The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:01 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

The article blurb wrote:
Astronomers say they have discovered an object that appears to be an invisible galaxy made almost entirely of dark matter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4288633.stm

Doesn't seem to have been subjected to peer review yet, but it's still pretty cool. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:57 pm 
The article describes this "galaxy" being a disk of free hydrogen, but this paragraph...

Quote:
Very little is known about "dark matter", even though there is much more of it in the cosmos than "normal", or baryonic, matter, which constitutes the visible material from which stars and planets are built.

So, suddenly hydrogen isn't baryonic?

Or, more likely, some journalist mixed up their flavors of "dark matter"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:37 pm 
Intern
Intern

Dark anti-hydrogen? Or anti dark-hydrogen? Or milk chocolate hydrogen with almonds? ;)

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:09 am 
bizzybody wrote:
Dark anti-hydrogen? Or anti dark-hydrogen? Or milk chocolate hydrogen with almonds? ;)

Hm...Isn't there some amount of matter floating out there? I think if there was an anti-matter glaxy, we'd detect some energy from the anihilations going all over it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:22 pm 
I don't know. There isn't any real difference except for the spin of the particles. Wouldn't a galaxy of antimatter look exactly the same if there wasn't any normal matter near it?

What beats me though, is what an astronomer is doing going to the popular press before a peer reviewed journal. That's a big no-no. A lot of journals won't even consider publishing it now.