He is well educated, and he knows how to talk the talk. My question to him would be: Can he walk the walk?

Bill Richardson can talk the talk and walk the walk. If you've been anywhere near New Mexico in the past few years, you can see what I Mean. There is now a commuter rail system and very good public transportation in the cities of Albuquerque, Bernalillo, Belen, Los Lunes, and soon to be Santa Fe. He has dropped the unemployment and homeless rate, and has raised the minimum wage (Although the mayor of Albuquerque, Martin Chavez, did him one better by raising Albuquerque's minimum wage higher than the state's). Out of the 3 candadites, I believe he has the best shot at the democratic presidency.

Hillary Clinton on the other hand, and this is my personal opinion, has too much "Baggage with Bill" to win the race. There's no nice way to put it, so i'll be blunt. Bill was a letch. No morals whatsoever. Do we really want our president to be someone who is banning trans fats in New York?

[/rant]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:08 pm 
Official Village Idiot

I don't think Richardson has a chance, frankly. He may be smart and savvy, but the dual-citizenship thing is gonna kill him. Potentially divided loyalty was a major issue for Kennedy in the 1960 election, and that was just because he was Catholic. In these paranoid times, I don't think the public would stand for a president with foreign citizenship.

I can only hope you're right about Hillary's chances. I have nothing against the idea of a female president, but good gawd, not that woman (same goes for Condi on the other side). She gves the impression that her goal isn't so much to try to fix the country or provide strong leadership as it is to be the First Woman President.

After the '06 elections, it's a fairly safe bet that whoever wins the Democratic nomination will be going to the White House. True, we've got another year and a half for the political winds to change, but it would have to be one hell of a shift for the GOP to have more than the proverbial snowball's chance of winning.

EDIT: I see two possible exceptions to my statements in the last paragraph. Rudy Guliani has national recognition and popularity, and doesn't have the stigma of being associated with all the Washington BS. Colin Powell has always been a popular choice for the presidency, and could even benefit from his estrangement with the current administration.

Pity he doesn't want the job. I'd vote for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:19 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Simon Jester wrote:
She gves the impression that her goal isn't so much to try to fix the country or provide strong leadership as it is to be the First Woman President.

Wait, are you trying to say that some political candidate somewhere is actually guided by the former instead of pure personal gain? 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:47 pm 
Official Village Idiot

gnolam wrote:
Simon Jester wrote:
She gves the impression that her goal isn't so much to try to fix the country or provide strong leadership as it is to be the First Woman President.

Wait, are you trying to say that some political candidate somewhere is actually guided by the former instead of pure personal gain? 8O

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm an idealist. :) I guess a better wording would be that she seems to be focusing on the latter almost to the exclusion of the former - that she's a politician's politician. Yeah, some of Bill's slime has rubbed off on her, but she produces plenty of her own, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:52 pm 
Official Village Idiot

Simon Jester wrote:
Yeah, yeah, I know I'm an idealist. :) I guess a better wording would be that she seems to be focusing on the latter almost to the exclusion of the former - that she's a politician's politician. Yeah, some of Bill's slime has rubbed off on her, but she produces plenty of her own, too.

In fact, let me expand on this a bit more.

It's all fine and well to have personal, political gain as a motivator. Any politician who is honest with himself is going to admit to it. The problem is that sometimes (okay, often, maybe even usually) the gain becomes the sole motivator. This is when the candidate becomes dangerous, because they will spend so much time and effort in attaining office that they can be unprepared for the job when they get it.

I believe that Clinton falls into this category. The acquisition of the presidency and the glory that goes with being the first woman behind the desk in the Oval Office (as opposed to in front of, or under) may (note my use of the word may) have become a higher priority than actually running the country once she makes it in. Once in office, I fear that she will not use her powers responsibly or effectively (see the earlier comment about trans fat legislation).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:05 pm 
Of the Dems currently under dicussion, I think Obama has the best chance at the nomination. He's high profile enough to gain national support, yet hasn't done anything too stupid in the national public eye.

However, I recall a thread on this board where Kerry's chances at nomination were described as "no way in hell." NPR vioced the opinion that there is every chance that the current headrunners will kill each other off, allowing a dark horse to take the nomination. I can't see a flaw in their arguement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:58 pm 
Can't I just vote for Al Gore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:49 am 
How about this: whoever announces their candidacy of their own free will (regardless of political affiliation) is to be officially barred from running.

Seriously, anyone who has enough ambition to lead a major nation, even knowing what an utterly horrid, soul-crushing job the Presidency is, is obviously insane and is not suitable for the position.

We would almost be better off with a lottery, IMAO. We may end up with a pig farmer from West Knuckledrag, or some wingnut who has been sleeping in Sproul Plaza for the last five years and talks to the Little People whenever she's off her meds, but given the record of the professional politicians, would that be all that much worse?

And just think, that way, when people say that any kid could grow up to be President, they wouldn't be just talking out of their ass anymore.

Do You Believe That?™

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:10 pm 
Well, the first primary results are in with Obama at #1, Edwards in the middle, and Clinton trailing...

let's see what happens.

And did Richardson fall off the face of things?