The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:08 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Okay, so this is the very first fic I posted on the IW forum. I will be posting up to two parts of this per day until it's done, then, I'll move on to the next one.

Boo.

Yah.

All legalese applies...DW is a kind a benevolent God among mortalsyadddayaada...

Grab your nearest longnecked friend and enjoy...

C&C (Comments and Criticism) always welcome...You can post it here, send me a PM, or an email...

Flames will be filed in the round folder...

Nothing is What it SEMMEs
By
Joshua Trujillo

Part 1

"What is this?"

Carl Martin looked at the paper that had been thrust onto his morning paper.

"It looks like a letter." He picked it up and began to read, "To: Special Agent Humner, from DoHS; CIA director Lakeland. You are to report in from your current assignment to be reassigned-"

Teri Humner ripped the paper out of his hands.

"I know what is says..." she huffed. "I want to know what the hell this means. I was in the middle of the Martinez bust and now this shit?"

Martin snorted and shrugged his shoulders. He stroked the red silk of his tie and pulled absently at the lapels on his Armani.

"Miss Humner," he raised his manicured voice, "You will refrain from speaking to your superior in this tone. It's quite apparent to me that this promotion will be a good-"

"Promotion!?"

"-Will be good for you. You will report to the Oversight Committee's Director Hoover for assignment." He sighed and smiled a sickly sweet smile at her, "And, Miss Humner, if you fuck up so much as once, I'll personally make sure you never get higher than secretary ever again. You're dismissed."

Teri took a deep breath and blew it out noisily.

"That's it?" She asked.

"That's it."

Teri folded her arms across her chest and thought for a moment. She leaned forward, resting her fists on the edge of his desk and noticed that a line of sweat had formed on his upper lip. She snarled slightly and slammed her fist down on the desk. He jumped, but said nothing. Teri turned and stalked out, slamming the door behind her.

A minute passed.

"She hurt my head."

"Did I say you could stop?"

"...nosir..."

"Miss Smith, you must be more diligent if you want to get anywhere in the world."

"Yessir."

"As the saying goes, to get ahead, you have to give a little..."

Linda Walkerton looked up from the formal stack of papers that the DoD, DoHS, and several dozen other government agencies had dumped on her desk. It seemed like the couriers never stopped nowadays and much of it wore on her patience. And then there was the city of Denver. It currently had over a hundred lawsuits in all the courts in Denver trying to recoup the damages from the Head Alien's latest escapade. And then there was-And then there was-And then...It never ended. She wondered how Anthony held it all together for so many years, but reminded herself that he never had to worry about SEMME's public view. It never had a public view before. She picked up the latest batch of papers. Requests for releases under the Freedom of Information Act. Kooks. UFO kooks. Thought that aliens were something other than short, purple-suited and slightly, ominously goofy.

She turned and looked at her computer screen. Jason Chesterfield. AWOL. Sal Walters. Kidnapped. From all reports kidnapped by Jason. And, as hard as that was for Linda to believe, there were several eyewitnesses that saw the two leave under much duress. Linda had her own ideas about what went on, but until either one of them contacted her, her ideas would have to remain speculation. She just hoped that they would contact her before they got in over their heads...

She missed her daughter.

She sighed as she picked up the paper that had just come across her desk. And then there was this. It came along with the woman standing on the other side of her desk, trying not to look too pissed about being there. Linda guessed Teri Humner hadn't exactly volunteered for this assignment. From the letter of intent from the Oversight Committee, her guess would be right.

"What, exactly, do you hope to find here, Special Agent Humner?"

"I've not been told to find anything Mrs. Walkerton. My job here is to view everything possible and report back my findings to the Oversight Committee so that SEMME can receive its federal funding."

"Very politic of you," Linda said lightly. "But, seeing as how we've never needed federal funding before, why should we seek anyone's approval now?"

"SEMME no longer operates under the federal black budget, Mrs. Walkerton-"

"Oh please," Linda scoffed. "SEMME has so many patents, trademarks and copyrights that we could go without any kind of funding for the rest of our existence and we'd still turn a profit on it all..."

"Well, yes Mrs. Walkerton," Teri sniffed politely. "And no. You see, since those records were for a black budget agency, those patents and trademarks belong to the federal government. Which means, if you want to continue to get the money from them, you have to be nice and play along."

Linda looked out the window. How had Anthony been so careless? No. It's not right to blame the dead. It was just one more thing that slipped through the cracks.

"Look, Mrs. Walkerton, I'm not here to ruin SEMME." Teri began softly. "I am simply here as an observer. If there's nothing here to hide, then you put on a little dog show for me for the next three weeks and I walk out of here and SEMME goes on."

Linda looked back to Teri. She did have an honest, open face that spoke of being pissed off and pissed on too many times in the past. Perhaps there could be an ally made of this intruder. My enemy of my enemy is my friend. She just had to make sure the whole thing didn't turn into an enema.

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:42 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

On to the next...

All legalese applies...DW is a kind a benevolent God among mortalsyadddayaada...

C&C (Comments and Criticism) always welcome...You can post it here, send me a PM, or an email...

Part 2

The man named Mike opened the door, stood aside and folded his arms against his chest. Teri looked down at her luggage and looked back up at him. He raised an eyebrow.

"You're welcome."

Mike turned back toward the elevator and began to walk away.

"Hey," Teri shouted. "Aren't you going to help me get my luggage in here?"

"No."

Teri huffed her bangs out of the way and watched the elevator doors closed.

"Thanks asshole."

She dragged a couple of her bags in, but left her biggest bag in the hall. Her arms hurt. Her legs hurt. That asshole didn't have to bring her up by way of the stairs...At least the room looked clean and smelled nice. The pine scent was a nice touch and reminded her that she was in Colorado. It also reminded her of home. The 'ol Carolina pine smell. She shook her head to clear the memories that threatened. So much that she ran from. So much that she never wanted to remember again. A scratching at the door brought her back around. She opened the door and stared down at the Dalmatian that wagged its tail at her.

"Daniel?" a voice cried from the stairwell down the hall.

Teri smiled at the dog.

"Is that your name? Daniel?"

Daniel barked in response as Teri knelt to him. He just wanted to play. Hmph. Just like the last guy named Danny she knew...

"There you are-oh..."

Teri looked up to the young woman holding the broken leash. A little younger than Teri, ash colored hair and very bright eyes. She smiled and Teri coughed as she looked back down to the dog, who lolled back and forth, happy for the scratch on the neck. Teri stood and tried to swallow her blush as she extended her hand.

"My name is Teri Humner," she said as the girl shook her hand. "I'm sure you've been told about why I'm here, so-"

The other girl shook her head.

"Nope. But then, things have begun to get a little hairy around here."

"Hairy?" Teri asked.

"Yeah-" the girl hesitated. "Teri...Why are you here?"

Teri thought for a moment.

"Perhaps it's best if your boss fills you in as it's kind of complex," Teri stopped again. "Well no, it's not really complex, but telling you could interfere. Sorry."

The girl shrugged and knelt to the dog, who rolled over. Teri knelt too and scratched Daniel's tummy. The girl tied the end of the leash around Daniel's collar and the dog jumped up, ready for more walking.

"I'll be around for the next three weeks and this is the apartment that SEMME let me use," Teri explained as they both stood. "I'll see you again...Joyce."

Joyce stopped and blinked a couple times.

"How did you...?"

"The smile," Teri said, grinning herself. "Gave it all away."

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:38 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 3

Linda looked down to the pool area from the viewing window above. The young lady named Teri sat poolside, tapping away on her laptop. It had been two days since she'd arrived at SEMME and, thankfully, little had gone on. Linda smirked as she sipped her coffee. She took Mike moving her in quite a bit better than Linda had expected. She'd met Joyce soon after and the rest of Squad 128 the next day. Linda allowed her to walk through SEMME unattended, mostly because she couldn't get into the areas where she could do damage. She spent today meeting with the other teams in SEMME, but Linda supposed that the best view of the organization was put through her best squad. She also supposed that it said something about SEMME that the best team was Squad 128. Whatever it said, she wouldn't say it out loud, however. Linda had talked with Joyce, who seemed to like Teri well enough., which seemed to be the opinion of Walky as well. Mike had his usual derision, Tony held his thoughts and Joe...Linda pinched the bridge of her nose. There was a knock at the door behind her.

