Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battlestar Galactica
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:41 pm 
My boss says that Cylons are Baptist.

To quote him in his lj post...

Battlestar Galactica
Last Friday, I was watching the first episode of the new Battlestar Galactica. So far, I think it's very well done. The characters are develping nicely, and the special effects rock. However, while watching it, I had an interesting realization.

The Cylons are Baptists.

Throughout the episode, the Cylon called Number 6 keeps telling Dr. Baltar about the glory and power of God. Eventually, it culminates in the typical Baptist screed "God loves you! Only God can save you. Repent or be destroyed."

I plan to keep watching this show to see how it turns out. So far, though, my inner geek is satisfied with the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:47 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

So... the Cylons are Baptists while the series as a whole is Mormon? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:26 pm 
Yes, 'tis good. :) Some minor continuity issues, but very well done.

And concur on the Cylons. I suspect, however, that only her model is *quite* so... fanatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:36 pm 
Raif wrote:
Yes, 'tis good. :) And concur on the Cylons. I suspect, however, that only her model is *quite* so... fanatic.

Nope. They're all bloody-minded and -handed fanatics. Wait til you get to know Leoben Conoy. Whew!

Eventually #6 takes the not-so-good doctor to the edge of destruction and he converts...

From reading the original script it's apparent the religious fanatisism was reduced in filming.

It puzzles me... the Cylons and the humans use the same scriptures but the Cylons claim one god while the humans claim many...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:33 am 
Intern
Intern

The original BSG was quite heavily laced with Mormon stuff, with a little Von Danniken anchient astronauts stuff stirred into the mix.

The one thing that I don't like about the new BSG is that Moore made the Cylons a human creation that turned on their creators.

That is only the oldest (Mary Shelly's 'Frankenstein') and most cliche plot in science fiction. :mad: How 'original' of Moore to use it.

What made the original BSG different was the Cylons were the gone-bad creation of some other sapient race and the Colonials got dragged into the conflict when they attempted to protect another race from the Cylons.

Edit: Successful and 'Manimal' in the same sentence? LOL! And what about his most recent flop 'Nightman'?

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:40 pm 
In my opinion the cylons are more Evangilistic or Born again than Baptist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:27 pm 
Gen. Burnsides wrote:
In my opinion the cylons are more Evangilistic or Born again than Baptist.

I'm not sure about plain Baptists, but the Southern Baptist church I belonged to was evangilistic and born again.

I've seen a few episodes of the new BG and it was pretty cool . The big problem I had was that the political stuff was way too cliche for me.

And yes, the whole "we created a monster" bit is older than the hills, but from the episodes I saw they're at least doing a darn good job of it.