The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:49 am 
The long and short of it? Those little crackers they give out on Sunday taste bad. :)

As for this friend of mine, she believed that UFOs are extraterrestrial in origin. Sorry for being a bit ambiguous. I can forgive her that... she sucked for a whole 'nother host of reasons. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:20 am 
Luna: sorry, forgot a word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:45 pm 
Luna Lovegood wrote:
Madcat wrote:
Oh, all three. It depends on who's reading. They piss me off. They convert some of my friends, and that scares me. :)

I think the fear might be one of the factors that helps convert. Fear helped the catholic church in the past, no reason why it can't help a bunch of cheaply made cartoons.

They're actually well drawn. Assuming this guy has a family and a day job four a year is probably doing pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:17 pm 
Vorpal Bunny Slipper
Vorpal Bunny Slipper

BBlalock wrote:
They're actually well drawn. Assuming this guy has a family and a day job four a year is probably doing pretty good.

A) According to a biography at chick.com, Chick has no kids and his wife died in '98.

B) I'm pretty sure this IS his day job.

Mit Beton gießt du es aus, das Fundament vom Knochenhaus.
Scharr, scharr, verscharr das Gebein, da ist noch Platz, da paßt noch wer rein.
Hier tobte sich der Teufel aus, unten im Keller im Knochenhaus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:54 pm 
Quote:
I'm pretty sure this IS his day job

How does it earn him money? Does he charge people for copies of the tracts that they can distribute or something like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:35 pm 
Vorpal Bunny Slipper
Vorpal Bunny Slipper

sun tzu wrote:
Quote:

How does it earn him money? Does he charge people for copies of the tracts that they can distribute or something like that?

You order the tracts from Chick Publications, which costs money :D

He also has some non-tract products. Just look at the sidebar at the main page: books, DVDs, videos, posters...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:44 pm 
sun tzu wrote:
Quote:

Yep. You can order 'em from his website in bulk. He also publishes books on the evils of everything from Darwinism to Islam to Harry Potter.

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:40 am 
Harry Potter in particular? That's funny. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:37 pm 
BBlalock wrote:
Luna Lovegood wrote:
Madcat wrote:
Oh, all three. It depends on who's reading. They piss me off. They convert some of my friends, and that scares me. :)

I think the fear might be one of the factors that helps convert. Fear helped the catholic church in the past, no reason why it can't help a bunch of cheaply made cartoons.

Well I admit, they are not all that bad. Hell, they are probably a lot better than anything I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:41 pm 
Madcat wrote:
Harry Potter in particular? That's funny. :D

Oh yeagh, he has this DVD out (he didn't make it, his just sells it) made by this woman, I forget her name. Talking about the Evils of Harry Potter. Forget about all the false facts about the book and you still have the misinterpretations (sp?) of every line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:24 am 
By the way Luna, did you draw your avatar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:41 am 
Vorpal Bunny Slipper
Vorpal Bunny Slipper

It's from Harry Potter 5... it's a picture of the character she's usernamed after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:12 pm 
Madcat wrote:
By the way Luna, did you draw your avatar?

Hell no, I couldn't draw if my life depended on it. This is one of the pictures at the beginning of one of the chapters of the fifth Harry Potter book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 pm 
Y'know, I've only read the first two books in the series, so I'd never read the name nor seen the character before, but the first time I saw your username and avatar, somehow I knew it had to be a Harry Potter reference.

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:20 pm 
Barnabas Truman wrote:
Y'know, I've only read the first two books in the series, so I'd never read the name nor seen the character before, but the first time I saw your username and avatar, somehow I knew it had to be a Harry Potter reference.

-=-Barnabas

Heh, yeah. The name first apeeared in the fifth book so anything before that wouldn't really tell anything about the character. Though the last name was mentioned in the fourth book once.

A lot of the names in the series are pretty strange (or atleast they seem that way to me), so that might help too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:25 pm 
The Master is at it again, and his new work is as freaky as ever.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1051/1051_01.asp

Some thoughts:

Strangely, I don't think I've ever heard a "Darwinist" in real life say that one species "came from" another, or mention "absolutely overwhelming" scientific evidence without actually citing any, or offer threats instead of logical debate when criticized by a disbeliever, or speak of dinosaurs as having "disappeared" due to a giant comet and then immediately afterwards claim that birds "came from" them.

