[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - Starship Troopers

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starship Troopers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:38 am 
One of my favorite books if you must know. I have re-read it 12 or 13 times. For those who have not read it yet (you should) it is nothing like the Frankenstein version the movie ended up as. The focus of the story is on the History and Moral Philosophy discussions and their applications. There is a lot in there to make you think.

So, any thoughts? This thread is completely open for all discussion on anything relating to Starship Troopers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:50 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:00 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:31 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:09 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:24 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:43 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:36 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:14 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:33 pm 
Err...no?

The purpose of a democratic government is not to serve the people. People serve the government. In theory, you're supposed to be making a massive sacrifice in order to assume elected office. It's supposed to be a burden of service.

A government should concern itself solely with national defense and foreign policy. Including proactive defense, if need be. Other than that, it should have no role whatsoever in society. No welfare, no road maintainence, nothing of the sort. The only 'service' the government should have is providing everyone within it's society a single basic right - the opportunity to suceed. No guarantees, no help, no hinderance. You have a chance to succeed. What you do with it is completely up to you. Nothing more, nothing less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:48 pm 
Screw you, Revelation. A government and its role are whatever we make of them. You want a governement that's stripped down to the army and a few diplomats, good for you, vote in that direction. If you find no politicians to hold that position, become a politician.

But you have no call telling me that if I want my government to handle welfare, road maintenance, police, ecology, and, why not, girls in pink tutu dancing in the streets, I'm wrong and shouldn't be allowed to vote.

And while we're at it, why should we be ready to "sacrifice ourselves"? Plenty of other ways to serve a country than marching into a dump I can't locate on an atlas to get shot by people I never met in a war I don't approve of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:50 pm 
Hey! No fair impersonating me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:57 pm 
Me or him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:58 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:20 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:24 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:25 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:22 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:29 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:46 am 
As a crrent military member, allow me to inform you that I take considerable pride in doing my job to the best of my ability to preserve that freedom in one very fundamental way. no one else HAS to serve. Anyone able to keep themselves out of too much trouble is free to serve, if able. (criminals not welcome)

There are three major functions of government, and foriegn defence is just one of them. It is also neccisary to protect the people from eachother, and provide for them. Government is a tool, and like any tool, only as useful as the way we use it.

Law enforcement and Fire protection are excellent examples of government service. No-one has a chance to succeed if they are picked up and enslaved by the local warlord or Mob boss, just because it's too much trouble for the government to intervene.

Public education is another important service. it ensures everyone should have the basic education they need in life. Not just the kids whose parents are wealthy enough to send them to a private school. Again, everyone gets the opportunity (in theory) to succeed. not just those in power.

Back to the subject, I've read the book and seen the movie. Two (almost) completely different stories. there were a number of ideals presented in that book, Government was just one of them. And I did not get the impression the author was trying to say it was perfect. Rico and his buddies did get assaulted outside the bar by people who didn't really care for the system.

More importantly, the book focused heavily on Infantry. Given some pre-Korean war attitude, those points make a lot of sence. it's never good enough just to think you can bomb your enemies into submision, eventually, it comes down to someone walking around on the streets with a gun. (yes, I know the book came some time after the Korean war) Infantry will never become obsolete. but it will continue to evolve.

Lastly, I don't think the book ever could've translated very well into a movie. It's just too hard to tell a story about charecters when they all put on powered armor and become indistinguishable from eachother. I still think they did a better job on Starship Troopers than that travesty they made of Last of the Mohicans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:14 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:57 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:39 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:49 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:06 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:07 pm 

Last edited by Travellar on Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:50 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:22 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:17 am