The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:14 am 
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2003/08/03/152994-cp.html

When a narrow group sets itself up as the final decider of morals, hypocrisy is inevitable, amongst other evils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:35 am 
The Irony of Church Authority:

A significant portion of the Gospel depicts Christ pointing out how the religious leaders of the day were hypocrites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:40 am 
Gerald wrote:
The Irony of Church Authority:

A significant portion of the Gospel depicts Christ pointing out how the religious leaders of the day were hypocrites.

Thats why I like him (if he existed (which I hope he did)). He spoke against the modern realigious leaders when he knew they were wrong or were otherwise saying what they did for their own popularity, and I'm sure he probaly said a lot of other significant things that were unfortunitly lost in the sea of greedy power the catholic curch leaders had a while back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:44 am 
Anything that can be a means to power will eventually become corrupted, if not constantly and carefully guarded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:40 pm 
This simply proves that all modern religions have been bastardized from their original method of worship and teaching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:59 pm 
Skylancer wrote:
This simply proves that all modern religions have been bastardized from their original method of worship and teaching.

Sad really. Many of the critisised ones could have been really good earlier on. Heck, some of the good ones now could have roots from really terrible beliefs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:06 pm 
Luna Lovegood wrote:
Heck, some of the good ones now could have roots from really terrible beliefs

Take scientology, whose core belief is that everyone's really a set of spirits that were stuck into a big volcano millions of years ago and bombarded with nukes while being forced to watch bad movies.

Conversely, Judeo-Christo-Islam (I like that term) started out supposedly by interference from the deity himself. The three of 'em have tried to blow each other away so many times, I've lost count.

Just goes to show that any crackpot can start a religion, and any religion can go crackpot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:25 pm 
Foxeryn wrote:
Just goes to show that any crackpot can start a religion, and any religion can go crackpot.

Hey, I like that! Mind if I use it as a sig?

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:32 pm 
No, the three religions have not repeatedly tried to blow each other up. certain people among those religions have repeatedly tried to blow each other up. Quite a difference there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:45 pm 
Luna Lovegood wrote:
Skylancer wrote:

Sad really. Many of the critisised ones could have been really good earlier on. Heck, some of the good ones now could have roots from really terrible beliefs

So just join a new one. Wicca and other neo-paganisms are pretty cool. Or you could just follow after me and make your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:54 pm 
The General wrote:
Luna Lovegood wrote:
Skylancer wrote:

So just join a new one. Wicca and other neo-paganisms are pretty cool. Or you could just follow after me and make your own.

Of course, one prerequisite to founding a new religion is to come up with a new spelling for "magic" and insist that it's the only way to spell it.

Last edited by gwalla on Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:57 pm 
If you make your own religion, are you prepared to accept that your creation will make you turn over in your grave?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:36 pm 
The General wrote:
So just join a new one. Wicca and other neo-paganisms are pretty cool.

That's all well and good, but they really get on my nerves when they claim that their "traditions" are thousands of years old. :roll:

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:38 pm 
Most of them are. They're just meshed together in a way that was never intended by any of the original religions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:48 pm 
Barnabas Truman wrote:
Foxeryn wrote:

Hey, I like that! Mind if I use it as a sig?

-=-Barnabas

Go ahead, take it and run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:44 pm 
Barnabas Truman wrote:
The General wrote:
So just join a new one. Wicca and other neo-paganisms are pretty cool.

That's all well and good, but they really get on my nerves when they claim that their "traditions" are thousands of years old. :roll:

-=-Barnabas

I know a few pagans. One time we were having this religious discussion during lunch, and one of my pagan friends started talking about what bugged her about chirstianity. She's a good friend and I know she would never insult me because of my beleifs, but some of what she said just urked me. She seemed to make a lot of accusations about christians and the bible when it seemd slightly obvious that she didn't really know much about each. She also seemed to compare pagan and christian beleifs and made it sound like pagan was this so much better religion. That bugged me, I hate it when people act like their beleifs are much better than others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:52 pm 
Luna Lovegood wrote:
I hate it when people act like their beleifs are much better than others.

