The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:30 pm 
There was a meeting of minds. They used a small room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:10 am 
jeremiahsmith wrote:
Anon wrote:
Rebuilding temporarily boosts the local economy.

I can't believe you just said that.

In any case, he never said that Chick Tracts themselves led to the things he mentioned. He said that the religious zealotry that Chick Tracts inspire is the same zealotry responsible for such things.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Jer. Took the words right out of my mouth. Er, keyboard.

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:37 am 
Official Village Idiot

You knwo, even when he's being parodied, Jack Chick still pisses me off. To me, he represents the dark side of Free Speech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:41 am 
jeremiahsmith wrote:
Pronto wrote:
Why not? He was all for solving Iraqs problem with a nuke.

I thought that was ShadowDipshit8586...?

No, Shadow wanted to solve the whole Middle East problem with several nukes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:06 am 
Anon wrote:
Barnabas Truman wrote:

Perhaps, but people who lose money to the Nigerian Internet Scam don't follow up by [extremist hypothetical examples]bombing abortion clinics,

Rebuilding temporarily boosts the local economy.

I hope you didn't say that seriously.

Quote:
No, that would be the Koran

[atheist's POV]Big, huge, freakin' difference. [/atheist's POV]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:08 am 
Incidentally...What part of Chick tracts is wrong? Is it the method (distributing those comic-format religious tracts everywhere), or is it just the content? Because if it's the latter, I know I'd be perfectly willing to distribute tracts explaining what I believe in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:52 pm 
Vorpal Bunny Slipper
Vorpal Bunny Slipper

It's the content. Hatred, bigotry, idiocy, the occasional outright lie...

Those so inclined can go to http://www.chick.com

This link wrote:
Jack Chick writes Christian comic books. "So what?", you say. Dear Reader, you are obviously not familiar with what lurks in the lowest reaches of the American religion. I first encountered Chick's work as an undergraduate at Berkeley --- someone had been passing them out on the main campus square, and one of them found its way to the physics society. This classic was entitled Big Daddy? and the cover was graced by a grinning chimpanzee eating a banana. It told the story of the conflict between a born-again Christian high school student (who looked like a Hitler Youth recruiting poster) and his science teacher (who looked, not to put too fine a point on it, remarkably "Jewish"). The science teacher attempted to indoctrinate his class with the vile doctrines of secular humanism, an old earth and evolution: but the stalwart young man stood firm, secure in his God and his faith, and finally confuted him with the nucleus of the atom. Here, he said, were all these protons, of like charge, bound together: but don't like charges repel? What holds them together? The teacher is bereft, sweating, without answer. The youth triumphantly says, "Our Lord, Jesus Christ," and cites an epistle to the Colossians. The class is converted; I forget what happens to the teacher [he got the sack -JF]. Most of us were taking nuclear physics at the time...

[Some explanation may be necessary here. The forces holding atoms together are not familiar from everyday experience, but they are very well understood by nuclear physicists, thanks to decades of scientific experiments. Saying that "Jesus holds atoms together" is as hilariously ignorant as claiming that planets travel in ellipses because angels are pushing them around. -JF]

Mr. Chick has been turning out this stuff since the '60s, and beneath the intense ignorance, anti-Catholicism, creationism, blood and gore, homophobia, sadistic fantasies about Hell, paranoid fantasies about Satanism, drugs and the apocalypse, and vicious resentment of others' prosperity (the only thing missing is explicit anti- semitism) --- or perhaps, because of all that --- there's a great deal of unintentional humor. It's an acquired taste, I admit.

Mit Beton gießt du es aus, das Fundament vom Knochenhaus.
Scharr, scharr, verscharr das Gebein, da ist noch Platz, da paßt noch wer rein.
Hier tobte sich der Teufel aus, unten im Keller im Knochenhaus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:49 pm 
sun tzu wrote:
I hope you didn't say that seriously.

Well, it is definately true, but then truth is no guarantee of seriousness. I prefer to leave this sort of thing ambiguous.
sun tzu wrote:
Quote:
No, that would be the Koran

[atheist's POV]Big, huge, freakin' difference. [/atheist's POV]

Yeah, those angry methodists are always flying planes into buildings, ilicitly creating nuclear weapons with the intent to use them, and blowing up Isreali busses.

The difference is like the differencd between the Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf. It's possible to be a true comunist without being a murderous bastard. It's not possible to be a true Nazi without being a murderous bastard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:42 pm 
Quote:
Yeah, those angry methodists are always flying planes into buildings, ilicitly creating nuclear weapons with the intent to use them, and blowing up Isreali busses.

The difference is like the differencd between the Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf. It's possible to be a true comunist without being a murderous bastard. It's not possible to be a true Nazi without being a murderous bastard.

