The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:21 am 
Since the last thread degenerated into a discussion of governmental responsibilities, let's try this again.

I got the impression from reading the book that it was more about the importence of a suitable infantry force in warfighting. keep in mind that it was written at a time when our society was moving more and more towards mechinization, and infantry was increasingly viewed as obsolete.

Thoughts? opinions? flames? cash donations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:35 am 
Eh, I'll nibble.

I think one of the points he was trying to make with that was that humans will always be nesecary for warefare. As automated as our defense becomes, we will always need human lives to be on the line to keep us from taking war too lightly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:36 am 
Um...if you weren't looking for it to turn into such a discussion, shouldn't you have posted it in the Library?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:38 am 
I started the other one, and I don't mind where it has gone. I guess he just wanted to begin another one focusing on the stuff in the book and maybe more along the actual militaristic side of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:27 am 
well, I got the impression from the original post that it was for a philisophical debate on the ideas presented in the book. After a couple of posts in the other thread, there's hardly a mention of the book or it's concepts.

either that, or the Sith Monkey made me do it, but I won't call him that, I enjoy breathing. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:26 pm 
DarthBaboon wrote:
Eh, I'll nibble.

I think one of the points he was trying to make with that was that humans will always be nesecary for warefare. As automated as our defense becomes, we will always need human lives to be on the line to keep us from taking war too lightly.

If human lives aren't on the line, why shouldn't we take war lightly?

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm 
If human lives aren't on the line, they'll still be in the balance.

Also - if a thing thinks, has emotion, can create, etc - is it any different from humans?

As far as military needing infantry - well, the answer is a resounding 'it depends'

*IF* the technology is such that you have no need for human decisionmaking, humans may well not do well in combat. Then again, humans heal and machines need repair, humans are relatively cheap...

And I'm rambling.... *wry grin*

-John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:39 am 
Discarnate wrote:

Also - if a thing thinks, has emotion, can create, etc - is it any different from humans?

I was thinking of remote-controlled mechanized warfare rather than AI-controlled mechanized warfare. Good points, though.

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:33 pm 
Barnabas Truman wrote:
Discarnate wrote:

I was thinking of remote-controlled mechanized warfare rather than AI-controlled mechanized warfare. Good points, though.

Thanks. However, considering the vulnerabilities inherent in remote-controlled machinery (everything from lightspeed lag to jamming to cracking), and the fact that more and more of our modern-day automated units (UCAV, Predator, Global Hawk) are becoming more and more independant, I doubt that there'll be much development that way.

Unless, of course, we get something like a rogue UCAV taking out all the airliners in some crowded flight zone. That could (would?) change the direction we're apparently heading.

-John