"Doc," Linda turned to him. "How's Joe?"

"The swelling's finally going down, but I think he should stay in bed for another day." Doc consulted his clipboard, "He's also complained of problems swallowing-"

"He'll be okay?"

"Yes."

"Good, we might need him for a mission soon," Linda turned back to the window and the woman below. "Alan thinks he might be targeted now since Sal's gone missing. The Head Alien can't get his hands on Sal, who's next, huh?"

"Do you think he's a target?"

"We're all targets, so long as that little prick is free..."

"Do you think it's wise to let that CIA woman loose around here?" Doc asked quietly. "What if she asks the wrong people the wrong questions?"

"In other words, you're worried that she'd try to find out about the branch? Or about the bodies we have in Section 2?" Linda turned back and raised an eyebrow at him. "And just what do you think she'll do with that information? Provided she believes any of it to begin with...No. She was quite right. We set her up on our more mundane tasks. We let her see that what we do benefits mankind and the community. Meanwhile, she can see what she wants to see. Total cooperation."

Linda sipped her coffee and Doc held his tongue. She was the boss.

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:42 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 4

Teri kept typing, even though she knew she was being watched. Big Boss, as she was known, watched her from the observation room. Teri didn't mind the watching, though she suspected she was being watched from more than just that one angle. She shrugged to herself and typed another entry. Short bios on each of the members of Squad 128. She yawned and stretched. Teri smiled. Yes, the pool would certainly be where she'd spent a lot of her time.

"What'cha' workin' on?"

Teri looked up to the triangle grin. She blushed and looked swiftly back to her laptop.

"Bios," she said quickly. "I'm-I'm doing one for each person in your squad."

Teri felt naked. She practically was naked, sitting there in her skimpy little two piece, with only her laptop covering her. Teri looked beside her to her towel. She'd flung it there after her swim and it was just out of reach. If she grabbed it now, maybe it wouldn't seem-

Movement at her right shoulder cut her line of thought. Joyce leaned over to look at the computer.

"Can I see?" she said softly, her breath sending shivers down Teri's spine.

"Um..."

Joyce reached an arm down and gently stroked the touchpad, taking the document up to the top. She read down, uncovering her own bio and that of her beau, Walky. Teri closed her eyes and tried to calm her heart. She was sure Joyce could hear it beating through her chest. She opened her eyes and Joyce had made her way to one of the other chairs. Teri breathed out.

"You know, you looked a little flushed," Joyce said as she worked on her sweatpants. "You shouldn't work so hard. Take a dip in the pool. It'll cool you off..."

Teri chuckled slightly and turned to Joyce...Just as Joyce decided to pull her sweatpants off...

Joyce jumped as she heard a splash behind her. Teri came up and wiped the water from her eyes.

"Oh yeah..." she huffed out. "You're right...Much better..."

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:43 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 5

"So she kept looking at me all the time I was there..."

"It'd explain a lot."

"Joe! Please?" Walky felt a little exasperated, "It's no wonder she kicked you-"

"She's a muff diver!" he yelled from his seat, an ice-pack still in place.

Joyce shook her head in disgust. Certainly not at the inspector, but at the pig on the sofa with the ice-pack on his crotch. Why did Joe have to boil everything down to interactions between people's legs? Why couldn't he be more like Walky, who at least got to know the woman.

"It's really not a problem," Walky said. "Just stay near me and wash your hands after touch things that she touched."

"Walky, being a homosexual is not a disease," Tony said from the other side of his paper. "Any more than being a goofball is."

"You should wash your hands after touching what Walky's touched anyway..."

Joyce scowled slightly at Mike, who ignored her and sat on the couch next to Joe. Tony lowered his newspaper.

"Look, it's just a difference of opinion," he began, wondering where this conversation would end up. "Joyce, I don't think she's a threat of attacking you or anything. I mean, she's a professional, just like you. She works for the government, just like you."

Tony waved his hand in the air, trying to find more similarities.

"Yeah, they're a couple already," Mike muttered from the sofa.

"Mike, you're not helping," Walky huffed.

"Oo, they are?" Joe brightened. "Can I watch?"

"Besides," Tony continued, "Now that SEMME has come out of the secret organization status, we can also be covered under things like the sexual harassment laws. So, if she asks you out or something, which I highly doubt anyway, just explain that you're straight and I'm sure she'll understand."

Joyce thought for a minute and turned to her boyfriend. He looked sincere and, if she was any judge, slightly worried, but was putting up a face for her benefit. Oddly enough, that face wasn't goofy at all. She sighed and hung her head slightly. She didn't want to come right out and face the other woman. What if she was wrong? What if she was just paranoid...Reading into things more than she should? Worse yet...What if she was right?

Joe continued to grumble to himself.

"...wug muncha'..."

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:44 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 6

Gotta get lost in the reps...Gotta get lost in the reps...

That had been her mantra since she arrived at this stupid place. SEMME. Teri swung once more around the track, heading back to the starting line. She hadn't actually exercised this much since her training in Langley. She walked where she wanted. She saw what she wanted, though she had no doubt that Linda was able to curtail her movements somehow. There was a certain door marked with a biohazard warning. It was called Section two by those she talked to and, she later found out, that most in SEMME couldn't get in there. That news didn't set well with her. What would a black budget agency have to hide from its own agents?

"Gotta get lost in the reps," she quietly breathed as she came to a stop.

Teri bent over and grabbed her knees. What, in all the gods that she never believed in, made her just bust out three laps? She hated running. Of course, she hated working out in general, but it made her feel good out here. Energized...Horny...At the last thought, she coughed slightly and silently thanked Yaweh that there wasn't anyone else up this early. And, as if to laugh at her a little, she heard the chain link on the gate rattle as someone opened it behind her.

"Hmph," a familiar voice said behind her, "And I thought I was the only one dumb enough to run in this weather."

Teri smirked and turned to Joe.

"I didn't think anyone'd be up this early."

"Yeah," he sighed as he set a water bottle on a nearby bench. "Can ya' keep it a secret? Gotta keep this bod in shape and I'm not getting any younger. Care to run with me? I promise to keep my thoughts to myself if you promise not to kick me in the nuts again."

Teri laughed. It felt good to laugh like that, something she hadn't done in a while.

"Sure," she smiled, her arms at her hips. "That is, if your recent impairment will allow you to keep up."

Joe frowned.

"What impairment?"

"Well...It's only been, what? Two days...since..."

Teri waved vaguely at his nether regions. Joe looked down at himself and snickered.

"Didn't you know?" he said, warming up a little. "Abductees heal quicker. Sure, it still hurts like hell, but at least it's not for as long."

"Really?"

"Yup."

He began to jog off. Teri shrugged and smirked. Why the hell not? She felt she could refrain from hurting him...Too badly...She jogged up to his pace and set herself beside him. He grinned slightly and focused on the track. Teri had to admit, it was kind of nice having someone to jog with. Running alone was okay sometimes, especially when you had excess energy to blow off. Like a bad date.

Ugh. When was the last time she had a date? A real date, where the other person made her feel special? That didn't involve a stakeout? Or the imminent threat of death of either herself or her partner? And why the hell was she attracted to Joyce? That didn't make any sense. She wasn't gay.

At least the last time she checked, she wasn't. Joe was a pig. He deserved to get kicked though. And yet - she stole a glance beside her - he was also keeping to his word. His brow was creased with concentration as two laps went past. There was a slight sheen on his head and she knew that she should be wheezing, having pulled through five laps now, but she felt great. Joe slowed as he came to his water bottle.

"Can't keep it up?" Teri teased. "You have a problem with that? I hope it wasn't my fault?"

She barked out a short laugh as he smirked at her. She kept running in place, not wanting to put the skids on just yet. Joe chuckled and turned back to her, wagging his finger.