Are you suggesting that it's impossible to believe in the Koran without being a murderous bastard? Because only yesterday, my parents (both of whom have Israeli nationality) went to dinner at the home of Muslim friends, and came back with all their fingers. I don't like Islam, but even I don't claim all Muslims are murderers - not anymore that I claim all Catholics are would-be inquisitors, or that all Protestants are abortion clinics bombers and Jack Chick pamphleteers, despite my strong dislike of Chrisitanity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:27 pm 
Concur.
My ex-brother-in-law is muslim. He is one of the kindest, gentlest people I've ever met.
OTOH I assisted on the investigation of a christian who thought nothing of blowing up medical facilities.
I am aware that these are just two isolated personal experiences, but its hard to ignore them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:31 pm 
Yeah. Christianity, Islam and communism all have believers who are okay, and believers who are nuts.
All Nazis are nuts, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:15 pm 
gwalla wrote:
Luna Lovegood wrote:
The General wrote:
gwalla wrote:
Luna Lovegood wrote:
I do miss those wafers though.

Mmm...the great taste of the flesh of Christ! ;)

Dane Cook: "Lord's a little stale today. You might want to check the date on that Lord."

Or as Jack Chick claims, the "cookie god" :roll:

Now that's the sort of god I can worship!

I could just here is not:
Jack Chick: "Kids, the catholics are devieving you with their cookie god!"
Kid: "Theres a cookie god?!"
other kid: "Does he come in chocolate chip?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:19 pm 
sun tzu wrote:
Incidentally...What part of Chick tracts is wrong? Is it the method (distributing those comic-format religious tracts everywhere), or is it just the content? Because if it's the latter, I know I'd be perfectly willing to distribute tracts explaining what I believe in...

Nothings really wrong with them. I defiently don't agree with a lot of them, but I do understand Jack Chick's perpose. I don't hate them myself, and one of them is just down right cute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:28 pm 
I just have one question about the tracks. What's with the angry cats and dogs? They all look like they have rabies of something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:35 pm 
I miss X-Entertainment's "Chick Comics Theater", where they'd post pieces of Chick Tracts and mock them. They were classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:53 pm 
Luna Lovegood wrote:
sun tzu wrote:

Nothings really wrong with them.

I hope you mean besides the falsehoods and calls to hate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:55 pm 
What's wrong with falsehoods? The media does good business trafficking in falsehoods.

Any Muslim that doesn't hate you is not an apostate. Ask any wahhabi imam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:58 pm 
Vorpal Bunny Slipper
Vorpal Bunny Slipper

Anon, do you hate your parents?

Mit Beton gießt du es aus, das Fundament vom Knochenhaus.
Scharr, scharr, verscharr das Gebein, da ist noch Platz, da paßt noch wer rein.
Hier tobte sich der Teufel aus, unten im Keller im Knochenhaus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:00 am 
Anon wrote:
What's wrong with falsehoods? The media does good business trafficking in falsehoods.

You do a good business trafficking in stereotypes and assumptions. Your point?

Quote:
Any Muslim that doesn't hate you is not an apostate. Ask any wahhabi imam.

You do realize that wahabism is just one sect of Islam, don't you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:34 pm 
Anh Minh wrote:
Luna Lovegood wrote:
sun tzu wrote:

Nothings really wrong with them.

I hope you mean besides the falsehoods and calls to hate.

Well, yes that makes them wrong, for some (after consideration I think they are too, but some people think the messages in them are right. Poor confused people at times.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:58 pm 
What Chick says about Evolution and abiogenesis is so ignorant it's amusing. I think I'll quote the man; he puts it better than I can.

Quote:
Entropy is explained by complex mathematical calculations most of us don't understand, so people tend to exaggerate.

WELL I GUESS THAT DISPROVES EVOLUTION THEN! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:58 am 
Muhuhahaha, I kill you again forum! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:05 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Wap! Him dead, now my burn tree.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:13 am 
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You just imitated a ~3 year old. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:32 pm 
Quote:
What Chick says about Evolution and abiogenesis is so ignorant it's amusing.

Yeah, it's funny in a sick way...But I'd laugh at it a lot more easily if I didn't know that a lot of people actually believe that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:53 am 
What's funny in a sick way is that my ex- um... friend believed this crap, possibly in aliens, and wants a degree in Biology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:07 am 
I assume that when you say he/she believes in aliens, you mean UFOs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:16 pm 
Speaking as someone that belongs to a group with a Chick Tract about (is there anyone that doens't belong to this category? :lol:) I have to reactions to them. First, I am amused by them. If you don't take it too seriously, it's hilarious. Second, I worry that someone will accept what they say about me and mine as true, because it's not. Oh, I suppose we can allow that maybe I'll burn forever because I don't do things his way, but even if he's right about that there are many other things he's wrong about.

Of course, this bothers me about a lot of anti-" " works. It doesn't matter what they are against, almost all of them contain the same type of arrogance/ignorance/etc as Chick Tracts. (Although most don't have the same level)

For instance, knowing what Jack and other have written about my religion, how can I trust them on any other. Jehovah's Witnesses may sacrifice chickens for all I know (but I doubt it) but I know I don't. So if they say I do, I'm not gonna take their word for it that the JWs do.

Oh, and I think the "Cookie God" one is about the most hilarious of them all. mmmmm, cookie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:51 pm 
I don't know. Jesus doesn't make a very good cookie.

Last edited by Anh Minh on Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:08 am 
Anh Minh wrote:
I don't know. Jesus doesn't a very good cookie.

Do you mean Jesus isn't a very good cookie? You crammer confuses me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next