It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tasps, and Wireheads.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:13 pm 
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=7787967
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149245,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:04 pm 
Interesting! Now they just have to figure out a way of stimulating those regions without the need for implanted electrodes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:39 pm 
gwalla wrote:
Interesting! Now they just have to figure out a way of stimulating those regions without the need for implanted electrodes.

Yes, then they'd really have a Tasp, rather than just a Droud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:52 am 
Intern
Intern

The perfect addiction. They'll just sit there until they die of starvation. I dunno exactly what sort of timers Niven figured a droud would have, but with current technology it'd be possible to build the entire thing on a single tiny chip, directly soldered to the circuit board then potted in epoxy. This has been done since the early days of microchips*.

With such a setup, it'd be impossible for a wirehead to set the timer beyond a hard coded maximum built into the chip as it's made. Trying to remove the chip would destroy it. 'Course with currently available technology, any half decent geek could build his or her own droud from scratch after having the socket installed.

*I used to have a calculator from around 1970 that was nothing but a red LED display, a keypad, a 9v battery compartment and a single chip potted on the back of the display. The rest of the hand filling unit was empty space because it used the same case as the previous model built with a through hole mounted chip and a pile of discrete components.

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:11 am 
...yeah. This isn't a droud/tasp. Anti-depression treatments != pleasure centre stimulators, and neither does it appear to produce contentment beyond human norms. So I think there's actually less chance of them starving themselves to death now. :wink:

The question would be, could the technology be 'dialed up', or would it just produce another imbalance that would produce unhappy(er) people?

And could they produce one that worked on folks that weren't biologically hardwired to depression in the first place? Since the gist of the article seems to be that it does not work on temporary depressions, ie normal people having crappy lives. So much for wiring up Walmart workers...

*is now creepily reminded of a story in which implants allowed folks to turn off most of their basic motivators, like pleasure and entertainment seeking and pain avoidance, for work and study purposes, and the end results*