[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - Is freedom a good thing?

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is freedom a good thing?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:54 pm 
It's something I've been wondering about lately...I mean, in our society, it's considered pretty much of a given. Freedom is the most exalted value, give me liberty or give me death, yadda yadda yadda.
But on the other hand, we impose limitations on our freedom. Drug laws, gun laws...And some people argue that taxes are themselves a breach of their liberty.
Is there such a thing as too much freedom? I mean, we don't give children half as much freedom as we give to adults, for a simple reason: They don't have the wisdom to use it right, and when we let them do whatever they want, they end up hurting themselves and others.
Well, the problem is...That's also true about adults. "Freedom" includes the freedom to make huge mistakes.
So to what extent should people be free? Is it beter to let them do as they will, even if they end up destroying themselves? Is it better to have their lives controlled by a higher authority (and what authority?), so as to keep them safe? Or is it better to find a middle ground - and if so, which? And why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:27 pm 
I can't see how either extreme would even be viable. A middle ground is always best. Even the libertarians ask for a middle ground: Everything's good except force and fraud. As to how much each person should have, depends on who you ask, and I guarantee we won't all agree on it. It's possible none of us will agree where the line should be.

For my two bits: Let people do whatever they want until it starts interfering with other people's actions. Again, I distinguish belief and action, here. If someone walks around naked and somebody else doesn't like that... tough. If somebody starts beating a nudist, that'd be a problem.

Obviously this would necessitate that people be able to deal with the consequences of their actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:21 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:03 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:51 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:48 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:42 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:41 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:33 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:02 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:06 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:42 pm 
Vorpal Bunny Slipper
Vorpal Bunny Slipper

Mit Beton gießt du es aus, das Fundament vom Knochenhaus.
Scharr, scharr, verscharr das Gebein, da ist noch Platz, da paßt noch wer rein.
Hier tobte sich der Teufel aus, unten im Keller im Knochenhaus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:30 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:58 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:14 pm