"Come on..." he said. "You don't tease me, I don't get abused, wasn't that the agreement?"

He reached to his waist and pulled at his sweatshirt.

"I never promised-"

A short, sharp gasp escaped her lips before she could stop it as Joe pulled the sweatshirt over his head. He stopped halfway through at the noise, but continued when he didn't hear anything else. He looked to her as his head came out. A blush carried from the tips of the inspectors' ears, down her arms and, if he were allowed, Joe would suspect it would go considerably further.

"I nev..." she began again, her voice quivering. "I never-I..."

She coughed and turned toward the sun as it rose over the eastern horizon. The golden light played over her smooth face, glinting from the persperation. Joe almost ooe'd, but remembered who it was and held his comment.

"I never promised not to tease you-"

"I thought you liked Joyce?"

Teri almost yelped in surprise. Her thoughts warred with her loins along the span of her synapses, neither one allowed her voice any kind of free reign.

"I'm not..." she stumbled again. "I'm not gay, you know."

"Sorry," Joe lowered his head. "I'm not implying anything. It's just that Joyce-"

"I know what Joyce must've said," she interrupted. "I-I keep wanting to apologize to her because of my actions. Hell, I need to apologize to you both because my actions have been completely unprofessional."

She closed her eyes and curled her fist in anger. It was really an unforgiveable breach on her part. Sure, SEMME was more laid back than, say, your average college English class, but that still didn't mean that she couldn't be-

Her thoughts were interrupted as a shadow came between herself and the rising sun. She opened her eyes. Joe smiled down at her. He was only slightly taller than she, but it seemed like he loomed. His eyes, full of compassion, just stared at her, his smile faint, but friendly. His shoulders fairly bulged...She shook her head.

"It's okay, really..." he said softly, as if he didn't want to be heard by anyone but her. A quiet conversation. "I don't mind you looking. And I'm sure if you talk to Joyce, everything'll work out there too. You're doing the best job you can under these conditions..."

"These conditions are hardly bad, Joe."

He nodded.

"Yeah, okay. I was just thinking of the weirdness that goes on here sometimes."

Those lips held his smile just a little longer than she wanted them to...Longer than she wanted...

"I'm a professional, Joe," she whispered, trying to create distance and failing. "I should be able to control..."

"Sometimes, I have a hard time controlling things."

"Things?" she asked as she stepped closer. "Are they big things?"

She intercepted his answer with her lips.

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:51 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 7

And I've decided to post the rest of this tonight. I got bored. :P

"I have heard some of the reports of her activities," Linda began. "But none of her messages back to Washington indicate the more personal nature of her..."

"Disturbances?" Tony offered.

"Proclivities, I think is the word I wanted," she sighed as she looked around the room. Since Inspector Humner's instances of intimacy involved Squad 128, Linda figured that she'd better get their ideas, and perhaps offer some of her own.

"She's not gay," Joe said flatly.

Joyce smiled weakly and looked at her toes. Mike growled slowly in the corner and Walky sniffed and stared blankly out the window.

"So she's keeping her hormones out of the picture," Mike mumbled. "What's the big deal, then? We'll give her a little nookie and, in exchange, she gives us a good report card."

"Not only is that unethical, Mike, I don't think anyone would volunteer for that assignment - shutupJoe," Linda cut him off. "Unfortunately, I think there's something else going on here. More than, perhaps I'm willing to speculate on right now. Tony, could I ask for your assistance in searching the records for something? As for the rest of you, I'd like you all to keep an eye on her. Make sure she still does what she needs to for her job, but try not to let her out of your sight. You're dismissed."

Joyce watched the door close behind her. She thought that Big Boss probably did know more than she was telling, but again, when was that any different? Walky smiled a goofy smile next to her.

"Walky, I think it's time I go talk to Teri," she said as the elevator doors closed on the rest of the group. "But, can you come with me?"

"Joyce, I think Joe's right. She's not all that gay..."

"No, I know. It's just..."

Walky shrugged as he stared at his shoes.

"Sure, I'll go."

Joyce flashed a quick smile and gave him a quick hug as the elevator doors opened again. It wasn't as if she were scared of Teri. Really, she threw Sal around not too long ago, why should she fear Teri? Still, it made her feel uneasy to remember those looks that Teri had given her that day at the pool. They were so...Hungry...It took little time to cross from the SEMME headquarters to the dorms. Joyce shivered against the cool in the air and was glad for the wash of warm air that blew from within the dormitories. She nodded to the members of Squad 19, once again immersed in their weekly rpg game in the common area. Walky pushed the elevator button and reached to his back pocket. She glanced at him as he pulled out his phone and began to dial.

"Making sure she's there?"

He nodded. The doors opened and they got on, hitting the humber for the guest floor. A frown creased his face as he punched the button on the phone.

"There's no answer."

"I hope she's there," Joyce breathed out. "I don't know if I can get the strength to do this twice."

A moment of silence passed. The doors opened onto her floor and they stepped out.

"It'll be okay," he said softly, "I'm part Martian, just like Sal, remember? I've got enough strength for both of us."

Joyce looked at her boyfriend. Sometimes...There was something there...And while she wanted to see it more often, she was glad for it whenever it did surface. She slipped her hand into his, raised her other hand to Teri Humner's door and knocked.

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:52 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 8

Tears still spilled into the sink, joining the cooling water. The shaking had stopped, but not Teri's anger and fear. She was angry with Joe. That jerk could've stopped himself before they did that. He could've just said no and sure she would have been embarrassed but she could'velivedwiththatembarrassmentand -

Another sob gripped her. It wasn't Joe's fault. He hadn't suggested going back to her room. He hadn't said no, but then, she hadn't given him much of a chance to speak anyway...When she awoke, he was already gone. That was a while ago. How long? She didn't know...Not long enough...

She coughed and looked up to the mirror. Red blotches speckled her face. Red eyes accused her in return as she stared.

How dare you...

"Huh?"

How dare you cavort...

A soft wind blew across her face. It was moist and laced with pine. A lullaby began to ring softly in her ears. Gentle. It rocked her mind, singing soft songs...In an alien voice...Teri sobbed into her hands again, not wanting to hear the songs it sang. The smell of pine washed over her again and she could feel a tiny hand on the back of her head, soothing her into sleep. The other hand was not a hand - was never a hand - it was a claw. A little, purple claw to mock her humanness.

You've always been such a good girl...

"No..." she sobbed. "Get out of my mind."

You're still a good girl, just do what I've taught you.

"No!" Teri growled.

She put her left hand to the mirror. It was almost as if she could feel his mask under her fingers. He had been so large back then and she had been so small. So afraid. So alone. She pounded on the mirror.

"No..."

You can't fight what isn't there. You can't beat me. You can't get rid of me. You must obey me.

"...no..."

Teri could feel his mask there, mocking her, under her left hand. If she could only grab it...

"Honey?" a voice said from her left.

Teri looked up, her eyes wide. Her father stood there, his hands stuffed in his pockets. She gasped at his face. Seeing now, so long after he'd died, how sad he looked and yet somehow guilty. How was he there, in SEMME? Teri looked around, shocked that she wasn't in her apartment in SEMME anymore. It was the bathroom in her father's home. Teri looked down at herself. Overalls smeared in mud and a little bit of pondscum. A frog croaked from the toilet behind her.

"Daddy?" her four year old voice intoned.

"I'm...sorry...honey," he sobbed out and stepped away from the door. "Maybe you'll understand...Someday..."

A pair of aliens came around the corner. Each grabbed one of her arms and began to drag her toward the far door, an unearthly yellow glow spilling into the livingroom from the yard beyond.

"Daddy!" she screamed. "Don't let them take me away! I don't wanna go!"

The aliens were too strong as they dragged her forward. She tried to turn and saw, over her shoulder, another alien, one with a cape, give her father something. It looked like a gun.

"Daddy!" she screamed again. "Help me! Daddy!"

Wait.

It was the other alien, the one with the cape. The two dragging her to the door stopped and waited for him to get in front of her. The claw on his right hand stroked her face lovingly.

