The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:11 pm 
In a stunning feat of precision, Chalain and Bookworm managed to move the Nightstar site and the Nightstar Zoo in under 12 hours, and have it almost completely functional the next morning. (Site login doesn't work, forum login does.)

We thank you for your patience, short-lived as it had to be, while we moved our hosting provider, and ask that you heartily thank Chalain and Book if you see em. (If you're really really really grateful, come to #nightstar and tell them.)

For future reference, should the Zoo be down, updates on its status will be posted in the <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/community/nightstar_irc/">Nightstar Livejournal Community</a>. We strongly recommend that you join the community if you have Livejournal, and bookmark it if not. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:37 pm 
Nightstar Graveyard Daemon

*Blush*

Thank you. I apologize to everyone for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. I am grateful to be part of such a great community.

Though I handled the most visible part of the move, deep thanks go out to the entire Nightstar team for pulling together to help. About the same time I found out about the Zoo being down, the phone rang to tell me that my father-in-law had suffered a massive heart attack and was in the hospital. It was far more than I could possibly take, and if Nightstar had not rallied around my call for help without my even telling them why, the Zoo would probably still be down.

Big thanks go to Bookworm, of course, for giving us a home until we find a place of our own, for sorting out the hosting details, for staying up until 3:30am handholding me through the tricky bits of the restore, and for making me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe when I desperately needed a smile.

Thanks are due to Syloq and Ogredude for helping with the DNS, routing, and having phone numbers on hand to get ahold of the necessary people.

Thanks to Pi, we were able to bring the forum up read-only with an announcement to tell people what was going on. Pi also handled some of the database tuning.

Kreely jumped in with help finding permanent hosting.

Thanks are due to Deamon, for leaving the Zoo up and permitting backups to be made of the database even after the hosting situation was untenable for him.

Thank you Woap, for helping get the word out through the LJ community.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some people, and I apologize. Thank you, everyone, for stepping up to the plate and giving your best. You are awesome.

-Chalain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:56 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Just to point out, Chalain did most of the work.

On the whole, I simply handed him his tools, moved things out of the way, then dropped a spanner on his toe when he needed it.

If he denies it, ask him about George Bush and Jacques Chirac.

BW

(Don't send praise, send money! :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:10 pm 
Nightstar Graveyard Daemon

Bookworm wrote:
If he denies it, ask him about George Bush and Jacques Chirac.

AAAAAAGH! Corn in my eye! It burns! It BUUUURNS!!!

Dude, I'm still laughing about that.