The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Synthetic gods
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:34 pm 
Wether or not God/gods actually exists, it is easy enough to see why people everywhere would want to believe so: In addition to the human need for the spiritual and fantastic (which C.S.Lewis claimed was in itself a good indication that there was something spiritual to thirst after, but that's debatable at best), who doesn't want to believe the universe has a happy-ending mechanism? Who doesn't want to believe that there's someone in charge of the whole reafing mess, and that the someone in question knows what he's doing?
Unfortunately, it is entirely possible, maybe even likely that it's a pipe dream. To this date, God's existence remains debatable at best - IMO, a mere wild guess.
Which brings us to the following idea: If it is desirable to have an omnipotent, omniscient, entirely benevolent entity around...And as far as we know, there's none...Should we make one?
Let us put aside for a moment the question of feasability. Suppose we had a surefire way of creating such an entity. Would it be a good idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:09 pm 
I'm not too keen on omniscient, omnipresent beings. I kinda enjoy my privacy.

Post subject: Re: Synthetic gods
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:44 pm 
sun tzu wrote:
Suppose we had a surefire way of creating such an entity. Would it be a good idea?

Sure. As long as he would do anything I told him to.

Muahahahahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:12 am 
If we had the power to make gods, we would probably have it in us to be gods as well, and wouldn't need external ones.

Post subject: Re: Synthetic gods
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:15 am 
sun tzu wrote:
Which brings us to the following idea: If it is desirable to have an omnipotent, omniscient, entirely benevolent entity around...And as far as we know, there's none...Should we make one?

Hey, it worked for me fnord.

OK, so I didn't personally invent either Eris or Finagle fnord, but I did make up my own sect which combined them in a new and deeply fnord disturbing way. That has to count fnord for something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:20 am 
The General wrote:
If we had the power to make gods, we would probably have it in us to be gods as well, and wouldn't need external ones.

Voltaire would have loved you.

DOG MA I: The only God you need is the one in your mirror fnord.