I know it's scary, but believe me. You won't miss him.

"No!"

She ripped her left hand free of the alien holding her and lashed out at the caped alien's helmet. He staggered back under the blow with a grunt.

Ow! Damned brat! HOLD her!

Teri growled and lashed out again. A crack appeared in the front of his mask. Her hand hurt, but she didn't care. This was the thing that hurt her and she finally found out that she could hurt him back. She broke free from the other alien and lashed out with all her strength against the caped alien.

A jolt of pain ran through her arm and she jumped, startled at the crashing of shards into the sink. She looked back up. Her face, that of an adult, stared back at her, shaking in the fragments of the mirror that remained. She raised her left hand, shocked at the blood that patted drop by drop into the sink. A quiet, confident, mechanical laughter whispered into her ears. She looked up to the mirror. There he was. The caped alien stared out at her.

I win.

Teri wanted to lash out again, but couldn't raise her bloodied fist as the darkness came.

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:54 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 9

Joyce knocked again. And again, no answer came in return. Joyce looked to her boyfriend. Walky shrugged. Both jumped as a keening scream ripped through the air. Walky, as wide-eyed as Joyce, winced as a heavy thump echoed, sounding nothing so much like a sack of meat hitting concrete.

"Back up!" Walky said as he quickly got in front of the door.

"Walky, wait," Joyce said. She reached down and turned the doorknob. The door swung open and she raced inside.

"Oh sure," he shrugged. "Do it the easy way..."

Joyce gasped. She knelt to the young woman, who had apparently passed out in her bathroom.

"Walky, her hand!"

He nodded.

"Help me get her to the bed," he said as he got under her shoulders. "Then we can call for help."

Teri was light enough that she offered no problem in getting her onto the bed. Walky grimaced and flicked several used condoms to the floor on the other side of the bed. He glanced to Joyce, who was, he thankfully noticed, too busy trying to bandage up Teri.

"I'll get some antiseptic and take care of her hand," Walky said as he stepped into the bathroom. "Get on the phone and get a hold of Professor Doc or Dina or whoever's over there."

"Yeah," Joyce called back. "It looks like she hit her head on something too..."

"Probably the edge of the sink," he said as he noticed the stitch of blood trailing from the porcelain to the tile below.

Joyce glanced up as Walky came back into the room. She dialed the number as she glanced worriedly back to Walky. Teri's hand looked horrible and she hoped that Walky could staunch the bleeding enough for the medics to arrive.

<Research...>

"Professor Doc? This is Joyce," she began quickly. "There's been an accident with the inspector and we needs medics at her apartment immedi-"

A loud gurgling behind her made Joyce turn her head. She stared agog at Teri. She sat up on the bed, her right arm around Walky's neck, her other hand pinning his arm. He tried to say something as his eyes rolled back into his head.

"Walky!" Joyce shouted.

She kicked in her jetpack and flew, fistfirst, at Teri's head. Teri flashed a quick smirk, brought Walky's head up and ducked out of the way. Joyce let out a squeak as her fist connected with her boyfriend's face, knocking him into the wall on the other side of the room. He slid down the wall, out. Joyce pushed herself to her elbows on the bed and yelled again as Teri grabbed her legs from behind, pulling her off the bed. Joyce tried to roll to one side, but Teri grabbed her arm and put a knee against Joyce's shoulder, pinning her down. Teri slammed her left hand onto the back of Joyce's head, making her grunt. Joyce didn't try to move as the lights flashed and popped against her eyes. They cleared slightly and she felt Teri bending to her ear.

"You're working for him," Teri rasped. "You're all working for him! But I know how to beat him. I know what he wants..."

Oh great, Joyce wondered as she tried to push against Teri, Another Sal.

"I like you, Joyce," Teri sounded sorry and lightened her grip. "But this can't be allowed to go on. There are too many...Too many...And you'd try to stop me. And I can't have that."

Joyce felt a hand, slick with blood, clamp onto her neck. The lights began to pulse behind her eyes again and Joyce quickly felt her strength fade. The pounding in her ears increased and Joyce closed her eyes. She wondered if Teri would kill her and, as she faded to unconsciousness, thought that it'd be ironic that, after all the time fighting aliens, it would be another human that would be the death of her.

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:55 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 10

Joe slid to a stop in front of the broken remnants of the door. He reached down and muscled the chunk of bent door aside. He knew being with Teri had been a bad idea, but did he stop? No. She was just so soft and so...willing...And the sex was so good. And he knew it was a mistake, but he did it anyway. Mike and Dina arrived as he stepped into the room. The smell of blood hung in the air, pushing it's way up his nose. A groan came from the other side of the bed and Dina gasped.

"Mike-" Joe turned to him.

"I'm on it," he growled as he punched buttons on his phone.

Dina knelt and helped Joe get Joyce to a sitting position. She coughed again and reached to her throat.

"It..." Joyce gasped. "It was..."

"Try not to talk," Dina said.

"Tony and Big Boss are on their way," Mike said as he knelt behind Dina.

Joe grimaced at the huge bruises that had blossomed on Joyce's neck. He scowled in anger. Anger at Teri for having done this to the one person that would have offered no danger to Teri. Sure, she could fight because she was an abductee and all that, but really, Joyce was not dangerous in the same way that, say, Sal was dangerous. He also was angry with himself for having taken Teri to bed that morning. He could have seen this coming if he'd have kept his eyes open and his dick in his pants. He breathed out.

"Joyce, what happened?" he asked. "Did Teri do this?"

Joyce nodded, choking back tears of her own as she tried to swallow.

"She took..." she began. "She took Walky with her."

"What happened?" Mike asked. "You were having a threesome and then she and Walky wanted some private time or what?"

"Mike, you don't have to be an asshole all the time, you know?" Joe spat at him.

"She wasn't herself," Joyce muttered. "She was acting controlled. Like Sal-kind-of-controlled."

"Joyce may be more right than she knows," Linda said as she stepped over the battered wooden door. "Tony and I found some disturbing information, but there's no time to give everyone a full briefing. Tony and I know where Teri is taking Walky and I think I know what she's here for. Unfortunately, I doubt even she realizes she's here for it..."

"She was a plant?" Joyce whispered.

Linda shook her head.

"No," Linda sighed. "It was all a confluence of stupid accidents..."

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:56 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 11

Another burst of air rushed from his lungs and Walky felt like puking...again. Maybe it wouldn't hurt so much if she quit whacking his head against things. And with things. And on things. Now he knew what a basketball felt like...Teri pulled him to his feet and glared in his face.

"You smell just like him," she breathed at him. "You know that?"

"Him...who?" Walky coughed out.

"Him!" she screamed.

As the pain from the scream subsided, he resolved to keep his mouth shut. It was getting harder and harder not to lash out. To retaliate would be especially bad for Teri since she wasn't an abductee. Her body wouldn't be able to handle it and it'd get messy. That, and his head was spinning. He felt sick and wanted to have a good nap. Maybe then, his head wouldn't feel like the inside of Joe's jock after a trip to Vegas...Walky opened his eyes at a noise. Teri was crying. The top of her head nuzzled Walky's chest almost gently as sobs wracked her body.

"Teri..." he began with his best soothing voice. "If you just stop this, we can sit and ta-"

His words were cut as she rammed her head upwards into his face. Walky grasped at his jaw as the pain lit through his face. He vaguely felt Teri grab the front of his shirt and lift him over head. He slid, headfirst, across the stainless steel floor and met the door at the opposite end. So many things hurt at once, he decided to take a little nap. Perhaps that would ease the pain...

Walky dreamed of his journey with Teri Humner. She had thrown him out the door of her own room, splintering it in the process. That would probably have been where his headache got started. She dragged him out of the dorms, taking out many agents along the way. True, SEMME was a fighting force, but a force against aliens, not humans. The aliens had better tech and sometimes tactics, but none of them were fighting machines trained by the US government. Teri was.

