The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:50 pm 
Intern
Intern

Abhinav Bindra has won India's first ever individual Olympic gold medal, but you won't see it on NBC.

Why? Because he won it in the ten meter AIR RIFLE competition. Heaven forbid NBC ever broadcast anything showing guns (or bows and arrows) used in sport.

In contrast to only winning a total of five individual Olympic medals in 80 years, India's hockey teams have taken the gold eight times, the last in 1980.

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:56 pm 
Not sure the guns have much to do with this. I remember seeing some shooting competitions in Athens on TV. I think it has more to do with just generally narrow coverage (NBC seems to be treating the online streaming video as a license to not show anything but a handful of sports on TV, even though they've got about 5 channels).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:51 pm 
Intern
Intern

The IOC shouldn't be handing out exclusive TV coverage contracts. There's too much going on at Olympic games for a single network per country or broadcast market to adequately show everything.

I bet Outdoor Life Network would show full coverage of all the shooting and archery events, plus anything else that isn't as flashy and splashy as gymnastics, track and field or water sports.

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:42 am 
bizzybody wrote:
The IOC shouldn't be handing out exclusive TV coverage contracts. There's too much going on at Olympic games for a single network per country or broadcast market to adequately show everything.
Agreed 100%.

Quote:
I bet Outdoor Life Network would show full coverage of all the shooting and archery events, plus anything else that isn't as flashy and splashy as gymnastics, track and field or water sports.
Possibly. The only problem is that shooting isn't much of a spectator sport. Fun to do, but not all that interesting to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:33 pm 
Intern
Intern

I find shooting, targets and skeet, quite fun to watch. They're extreme tests of skill, coordination and mental conditioning.