Welcome to reality...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:19 pm 
I know quite a few neo-pagans and Wiccans myself, and while they're some of the nicest people I know, the claim that their beliefs are ancient traditions still bugs me. If I remember correctly, Wicca is largely based on the writings of a few neo-pagans from the early 1900's. Neo-paganism (a lot of it, anyway) seems to basically be a hodge-podge of misunderstood ancient deities from various religions, thrown together and all mixed up. A religious chop suey, if you will. :wink:

The one exception I've found to this is Asatru, which is based on Norse mythology (yeah, yeah, Gerald, I know I may be a wee bit biased in regards to this) and seems to be sturdily based on actual ancient writings.

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:15 pm 
Pretty much all of the things pagans do are based on some ancient tradition or ritual, it's just been mixed up so badly it's no longer identifiable as one singular religion.
But I guess every religion has its downsides. Eclecticism isn't that bad of one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:21 pm 
Barnabas Truman wrote:
The one exception I've found to this is Asatru, which is based on Norse mythology (yeah, yeah, Gerald, I know I may be a wee bit biased in regards to this) and seems to be sturdily based on actual ancient writings.

Hey, I like Norse far more than the Greco-Roman tradition.

But yeah, I think there's a bias :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:40 pm 
I like me. I like my beliefs. I like the fact that they are mine, and if anyone shares them...good for them. If not, good for them too =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:55 pm 
The General wrote:
Pretty much all of the things pagans do are based on some ancient tradition or ritual, it's just been mixed up so badly it's no longer identifiable as one singular religion.
But I guess every religion has its downsides. Eclecticism isn't that bad of one.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with neo-paganism. In fact I like it a good deal than I like most other modern religions. I just tend to be easily annoyed by major historical misconceptions, pagan or otherwise.

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:19 pm 
What can I say? Stupidity is the most popular of human characteristics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:21 pm 
Stupidity happens to be the first Satanic Sin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:27 pm 
Barnabas Truman wrote:
I know quite a few neo-pagans and Wiccans myself, and while they're some of the nicest people I know, the claim that their beliefs are ancient traditions still bugs me. If I remember correctly, Wicca is largely based on the writings of a few neo-pagans from the early 1900's. Neo-paganism (a lot of it, anyway) seems to basically be a hodge-podge of misunderstood ancient deities from various religions, thrown together and all mixed up. A religious chop suey, if you will. :wink:

The part that gets my goat is when Wiccans gripe that the "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" thing was put in there to oppress Wiccans. I want to shake them and shout "Wicca didn't even eist when that was written! AAAAARGH!"

Quote:

I think Odinism is currently the big thing among Scandinavian "black metal" bands. Worshipping Satan is just so passé.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:11 am 
gwalla wrote:
The part that gets my goat is when Wiccans gripe that the "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" thing was put in there to oppress Wiccans. I want to shake them and shout "Wicca didn't even eist when that was written! AAAAARGH!"

If my sources are accurate, that bit was put in by King James's translators at his request, and the intention was that it would be used to oppress witches. However, back then, "witch" did not mean "practitioner of the religion known as Wicca;" instead, "witch" meant "harmless old lady that we want to oppress for some reason, and we need an excuse"... need I mention that another thing that bugs me about many Wiccans is their insistence that they be called "witches," and their attitude that any insulting portrayal of witches in the media is clearly a deliberate personal attack towards them?

gwalla wrote:
I think Odinism is currently the big thing among Scandinavian "black metal" bands. Worshipping Satan is just so passé.

I am none too fond of black metal bands or white supremacist groups to begin with, and any black metal band or white supremacist group that claims to have the Norse gods on their side has truly earned my everlasting hatred. In all my studies of Norse mythology, I've never seen anything that even remotely justifies either black metal or white supremacy. Bastards. :mad:

Asatru biker gangs are a different story. :D

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:09 am 
Actually, the original translation was "Thou shalt not suffer an apothecary to live."

Witch didn't enter the picture til King James went nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:34 am 
OT: what does the bible have against apothecaries?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:46 am 
I don't know, what does it have against meat on fridays?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:58 pm 
Where did that come from? No-meat on fridays? Never heard of that...
Besides, I think apothecaries were looked upon with distrust...poisoners, black-magic, etc.