The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:53 pm 
It is that time of year when secular and religious holidays tend to overlap. Some people give a big fuss over whether or not to say Merry Christmas, especially here in the US. Personally, I will be celebrating a secular Christmas, and a religious Yule. To me Happy Holidays is a better greeting to give than any more specific one, because of the holidays I celebrate and to be polite to the collection of holidays others celebrate as well. I want to know what others think, and why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:02 pm 
Me? I'd just say merry Christmas, unless I was talking to someone who was a particularly devout member of a religion other than Christianity. I just don't see either "merry Christmas" or "happy holydays" as offensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:52 pm 
Christmas hasn't been a religious holiday in the US for decades. Christmas is a commercial holiday where from disparate religions and all parts of the country get together in a month-long worship of O' Mighty Dolla. The worship is most focused in specially-designed temples to O' Mighty Dolla, called 'shopping malls'.

To somebody I haven't met, I usually smile and say whatever greeting first comes to mind, be it "Happy Holidays", "Merry Christmas", "Seasons' Greetings", or just "Hello." From my perspective, the terms are all basically equivalent, and I treat them interchangably.

To a friend, I'll take the time to learn their preference, and generally use that as a sign of respect, provided they have a valid reason to prefer one over the other.

To somebody who gets annoyed at the use of a term, and feels entitled to do so at my expense, I'll use the term at every opportunity. It is not my fault that you have chosen to become offended at something, nor is it my responibility to satisfy your sense of entitlement by adhering to your world-view. If you choose to become offended every time somebody says "Merry Christmas" to you, then don't be surprised if I say "Merry Christmas" every time I see you, in order to point out the absurdity of your irritation.

If, instead, when a stranger smiles at you and says "Merry Christmas", you have the ability, whether you believe in the divinity of Christ or not, to simply smile and return what was meant as a warm-hearted greeting, you will make it through the commercial holiday season a much happier person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:56 pm 
Official Village Idiot

Wish me well for Christmas, Hannukkah, Kwanzaa, Tet, <a href="http://www.agnostica.com">Agnostica</a>, the solstice, Isaac Newton's birthday (or even Jimmy Buffett's), whatever. Hey, any excuse for a party, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:25 pm 
I just want Pi to know that I am greatly offended if people greet me by giving me money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:18 am 
Dude, wtf is Pi paying you for? Ewwww!

And on another note. If it's meant in good cheer, any religious or nonreligious greeting is fine by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:38 pm 
Anh Minh wrote:
I just want Pi to know that I am greatly offended if people greet me by giving me money.

I can tell you've never worked retail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:42 pm 
Might make you laugh, might make you cry. I laughed.