The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:02 am 
but they appear to be out of practice. Because, wow, that is the clumsiest censorship attempt ever.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/03/16/davinci.code.reut/index.html

Quote:
The novel is going to reach an even wider audience next year with the release of a film based on the book staring Tom Hanks.

And a fairly wide audience now that The Church has condemned it. "If they don't like it, it must be good." :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:44 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

what

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:53 pm 
Jesus, Oggy, if you have nothing to say, could you say it a little quieter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:15 pm 
You know, Pronto, I think you may be making too much of this. It isn't the Catholic Church as a whole, it is a single Catholic authority (at least in this news item). And it isn't censorship, he condemns the book and calls it full of lies (boy, a fictional book full of lies, who would have thunkit?) but that is not the same a censorship.

Now I have seen unfair depictions of my faith in novels before, and I understand that they can be hurtful. Especially if they are done in such a way that people think of them as true instead of just a fictional plot element. So I understand the desire this guy has to 'fight back'. But if he plans to fight against unkind depictions of the Catholic Church in popular entertainment, then he is going to need a lot of free time for that project.

I definately agree that this isn't likely to do any damage to the sales of the book or movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:52 pm 
Quote:
A top Catholic cardinal has blasted "The Da Vinci Code" as a "gross and absurd" distortion of history and said Catholic bookstores should take the bestseller off their shelves because it is full of "cheap lies."

Quote:
Bertone's comments were significant because until the pope named him archbishop of Genoa in 2003 he was for years the number two man at the Vatican's most powerful department -- the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

Ask me nice and maybe I'll explain why I'm so down on religion in general and the catholic religion in particular. Then again, maybe not. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:40 pm 
I don't see any problem with having a problem with the Catholic Church. I'm not a big fan of them myself. We probably have different reasons for our antipathy though.

I've heard many reasons from many people about why they dislike religion in general. Many of them have reasonable concerns, and many have the same concerns. If you have any unusual ones I'd be curious. If you don't care to share, that's okay to. I've found that those types of discussions usually attract people until they spontaneouly combust into a flame war, which I'd rather not participate in. I prefer a discussion to a shouting match.

(Not that the shouting match can't be fun, I just feel like I wasted my time afterwards because it ends up doing nothing but ticking people off.)

I agree that this cardinal most liekly stepped on his ding-a-ling on this one. I think he is within his rights to object to the portrayal of his church. But he sounds quite overbearing and pompous, which rubs most people (especially me) the wrong way. And picking a best seller to rail against is probably not a battle you are going to win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:19 pm 
OTOH, it's not as if he wants all books confiscated and burnt. He just wants the Catholic (not Christian, just the Catholic) shopkeepers to stop selling it of their own free will. As censorship goes, it's pretty weak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:29 am 
Actually, I'm not at all surprised that he finds the book offensive. I'm offended myself. It isn't the concept that Jesus had children, it's the idea that the Church has the equivalent of the S.S. which goes around and kills people that they don't like.

That's not a very good story. It's more like hate speech. Nobody decent stands up for the "Protocols of the Elders of Sion" so what's this author's excuse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:10 am 
well, one small difference is that The Da Vinci Code is clearly labeled as fiction. The author, IIRC, has made a point of how much he researched for it. But it is still just a novel about a conpirasy theory.

The 'Prorocalls" on the other hand are pushed as being fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:45 pm 
Vorpal Bunny Slipper
Vorpal Bunny Slipper

Madcat wrote:
It isn't the concept that Jesus had children, it's the idea that the Church has the equivalent of the S.S. which goes around and kills people that they don't like.

Yeah, usually they've been pretty open about that.

Mit Beton gießt du es aus, das Fundament vom Knochenhaus.
Scharr, scharr, verscharr das Gebein, da ist noch Platz, da paßt noch wer rein.
Hier tobte sich der Teufel aus, unten im Keller im Knochenhaus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:37 pm 
Yes, and so was Nazi Germany. You don't see people writing about the evil racist Germans, nor would it be considered polite to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:54 pm 
You are aware that the catholic church not only admitted to having an 'enforcement' arm, but that they brag about it? That the church considers it one of thier best efforts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:54 am 
Vorpal Bunny Slipper
Vorpal Bunny Slipper

Madcat wrote:
Yes, and so was Nazi Germany. You don't see people writing about the evil racist Germans, nor would it be considered polite to do so.

Your analogy is flawed. I don't recall hearing that The Da Vinci Code depicts all Christians, or even all Catholics, as heretic-killing assassins.

Mit Beton gießt du es aus, das Fundament vom Knochenhaus.
Scharr, scharr, verscharr das Gebein, da ist noch Platz, da paßt noch wer rein.
Hier tobte sich der Teufel aus, unten im Keller im Knochenhaus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:14 pm 
Madcat wrote:
Actually, I'm not at all surprised that he finds the book offensive. I'm offended myself. It isn't the concept that Jesus had children, it's the idea that the Church has the equivalent of the S.S. which goes around and kills people that they don't like.

I'll admit my memories of the book are a bit foggy, but didn't it turn out in the end that [spoiler]the mastermind behind the murders was actually that anti-Church guy?[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:55 pm 
I wouldn't know. I'm not going to buy the thing and support the author if he is in fact going around and being a jackass. Since someone will doubtless point out the absurdity of railing against a book that I have not yet read, I promise to do so once I can either get it from a friend of mine or the school library. From what I have heard thus far, I am not very favorably disposed towards him though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:05 am 
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/18/da.vinci/index.html
Definitely not censorship.
Quote:
The Chinese church accused the film of "violating religious ethics and morals and insulting the feelings of clergy and followers,"

But I think we need a new word for whatever this is.

BTW, I don't find this to be a threat to freedom or civil liberty or anything scary, I find it hilarious and an affirmation of what I've always laughed at religions for.