The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long Live the Pope?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:58 pm 
I figured it would be an appropriate companion title...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4462077.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:10 am 
http://slate.msn.com/id/2117019/
Quote:
The second question was whether the church would soon take the step of allowing artificial contraceptives—as it came close to doing in the mid-1960s, before Humanae Vitae. The encyclical reaffirmed ultraconservative sexual morality and reversed a trend toward collegiality in church government. Today, condoms have helped to slow the spread of AIDS in Brazil and elsewhere. But in Africa, where the AIDS crisis is worst, the church is identified more than ever with the most adamant opposition to the condom and church governance remains tightly centralized. The election of Joseph Ratzinger announces that the status quo will remain unchanged.

Last edited by Pronto on Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:14 am 
Notice I only said the Pope would be long-lived... I didn't mention anything about the Catholics in developing nations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:01 pm 
I reckon Pope Benedict XVI will be a radical, unlike all his previous history. I think he could be a deep-cover agent; a radical who has faked conservatism to curry favour with John Paul II (who was a radical until shortly after his election) and get ahead in the church. Now he is able to show his true colours. I hope he doesn't get poisoned like John Paul I though, that would mean another false start on the road to reform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:16 pm 
GrassyNoel wrote:
I reckon Pope Benedict XVI will be a radical, unlike all his previous history. I think he could be a deep-cover agent; a radical who has faked conservatism to curry favour with John Paul II (who was a radical until shortly after his election) and get ahead in the church. Now he is able to show his true colours. I hope he doesn't get poisoned like John Paul I though, that would mean another false start on the road to reform.

So you're suggesting that everything he has done so far in his life was a sham... to get elected, I assume.
You're suggesting that he's just another politician?
What indicators are you basing this 'reckoning' on? Gut feeling? Wishful thinking?
What facts are you using to conclude that JPI was poisoned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:09 pm 
He's been conservative since '68. And as a teacher, I reckon getting shit from your students is a good reason to change your political views.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:16 pm 
Anh Minh wrote:
He's been conservative since '68. And as a teacher, I reckon getting shit from your students is a good reason to change your political views.

It turned me from a liberal-leaning libretarian to a borderline fascist with a strong belief in eugenics as a viable means of improving society.