And then it got nasty as Squad 48 came to try to stop her. He came to consciousness in time to see a scene straight out of those Tarantino films that Mike liked. He hoped none of the girls were dead. That'd put a damper on Joe's plans...

When he came to next, they were already in Section 2. He knew he'd been given higher access when he'd been made squad leader, but he guessed that'd change in the future. Aw well, other than Professor Doc, who really needed in here? Then they'd come to the last level of defense, which was a retina scanner, hand scanner and a couple other scanners as well, none of which Walky had access beyond. Teri got frustrated at that point and began to use his back as a battering ram, which was when he started to feel sick. She dragged him back out toward the entrance and then flung him, headfirst, into the door. That hurt. He figured it'd hurt worse if he were actually awake, but...Wait a minute...He felt her pull him to his feet by the back of his shirt.

"You left me to them, you sonvabitch," she hissed. "You never even tried to stop them, even after you knew what they did to me..."

"Teri..." Walky said as he realized he was awake. "I don't know-"

"Even after you knew what they did to me!" she screamed, making his head throb even more. "All for stupid...thing..."

Teri began to sob again and dropped Walky. He sighed out, but tried not to take another nap. He needed to get his head clear and talk Teri down...somehow...

"What did you want down here?" he asked, trying to keep his voice quiet and calm.

Teri knelt next to Walky and gently stroked his hair. Walky almost couldn't feel it against the raging headache skewering his brain, but it struck him as an odd thing. He turned his battered head and looked at her. Teri had closed her eyes and hummed something softly. He didn't recognize the tune, but it sounded like a lullaby.

"Teri?"

She opened her eyes and smiled at him, a motherly smile that made Walky feel warm. Tears streamed freely down her face.

"I'm sorry Walky...I've done something horrible and I'm sorry..."

"You're you again?"

She nodded.

"I thought you were them. The aliens. And then I thought you were my..." she let out a deep breath slowly. "Hell, Walky, I don't know what I thought. I need help."

Walky nodded to himself and pushed himself to a sitting position against the door.

"You've been abducted, haven't you?"

"Walky, you're a mess," she smiled at him again. "Let's get you outta here and...well...I'll turn myself in for whatever punishment..."

She got under his left arm and pulled him slowly to his feet. She stopped as they both looked into the central room. Behind all the doors and security, they could see it hovering in place, bathed in a faint, amber glow. Like a tree branch in beer.

"You know what's funny?" Walky said softly.

"What?"

Walky laughed softly, even against the pain.

"Something that Joyce's been trying to teach me lately..."

"What?"

"No one ever checks the knob."

Walky felt Teri tense under him.

"You know, I would laugh if that struck me as anything but ironic..."

The tone of her voice. The way she pronounced words. Even the mechanical sounds themselves. He'd heard them all before.

"Head alien?"

"Not quite," Teri sneered. "You see, this person is much less than me. But she does have her uses. Like retrieving the Power Booster Rod. That wasn't her original goal, but one does have to improvise sometimes."

Walky's heart fell. Not only for what Teri had been able to put over on him...But for what he knew he would now have to do...

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:57 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 12

"This is a mistake."

"Your interest in their safety has been noted, Mike," Linda sighed. "But I can't go into details as to why it must be Joyce and Joe that go."

"I'm sure you have your reasons," Tony said softly.

"How's your throat?" Linda asked as she turned to Joyce.

"I'll be okay," she looked determined. "She took Walky. And I've gotta get him back."

"Right," Linda said.

"Who gets this, ma'am?" Tony asked, proffering a small, black square of plastic.

"Yeah," Linda shook her head as she took it from Tony and handed it to Joe. "I wish this weren't necessary. It's a tranquilizer gun. One shot. See on the side? The arrow points toward the person and press the arrow. The tranq is fast acting and safe and Doc guarantees it to stop...anyone..."

Joe looked down at the little hunk of plastic and suppressed a shudder. He realized that stuff like that only came into necessity after what had happened with Sal. It was like after 9-11...He didn't want to take it, but after he'd seen what Teri did to Joyce...

"Let's get this over with," he said.

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:58 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 13

Walky tackled Teri around the waist. He felt the air blow from her lungs as they went to the floor. He grunted in pain as her knee came up into his own ribs as she threw him over her head. He rolled to his knees and tried to catch his breath. The raging pain in his head had weakened to a dull roar, but now he regretted not taking those martial arts training classes. Sure, he was stronger than Teri. He thought he might even be faster. But he never knew how many body parts could be used as a weapon at one time.

Teri rolled over, a mechanical laughter peeling from a throat not meant to sound that way. A thin trickle of blood ran from the corner of her mouth as she smiled at him. Her shirt stuck to her chest, the blood clearly visible. She was a mess. He guessed that he'd have to get a new sweatshirt too, but he didn't want to think about that right now. He'd heal.

"That hurt," she said, throwing her best Rutger Hauer impression at him.

"I can't let you have that branch, Teri..." Walky choked out. "I know you're still in there somewhere. I just gotta find out where."

"She's gone! When I created this personality, I programmed it to subsume her own," she said. "The only way to get her back is in a bodybag."

She screamed at him and drove herself into a dead run at Walky. An image flashed through his head in that instant, he put his legs under him and jumped, meeting Teri halfway. She cried out in pain as he heard a sickening crunch issue from their collision. He pulled himself to his feet again as she backed up a couple paces. Teri's right hand shook as she reached up to her left shoulder.

"My a-arm..."

All trace of the Head Alien had gone from her voice. Her face burned with fear for the first time since this whole nightmare started. Walky hesitantly approached her, but she backed away.

"Teri-"

Her right hand lashed out with a wicked punch to his already battered face.

"Good thing I'm right-handed," she laughed. "But I'm done playing with you now."

She leaned over him, grimacing in pain at the slightest movement of her arm. Her last punch had brought the molten pain racing back into his head. The floor bucked and swayed under him, making it impossible for him to escape. Everything came together in a bright flash as she rammed a knee into his chest. Her hand shot to his throat, clamping down. He tried to gurgle a response as his tried to force her arm off, but realized that her hand was pressing his voicebox into his spine, which didn't help if you wanted to talk someone out of their mad plots against the world.

"You! Stop!" a female voice shouted from the entrance.

Teri didn't turn, but increased the pressure on Walky's throat. Trying to get the job done? At least she was thorough.

"Get off him!"

It was Joyce! Walky wanted to push Teri off, but could barely gather strength to keep his arms up.

"You get off my Walky!"

Walky could almost hear Joyce marching across the floor. Teri lifted her hand off his throat and turned to the intruder.

"Aw, another plaything," Teri sneered. "How nice."

"I'm! Not!" Joyce pulled Teri to her feet. "Playing!"

Joyce ripped a punch across Teri's jaw with the second most sickening crunch Walky had heard all day. Well, maybe third or fourth. Okay, maybe he didn't remember them all, since some were his own. He gurgled happily as Joe lifted his head above the cooling puddle on the stainless steel underneath him.

"How do you-" Joe began. "Damn, that's a stupid question. Joyce, put Teri down and come take care of your boyfriend here."

Joyce breathed out and dropped Teri. Joe sighed sadly and pulled the tranq gun out of his pocket.

"Nuts...I didn't even get to use it..."

"We should keep Teri under," Joyce tossed her head to indicate where Teri lay. "Shoot her in the butt."

Joe shook his head.

"Nah, did that earlier..."

"With the gun, Joe!"

"Awww..."

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:03 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 14

Linda heard the door swish open behind her. They had arrived. It had been a week since Teri Humner's aborted attempt to get the Rod and things had settled. Somewhat. Linda crossed her arms as she looked through the one-way mirror. Teri lay strapped to her bed, more as a precaution against further episodes than anything else. Her head lolled to one side and a lazy eye fixed upon Linda, accusing her. Linda looked once more at the contents of a manilla envelope and shook her head before closing it.

"She's sedated," Linda said as she turned to Walky and Joyce. "Doc has been giving her a small dose of what he called 'Alien Compound AA'. Something of a derivative truth serum to try and help some of the mindwipe victims. He thinks it might work with Teri."

