All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:31 am 
Revelations wrote:

Quote:
Yay mafias!

Err...how?

Quote:
Yay corruption and oppression of minorities!

And again, do explain more fully than a six-word answer, please.

Because organizations that spring up in the lack of governance don't always want the community's welfare; they're likely to want the welfare of themselves, and welfare of others be damned. And if you think having a gun will keep you safe, well, you don't understand the power that groups of people can exert on individuals.

The main problem with tearing down government is that government of the worst sort would quickly spring back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:16 pm 
Revelations wrote:
Anh Minh wrote:
The American public school system may be terrible, but here, I think that out of the top twenty high school, one, maybe two, are private.

And...that's wherever you are. Which, from that statement, I interpret as 'not in the US.' Since I happen to be from America, I'll just continue to use examples that I'm familiar with.

My point is that, while your system may need a massive overhaul, it's not a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Public school can be good. Make it so, instead of condemning the poor to be uneducated. (I'm sure there are alternatives, even without public education. Like a, aha, governmental organisation to see that there is at least a minimum of quality in every school, and massive scholarships, and so on. But you don't seem favorable to them either...)

Quote:
Quote:
Re: the draft. What Sun Tzu said. And the bit about putting your life on the line. And the Heinlein reference.

...and how do any of those count as wanting a draft? People have the choice of serving the government or not. I know plenty of people who have, I know plenty of people who wouldn't touch the government with a twenty-foot pole.

And you want to take rights from them.

Quote:
Quote:
Want to send all-volunteer firefighters into chemical plants?

Why not? If I were a firefighter and I had the training, I'd go ahead willingly. It's what I signed up to do, after all.

Big if. While there is no need for an all-professional firefighter corp, some parts of, well, fighting fire are full-time jobs, and should be treated so. You said it could be handled locally... I don't disagree on that point.

Quote:
Quote:
Yay mafias!

Err...how?

The mafias outgun you. And your kids, when they go to school? They outgun them, too.

Quote:
Quote:
Yay corruption and oppression of minorities!

And again, do explain more fully than a six-word answer, please.

What's to keep people from electing a judge after their own heart, who will consider, say, a Black dating a White to be a capital offense? Just an example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:38 pm 
Revelations wrote:
Same with the Mob/Mafia/whatever - they come onto my land and demand protection money, they'll get it - in the form of small elad pellets at high speed.

And then more of them will be back, and they'll bring with them their own small lead pellets--probably a lot more than are necessary to get the job done--and send 'em quite quickly in the opposite direction.

-=-Barnabas