It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:52 pm 
discuss

I'm kind of interested in the responses to this around here.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:43 pm 
The Washington Post wrote:
We are unable to locate the page you requested.
The page may have moved or may no longer be available

You may also want to try our search
to locate news and information on washingtonpost.com

The article is a bit thin on content to come to any solid conclusions, and it kinda left me unfulfilled. I don't feel like all of my questions on this important topic have been answered.

The last paragraph also kinda comes across as an advertisement more than a news story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:12 pm 
Copied verbatum:

Quote:
VISOKO, Bosnia-Herzegovina -- Researchers on Wednesday unearthed geometrically cut stone slabs that they said could form part of the sloping surface of what they believe is an ancient pyramid lying beneath a huge hill.

Archaeologists and other experts began digging at this central Bosnian town last week to explore the team leader's theory that the 2,120-foot hill covers a step pyramid, which would be the first ever found in Europe.

"These are the first uncovered walls of the pyramid," Semir Osmanagic, a Bosnian archaeologist who studied the pyramids of Latin America for 15 years, said of the stonework found Wednesday.

"We can see the surface is perfectly flat. This is the crucial material proof that we are talking pyramids," he said.

Osmanagic believes the structure will prove to be 722 feet high, or a third taller than Egypt's Great Pyramid of Giza.

The huge stone blocks discovered Wednesday appeared to be cut in cubes and polished.

"It is so obvious that the top of the blocks, the surface is man-made," Osmanagic said.

Earlier research on the hill, known as Visocica, found that it has 45-degree slopes pointing toward the cardinal points and a flat top. Under layers of dirt, workers discovered a paved entrance plateau, entrances to tunnels and large stone blocks.

Satellite photographs and thermal imaging revealed two other, smaller pyramid-shaped hills in the Visoko Valley.

Last week's excavations began with a team of rescue workers from a nearby coal mine being sent into a tunnel believed to be part of an underground network connecting the three pyramid-shaped hills.

They were followed by archeologists, geologists and other experts who emerged from the tunnel later to declare that it was certainly man-made.

The work at Visoko, about 20 miles northwest of Sarajevo, will continue for about six months. Two experts from Egypt are due to join the team in mid-May.

"It will be a very exciting archaeological spring and summer," Osmanagic said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:02 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Kook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:42 am 
The AIA article is actually kind to him. Semir Osmanagic and the (Bosnian) Temple of Doom.

I honestly was looking to see if even people with little of no archaeoloigical knowlage could tell what was going on. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:28 pm 
I'll admit I was skeptical from reading the description DT pasted. Too many difficult questions that weren't even attempted at answering, not the least of which being "Why was this never found before?"

Normally, when confronted with something this fantastic (incredible? unbelievable? Funny how all of the words that mean "obviously fake" have been co-opted by superhero comics), I would seek alternate sources for the data, and do more research. However, since the "discovery" would not have affected me either way, and I'm not really an archaeology buff, my giveashit meter was far too close to the E for me to bother.