Walky watched as one of Doc's flunkies injected Teri with some strange, glowing green substance. He couldn't help but think that this was somehow his fault. If he'd been more diligant in taking classes and such, he might've been able to subdue her without hurting her or himself. He grimaced to himself at the horribly ugly bruise visible on her left shoulder. He'd felt better when he'd learned it was just a bad dislocation and not a break, but seeing it now?

"Is it..." Joyce couldn't find the words she wanted to say. "Why does this-"

"Why do we have to keep her in there?" Linda finished.

Joyce nodded sadly.

"Joyce, it's quite obvious that she's not only an abductee, but she's had training in the CIA," Linda handed a folder to Joyce. "One or the other, we could handle. Both makes her a danger to everyone."

Joyce began to read through the contents of the folder.

"But couldn't we-" Walky began.

"What could we do, hm?" Linda turned to him. She sighed and put an arm around his shoulder, giving him a gentle squeeze. "I know you want to help her, but right now, until we can get her personalities to straighten out, there's nothing that any of us can do."

"Teri's mother was an abductee?!" Joyce exclaimed behind them.

"What?" Walky asked.

"Yes," Linda said sadly. "It seems that Teri got it coming and going. And not just from Joe."

Walky thought about that for a moment.

"You see, we knew that Head Alien had been up to his tricks long before SEMME came into being," Linda explained, folding her arms across her chest. "We knew he'd abducted people. What we didn't know was the extent of his...experiments."

"Walky..." Joyce moved closer to her boyfriend and handed the folder to him. "They-they killed her mother..."

Shock ran through both of them.

"Techincally, no," Linda ran a hand through her hair as she turned back to the window. "Back then, the Martians were still very prevalent. Head Alien was doing experiments to try counter what he saw in the Martians. Why he didn't side with them, I don't think I'll ever know. Teri's mother died as a result of one of the experiments."

"This folder doesn't say anything about the father?" Walky asked as he flipped through the various pages. "When she was beating on me, she said things about 'leaving her to them'. I thought she meant the aliens, but I didn't do anything."

Linda turned silently to her best agents. Best and most beloved, too.

"Mom, her father let her get abducted, didn't he?"

"We...Don't know..." Linda said hesitantly. "But that's a safe assumption, I think."

"Her...father..." Joyce folded her arms around her boyfriend's neck to keep her sobs at bay.

"It's not either of your faults, I hope you understand," Linda said softly. "We believe that Head Alien experimented to make Teri a bloodhound of sorts. She'd sniff out abductees, yes, but she was probably made for pointing out those that'd been touched by the Martians. Doc and I believe that Head Alien either forgot about her, or lost track after her father was killed. That would have also been about the time I had to give up..."

"Sal." Walky finished flatly.

Joyce broke her embrace and walked to the window.

"Yeah," Linda didn't want to look at her son.

"Big Boss, we can't keep her here," Joyce touched the mirror. "She doesn't deserve this. No one does."

Linda sighed heavily.

"Joyce, you know we can't do that until we can be sure she won't attack anyone again and that she won't go after the branch again," Linda didn't want to say it. She didn't want to hear what she was going to say. What she had to tell Walky and Joyce.

"That may mean she's in there for the rest of her life..."

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:06 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 15

Walky nuzzled a little closer, but again, Joyce looked out the window instead of giving him that look that made his pink part tickle. Okay, it wasn't really pink, he just liked that phrase. He pulled back slightly from their position on the end of the couch and looked at her. She had that same look on her face. The same look she had everytime she looked out the window. Walky was beginning to wonder if she could see something across the SEMME compound that he couldn't. Maybe into the bathroom across the way? He didn't know...

"Um...Joyce?"

She turned back to him and smiled. Her smile faded when she realized why he had to speak up. Her head drooped and she closed her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Walky," she said softly. "I just can't get into it..."

"That doesn't mean we can't try."

"Walky, I've been thinking about Teri..." Joyce folded her arms across her chest. "Teri is a prisoner of SEMME. And we helped put her there."

Walky looked at the television. A romantic movie. Popcorn on the table in front of them. She even put on the special perfume he liked. And for all that, she was right. Dammit! Why'd she have to be right all the time?

"Yeah, but what about what Mom and Doc said?" he asked weakly. "About her personalities..."

"Walky, that could take a lot longer than forever," she huffed out. "Think how long it took me to remember. And I didn't even have that glowing green crap in me either. I mean, that can't be good for her."

"But you're okay now-"

"Think about how much crap we could've stopped if my head had been together?"

Walky thought for a moment. He couldn't come up with anything. Apparently, from the look on her face, neither could Joyce.

"Okay, so that's a bad example," she waved her hands. "The point is, how would you or I react being strapped down and drugged up?"

"Probably like this."

Walky leaned his head on the back of the sofa and gurgled cutely. Joyce didn't seem to be impressed.

"Okay..." he said, wiping his mouth. "What do you wanna do about it?"

"Let's go see her," Joyce said, the light coming back into her eyes. "If nothing else than to let her know that...she's got friends..."

"Um..." he twiddled his fingers. "Last time I was near her, she nearly split my head like a melon."

"Maybe she was hungry?"

Walky chuckled a little.

"You know it wasn't really her," Joyce said, wagging a finger at him.

Dammit! Right again!

He nodded.

"Okay," he finally conceeded. "But we go in together."

Joyce threw her arms around him and planted a wet kiss to his cheek.

Yup, he thought, I still got it...

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:08 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 16

The little rhesus monkey sifted through the ashtray that sat in it's cage. Having found a decent butt, he stuck it in his mouth and sauntered across the cage to the keyboard. On the keyboard were several representations of phonetic syllables and sounds, most of them unreadable to anyone except the researcher standing on the other side of the cage glass. The monkey scratched his furry, golden head and began to type. Dina stared through the glass at the text that began to appear on the screen.

"He's coming up with Hemingway this time, Professor," she said without turning. "Something about a fish..."

"Hmm, yes," Doc reached next to Dina and pressed a switch. A tiny door opened next to the keyboard. Without getting up, the monkey took the butt from his mouth and put the end in the door. A sour red glow issued from within and the monkey stuck the lit cigarette back in his mouth and continued to type.

"What's your opinion, Dina?" he asked. "When do you think he'll begin with the contemporary authors? Modern writers are fine, but when will the next leap forward occur?"

"Richard seems to be working chronologically, sir," she said, noting the small smoke rings wafting from the cage. "Unfortunately, I think he'll be dead by the time we get to Vonneagut."

"Too much stress?"

"Too many cigarettes," she corrected, looking up at her mentor. "Those things'll kill you..."

"Hey Doc," Walky called out as he and Joyce entered the lab. "Joyce and me need to ask you something."

"Professor Doc, we'd like to visit with Teri," Joyce began quickly.

Walky winced, wanting to come at the problem from a different angle. Like, behind really thick safety glass.

"No, I don't think that's a good idea," Doc turned to them and raised an eyebrow. "Not only are the two of you just recovering from injury at her hands, but the sedation was just given for tonight. She would still be dangerous for quite a while."

"She is getting better," Dina smiled at Walky. "Because of you two, we're able to out of her restraints at night. She's quite comfortable...For living in a cell..."

Walky could tell that Dina felt something at this, but that her conviction in her science would keep her from really helping Teri. Walky sighed. This might get rough and he didn't want to have to involve anyone.

"Professor, we are recovered," Joyce pointed out. "And there are two of us. We'll be on our guard. She only took advantage of us last time because she was under control-"

"And what makes you think that she's not under control now?" Doc folded his arms across his chest. "I know that you want to help Teri. That you feel...Guilty, for her current state. You shouldn't feel guilty. It wasn't anyone's fault."

"Doc," Walky began. "We can handle her if we know she's coming. Besides, you said she's already been given the sedatives..."

Walky could tell that Doc mulled over the sedative advantage in handling Teri. Doc huffed out and bent to a nearby drawer. He took out a square of black plastic all too familiar to Joyce. Doc handed the tranq gun to Walky.