Ms. Henn is scary. Li'l Susy is much scarier.

I don't recall any mention whatsoever of the theory of evolution in public school (California) before high school biology class, except for a very brief mention towards the beginning of a junior high class in ancient world history. Where the heck is Susy going to school?

I don't see why people "won't pay attention to what God says" if they believe that "we come from apes." Why would acceptance of the theory of evolution be inconsistent with faith in the saving grace of Christ? How do the two ideas have anything to do with each other?

There seems to be a good deal of "age-ism" in this tract (presumably because it's targetted at very young readers). Ms. Henn seems to be mean not only because she's a Darwinist, but also because she's old. There are also several references to the "old" Devil, who tries to keep kids out of heaven. Rather interesting, especially since Mr. Chick is getting up there in the years himself.

Gah, li'l Susy is scary!!!

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:33 pm 
Hm, here's another one about Li'l Suzy:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1050/1050_01.asp

Interesting. In this one she says that no liar will enter heaven. So what if I live a righteous life, and have faith in Christ, but right before I die, I say "I will not enter heaven."

If God lets me into heaven, then my last words were a lie, so a liar has entered heaven. But if I am barred from heaven, then my last words were true, which means I should be allowed into heaven. What's up with that, huh?

Or would I automatically be cast into the lake of fire for daring to create a scriptural paradox?

-=-Barnabas

[Edit: More age-ism in this one, too: "I hate that old devil!"]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:22 pm 
Those words would be an error, Barnabas, not a lie. And it would be very prideful to just assume you were going to heaven the way Susie does. You wouldn't want to wind up like li'l Susie would you? All pithed and possessed looking? If she's her grandpa's sister is she her grandaunt too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:10 pm 
Oh yeah, Susy can be pretty freaky at times, very interesting teacher she's go there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:15 am 
Hey, I actually saw the Chick Publications office (just passing by; I didn't have time to go in) the other day when I was visiting my parents in southern California! It's just a few blocks away from the office complex where my dad used to work. A little storefront with a rather modest sign saying "Chick Publications" above it.

Anyway. Just wanted to let y'all know I've been there. :D

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:47 am 
Vorpal Bunny Slipper
Vorpal Bunny Slipper

Barnabas Truman wrote:

UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:59 am 
Meet Jack's hipper grandkid. :roll:

www.TheTruthForYouth.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:27 pm 
IS_Wolf wrote:

www.TheTruthForYouth.com

The guy needs a clue on some things, but to his credit, he's nowhere near as sick as Chick. At least I haven't seen him claiming that there's a worldwide satanic conspiracy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:40 pm 
sun tzu wrote:
IS_Wolf wrote:

www.TheTruthForYouth.com

The guy needs a clue on some things, but to his credit, he's nowhere near as sick as Chick. At least I haven't seen him claiming that there's a worldwide satanic conspiracy...

Give it time. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:06 pm 
"As Sick As Chick" would make a good name for a band.

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:24 pm 
jeremiahsmith wrote:
Barnabas Truman wrote:

UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN!

Not anymore; I just took a shower. :P

-=-Barnabas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:33 pm 
Barnabas Truman wrote:
jeremiahsmith wrote:
Barnabas Truman wrote:

UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN!

Not anymore; I just took a shower. :P

-=-Barnabas

Showers don't help, only steel wool and hydrochloric acid do. :wink: :P :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:05 am 
Even though both of them are mainly the same, but I think Jack actually has more to argue with in his comics than the Truth for Youth tones. Just try looking at some of the comic on harry potter, over all not a very good argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:03 pm 
BBlalock wrote:
Luna Lovegood wrote:
Madcat wrote:

The ones that are well drawn are done by a minister named Fred Carter (that is to say, the artwork. Content is still supplied by Chick , I believe).
Also, if anyone is interested, there is a host of Jack Chick trivia at this location: http://members.aol.com/monsterwax/chick.html
(My apologies if someone has already linked to this, I have commited the sin of not reading through all the posts first.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:09 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

That's a cool site. It just ate an hour of my time.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next