The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Muslims in Space
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:50 am 
Recently, in some of my "dear Gods, when will this bus ride end" trains of thought (inspired by my inability to nap because some asshole is taking up several seats with his stanky self), I had thoughts about the evolution of Islam as it moves into outer space. Now, I figure that, somewhere, some serious Muslims must have discussed these questions, so I wanted to know if anyone knew the answers, or could at least point towards them.

Please realize that, while these questions sound impertinent, they're sincerely meant.

1) How does one handle the Call to Prayer in Earth orbit, given the frequency of sunrise? In a micro-gravity environment, how do you kneel on the floor and orient yourself towards Mecca? How would the fasting during Ramadan be handled?

2) As humanity progesses into the future and sends out colonization slowships, or even interplanetary flight, how will Ramadan, especially, be managed in a system where there is no natural sunrise or sunset?

3) Assuming we overcome the technical difficulties and achieve near-light travel, how does one handle Ramadan at near-light speeds when, theorhetically, an entire month in realspace could pass while those travelling at a significant fraction of c would have experienced only a few minutes, hours, or days?

I'm sure others can see similar problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:54 pm 
All of your current questions have been addressed in the original thread.

The topic's been good so far, have you got some more interesting bits to discuss?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:45 am 
Not particularly, but I was hoping there were some who didn't frequent Schlock forums (FOR SHAME) who wanted to chime in.