"Take this in with you," Doc sighed. "And don't hesitate to use it."

Walky took it. Doc turned back to the rhesus monkey, who had begun to chain smoke. Walky turned to Joyce and shook his head. He wouldn't use it. He doubted he'd have the need. Walky stuck it in his pocket, though...Just in case...

Dina watched as the two of them headed toward the containment wards. Down the long, white hall was her room. Dina frowned slightly and looked back down at her notes. They were her friends and she wondered if they really knew how bad that person was.

"Dina?"

"Yes Professor?"

"Richard?"

Dina blushed and looked to her notes.

"It was his idea..."

"I see," Doc smirked at the monkey. "What happened when we tried Menthol last time?"

"Woolf, sir."

"That's right," he nodded. "Dina, break out the Nicoderm patches."

"Yes sir."

The soft flourescent light on the ceiling came to life. Not that the resident of the room cared much. Dark. Light. It wouldn't matter in another half an hour or so...A creak issued from the wall behind Teri. She distantly felt her head loll toward the sound. She squinted in pain as the light from the corridor beyond spilled into the small cell.

"Oh Walky..."

Walky, Teri thought, I know that name...

Pain flashed and Teri grabbed her head. The lullaby sang through her brain at terrible volumes. Teri tried to follow the words with her own, a counter of some sort that she'd remembered, but she couldn't hear herself above the song. She began to cry as the song finally settled back down again. Teri felt herself inside an embrace and wondered, as she was rocked back and forth, how her mother had made the bad people go-

Teri opened her eyes. Her mother was gone. A young woman, beautiful and troubled, rocked Teri back and forth, trying to calm Teri as best she could. This woman. Her name was Joyce. The lullaby threatened to rear itself in her skull again and Teri closed her eyes. It just felt so good to lay in Joyce's arms and hear her soft humming over Teri's head.

"Teri?"

It was another voice. A man. Walkerton. Walky. So long as Teri concentrated on Joyce, the other song didn't come back. Teri opened her eyes and turned her head to Walky.

"...please..." she muttered. "Please don't leave me with them."

"We're here, Teri," Joyce hummed softly. Joyce turned to her boyfriend. "Walky, she's not a danger to anyone..."

Walky sighed out as he looked down at the pathetic woman Joyce cradled.

"Joyce, you heard Doc," Walky knelt to Teri. "And how do I know this isn't another trick? I ain't gonna let you hurt Joyce like you hurt me-"

Teri cried out and flung herself around Walky's neck. Walky stumbled back against the surprise...huggle? His legs left him and Teri fell on top, holding onto his neck as she continued to cry.

"Walky, please..." she cried softly, and oddly enough seductively, into his ear. "Please. I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt either of you...Walky, I know you've been trying to get me out of here, but I...I can't leave..."

With Joyce's help, Walky pulled her out to arm's length, the shock evident on both of their faces.

"You know?" Joyce asked. "If you've known, then that means your head has gotten itself together-"

"What do you mean?" Walky asked.

"If she's lucid during the day, then the drugs might've worked!"

Teri nodded.

"I think they have, but I need to talk," Teri muttered. "I need to tell...people that I trust...about what happened...But I can't do that. I must, but I can't. I can't..."

"What does she mean, Walky?" Joyce asked.

Walky shook his head, but said nothing.

"Joyce, if I told Doc and SEMME what I knew, then they'd let me go," Teri explained. "They'd let me go. I'd go. I can't go. I can't..."

"Teri, why..." this had Joyce confused. "Don't you want to go home?"

The lullaby began up again, but Teri concentrated on Walky and Joyce and it subsided.

"I'm a - danger - " she muttered in between the pain. "To myself. To SEMME. To - my government. To everyone."

She slumped against Joyce's chest, quietly happy for the contact.

"It's better for everyone if I'm kept in here...forever..."

Teri began to sob again into Joyce. A hand reached to her shoulder and gave her a gentle squeeze. She sighed at the strength behind the touch and the strangely warm feeling she got from it. It was Walky.

"I believe you, Teri. And I do think your mind is back," he said, rubbing her neck. "But I don't think it's better for you to stay. I think it's only easier. The easy thing to do would be to stay here, drugged up and out all the time. The easy thing would be to let the Head Alien win."

"It's hard to let me and Joyce in on some of the secrets, some of what you know. I know it's hard to live with all those secrets. It's going to be hard to live with that voice that's going to be in your head, probably forever," Walky continued as he got to his feet. "The hard thing would be to be in control of your own life and to take control of your own powers, no matter how scary they are. Believe me, that's much harder. But one thing I know, you won't have to live all that alone. You'll have at least two friends."

He extended a hand. And smiled.

"Will you let us help...If we can?" Joyce asked.

Teri took Walky's hand and Joyce helped her up.

"Yes," Teri said, smiling for the first time in a long time. "You, at least, deserve to know the truth..."

Walky smiled and nodded.

"Okay," he said. "There gonna be one more hard thing."

"What?" Joyce asked.

"Figuring out how to get her out of here."

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:09 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 17

A great bang echoed through the quiet lab. Another bang and the entrance door bent quickly open, spilling Joe and Tony to the floor. Mike and Linda rushed in, guns drawn, as Joe and Tony got up again. Linda looked around.

"What the hell happened here?" Mike asked.

Linda moved to Dina, who was still gagged and duct-taped to an office chair. Mike undid her gag.

"It was - Walky," she breathed out. "And Joyce. They took Teri. I don't know what they're going to do with her though."

"Do you think they'd kill her?" Tony asked.

"Professor Doc! Help him. He's over near the monkey," Dina said.

Joe found Doc near the monkey, sure enough. Bent over a table, a small dart sticking out of his posterior. Smoke wafted up from the little golden monkey as it puffed away on a Nicoderm patch. It chirped at Joe and smacked Doc on his ass a couple times, as if to emphasize who would now spank who.

"Looks like Doc's okay," Joe said, taking out the dart. "He's just gonna be taking a nap for a while."

"Apparently, they made a pot of coffee before they left too," Mike said, sniffing at the Mr. Coffee.

Tony went to check the other patients and Teri's cell.

"Yes," Dina swivelled in her chair. "They had to in order to counteract the sedatives we gave Teri."

Mike thought for a moment. Linda, who had helped Joe get Doc to a chair, turned to Dina.

"You mean those drugs could be counteracted with a cup of coffee?" she asked.

"Well..." Dina looked embarrassed. "So long as we don't give her any caffeine, the drugs would have the desired effect..."

Linda looked back to Doc. The Smoking Monkey, who had perched on Doc's forehead, occasionally slapped Doc's face.

"It didn't have to be a strong sedative, really," Dina continued to mutter.

"Dina, there's only one way in and out of these labs and they blocked the door," Linda said. "How did they get out?"

"I don't know-"

"Big Boss," Tony interrupted as he returned. "They got out through the vents. The grating on the one in Teri's room is open."

"Okay, Joe, Tony? You two come with me. Mike," Linda turned to him. "You stay here and take care of Dina and Doc."

Mike watched them go. He looked at Doc, who snored quietly in his chair, then he turned to Dina.

"Um...Mike," she said. "Could you untie me?"

His frown deepened and he looked down his nose at her.

"I seem to remember someone not giving me a choice of...beverages..."

A chill ran down Dina's spine.

"And while I don't plan on anything like that," his frown went away. "I do think that turnabout is fair play."

He leaned over her and put his hands on the arms of the chair.

"Mike, you're scaring me now," she gasped. "What's wrong with your face?!"

He continued to stare into her eyes as he began to wheel her into a nearby conference room. Her heart beat faster and a thin line of sweat gathered at her forehead. She didn't know if she was scared or excited.

"Mike..."

"It's called a smile, Dina."

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:10 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 18

Teri watched her breath swirl out to the crystalline stars above. They twinkled and shone, but remained far away. Cold.

"Tell Professor Doc that the green goop worked," she said to the stars. "I remember everything. Even from my childhood. I remember everything. And maybe I remember too much."

