The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

What shall we do with old forums?
Poll ended at Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:02 pm
Delete them all, no exceptions 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Delete some of them, but leave certain ones locked but available (I'll state which below) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Make them only visible to registered members. 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
Make them only visible to newly registered and established registered members 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Old Forums
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:02 pm 
Developer
Developer

Hi folks,

I have recently upgraded the zoo to a new version of phpBB and I was looking at the growing list of old forums that haven't been used, and therefore locked.

I'd like to hear thoughts below of all our registered users.

Last edited by Syloq on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sticky reset

Post subject: Re: Old Forums
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:41 pm 
Intern
Intern

Syloq wrote:
Hi folks,

I have recently upgraded the zoo to a new version of phpBB and I was looking at the growing list of old forums that haven't been used, and therefore locked.

I'd like to hear thoughts below of all our registered users.

The SchlockMercenary forum is the only one I read on here, so I don't have a dog in the race as long as none of our threads go away.

It's interesting to hear there's been a phpBB version change recently -- that explains some of the changes in behavior I've seen, such as the fact that when I "Post Reply" and it sends me to Login it no longer forwards me back to the page I was trying to reply on. Annoying, but nothing that "Back, Back, Reload" can't fix.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:27 pm 
Developer
Developer

Whitehawke wrote:
It's interesting to hear there's been a phpBB version change recently -- that explains some of the changes in behavior I've seen, such as the fact that when I "Post Reply" and it sends me to Login it no longer forwards me back to the page I was trying to reply on. Annoying, but nothing that "Back, Back, Reload" can't fix.

I've noticed a few other oddities as well. I'm going to look into it now that I know it isn't just me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:40 pm 
Developer
Developer

Syloq wrote:
Whitehawke wrote:

I've noticed a few other oddities as well. I'm going to look into it now that I know it isn't just me.

Well I think I may have fixed it as it appears that the upgrade didn't go as well as the logs led me to believe.

Let me know if thats still an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:51 am 
Malevolent God of the Schlockiverse

I don't have a dog in this race, either. As long as Schlock is up and running I'm happy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:11 am 
Intern
Intern

Woah. There are other forums? And people use them still?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:51 am 
Developer
Developer

Howard Tayler wrote:
I don't have a dog in this race, either. As long as Schlock is up and running I'm happy.

Don't worry. You actually moderate your forum pretty actively. I can't say that about other moderators for other forums.

Fishman wrote:
Woah. There are other forums? And people use them still?

That's entirely the point. There are lots of forums that aren't used anymore and haven't been used in a long time. I've locked them awhile ago as spammers were just using them. I've enlisted quite a few measures to stop or limit that recently. But as a whole the board is filled with a lot of junk that is rarely, if ever, used.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:51 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I'd say keep them. It's annoying to me, at least, when Stuff Vanishes On The Internet. (Plus I'm pretty sure the Melonpool and It's Walky! forums, at least, contain a lot of good stuff that should be kept. Can't say for the others though.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:21 pm 
I'm with The Bushranger. New visitors to these webcomics/board might like to see these discussions, especially if external links point to them.

If you're growing short on space and there's tons of completely useless stuff, I'd say make a judgement call and delete some, otherwise, why not keep?

Also, what's the difference between the latter two choices in the poll? *scratches head*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:15 am 
Developer
Developer

OmHumm wrote:
I'm with The Bushranger. New visitors to these webcomics/board might like to see these discussions, especially if external links point to them.

If you're growing short on space and there's tons of completely useless stuff, I'd say make a judgement call and delete some, otherwise, why not keep?

Also, what's the difference between the latter two choices in the poll? *scratches head*

Reducing the size of the board is my major concern. As most forums here are years old (and even years inactive). Due to forum moderators going AWOL and not saying what to do with the information. In that light I've locked all non-active forums that do not have mods due to spammers causing issues in the past.

As far as the categories above. Registered users are users that have posted x valid/approved posts (I'm not going to release how many posts that is due to spammers trying to spam the forum). Newly Registered Users have not yet posted x valid/approved posts and therefore cannot post without moderation. You, fell into this category.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:44 pm 
TBH, I registered so I could read the archives of the It's Walky forums, so I hope that the admins decide to keep old forums available, if not postable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I have no dog in the fight, beyond wanting to see the weapons thread preserved.... I'll wager it can be moved if need be.
//Torenal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:45 pm 
Developer
Developer

Since the majority voted for only fully registered members to see the pages that is just what I have done.

If you are a newly registered member you need to post enough to move to the registered users forum.

Locking thread now.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]