"How much time do you think we have?" Joyce turned to Walky.

He looked back at the door to the service stairs. Sure, the weather on the roof was cold, but Teri had wanted to go look at the stars. She also figured that it'd help the coffee in her system. Walky had blocked the door with one of the fire axes, but didn't really think that'd hold for very long. From the roof of the research lab, they could see all of SEMME proper, quiet from this height. Walky knew, however, that the alarms had probably already been set off from their escape and that they'd find the three of them soon enough.

Joyce wondered why Walky had gone so silent, but turned back to the woman they'd helped escape.

"Teri?"

She smiled at Joyce.

"The truth...At least as I know it," Teri began. "As you and Walky and everyone else knows, I was abducted by the Head Alien when I was a child. My father...My father was weak-willed, but part of that was because the Head Alien was giving him drugs."

"Drugs?" Joyce asked.

"I thought it was some kind of weapon at the time," Teri nodded to herself. "I now know it was some kind of hypodermic. It's strange to see the things in my memories through the lens of experience. I know that the drugs must've been pretty strong, because as time went on, the trips with the aliens came closer and closer together. That was, until one time, dad sent me to visit with my aunt. I was supposed to give her a letter. I wasn't old enough at the time to question why he hadn't just sent it through the mail."

"They killed him too, didn't they?" Walky said softly.

Teri nodded again and looked down into the compound.

"It's my guess that they did, though I have no proof," she continued. "See, I was abducted on my way home and they dropped me off in front of a burning house. My aunt didn't want to take responsibility for what she saw as her sister's failure. So-"

"Wait..." Joyce interrupted. "A burning house?"

"Yeah, see, my guess is that dad finally stood up to Head Alien and told him that he'd hidden me," Teri said. "What I overheard after I was picked up makes me think that. And when Head Alien couldn't get the information he wanted, he killed dad. They made it look like a gas explosion, an accident. I looked it up years later, after I'd got into college."

Teri sighed out and tried to keep her tears in.

"I don't know how to feel about him," she said. "I do love my father, even while I despise what he did."

A quiet moment passed between them.

"What, exactly, did Head Alien do to you?"

She turned to Walky.

"He changed me. Um, what's the word?" Teri searched around. "Augmented. He messed around with my genetics, but didn't have the knowledge that the Martians had, which frustrated him to no end, but he did have some limited success. My mother was one of the later experiments...Before he perfected some things. He wanted me because she had succeeded in passing on those abductee genes to her child. It wasn't the first time it'd happened, but it'd been the first time that he'd meant to do it."

"I think he lost track of me," she said. "After the foster homes kicked me around the system. I ended up with this nice old lady in Virginia. I grew up there, got into William and Mary College and soon found myself in the CIA. Which is how I made it here.

"You see, Head Alien made me hypersensitive to the traces of pheromones that people put off," she explained. "Early on, I was sensitive to everyone. Let me tell you, puberty was a bitch. Luckily, Granny was a homeschooler and decided that I could be as well. I found that I was attracted to those who were nice to me and disgusted by those who weren't."

"Which was why you and Joe..." Walky couldn't finish the sentence.

"Did the mattress mambo? Yeah, Walky...That's why..."

"But if you knew, how did you get into the CIA? Why..." Joyce sputtered. "I mean, I remember how I was in college and the hormones there-"

"That's the thing, though," Teri said. "After a while, the pheromones dropped down to almost nothing. I could use them as kind of a lie detector because of the changes in pheromones, but they no longer affected me like that."

Joyce thought for a few seconds.

"Abductees..."

"Yuppers," Teri blushed. "Those who've been touched by the Aliens and the Martians, especially, give off a much stronger..."

"Smell?"

Teri laughed and reached out of Walky, giving his arm a gentle squeeze. A move which didn't go unnoticed by Joyce. Teri realized her slip and shook her head.

"Sorry..." she said. "It's not really a smell, Walky. It's almost a flavor. But I can see it too, isn't that weird?"

"I've seen a lot of things that I'd classify as weird, Teri," Joyce said. "This is just a little more personal."

A long, low crunch issued from the door and Walky stepped back, placing himself between the door and the women. The door banged a couple more times before the axe fell away and the door swung open. Joe stepped out, gun drawn, followed by Tony. Linda stepped out between them and folded her arms across her chest as she frowned at Walky.

"Walky-"

"Just wait a minute, Big Boss," Walky began. "Now that I've heard Teri's whole story, I know that we can't lock her back up again! It's just wrong and-"

"Walky," Teri put her hand on his shoulder and gently pushed past him.

Linda brought her arm down, so that Joe and Tony would lower their weapons.

"It's really okay," Teri turned back to Walky. "I know that I've done wrong. But at least I'm together enough to stand for those crimes on my own..."

"Are you ready to tell us what you remember?" Linda asked the woman.

Teri nodded. She lowered her head and stood before Linda.

"It may be a while until you can go back to work for Uncle Sam," Linda explained as she placed a hand on Teri's shoulder. "We've arranged a little longer assignment, but you'll still have to go back."

"Knowing what I know...What I can do..." Teri shook her head. "I don't think I can ever go back. But, so long as I have friends like Joyce and Walky, maybe I can at least try to have a normal life."

"No, I do think that you can return. In fact, SEMME wants you to go," Linda said. "You have a job to do and keeping your responsibilities is very important. Your new friends understand this and the rest of SEMME will help where we can, but the job is still your own."

Teri, the confused look evident on her face, didn't understand where Linda, Big Boss of SEMME, was going with this.

"You have a job to do," Linda said again. "But I wonder if there isn't a compromise..."

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:14 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Part 19

Danny Wright looked at his watch again. The little seal of the President glittered in the light and he looked once more to the bridge to her plane. Teri. He hadn't heard from her in years...Ever since he'd gone into the Service and she'd gone on to groundwork in the Agency. A line of guilt ran through him again. She'd left him because he was a dumbass. Not unusual for guys, really, just odd for him. She hadn't wanted him to go into the Service, but it had been the chance of a lifetime. Only after he was there did he realize what he'd given up. Now, out of the blue, the red haired woman he loved wanted him to pick her up at the airport...A fresh start? He could only-

Teri stepped out of the bridge and smiled at him. He was just liked she remembered him. Average height. Built well enough, but really not bulky. Hazel eyes with brown hair. Average. And what a wonderful average it was...

Danny closed his mouth. The woman before him had straight, platinum blonde hair, that had been cut short so that it framed her face, the endpoints on either side touching her lithe jaw. The freckles that had brushed her nose and cheeks in the past seem to have faded and the rest of her skin almost glowed. Porcelain. That was the word that played around inside his head. She looked good. Fit and tight. She slung her small backpack onto her shoulder and smiled a wry smile at him.

"You don't have to stare, you know," she said softly. "Can I get a hug?"

Teri light green eyes flashed as he blushed. Danny looked exactly the same. And felt the same as his arms folded around her - Oh. Well. Perhaps a bit more fit. Teri smiled in the embrace. It felt good to be home. They broke and began to walk together to the baggage claim.

"I like the suit," he said. "I think the darker colors fit you better."

Teri looked down at the dark blue suit jacket and pants that fit her like a glove.

"I don't know about the shirt though. You always used to yell at me if I wore yellow..."

Her jacket swished open to reveal a white silk blouse underneath, a prominent yellow stripe across her chest. Teri smiled a knowing smile at him.

"Yeah, many things change," she said.

They stopped a quiet distance from the clain area. She turned to him and blushed slightly.

"I've made a lot of mistakes in the past..." she breathed out. "One was breaking up with you. I was an idiot...But I hope I'm not too late to change that."

Danny gulped slightly under her wide-eyed stare. But sighed and wrapped her in his arms.

"Never," he whispered. "It's never too late to change. It's never too late to...Love...Again..."

She pulled him out to arms length, the surprise and joy evident on her face. She pulled his head down and kissed him deeply. She pulled him into another embrace and held on tight.

"Many things change..." she whispered in his ear. "And some changes, I could get used to."

Finis

Father of IW! Fanfiction