The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:01 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Yep, I finally got my hands on a Ruger 10/22.

I love it!

The first night I had it, I found out the most likely reason the previous owner had sold it... I think it was malfunctioning badly for him...

I have never in my life seen such a disgustingly filthy firearm. It took me over two hours to clean the thing, I had to completely disassemble the trigger group and clean each part individually, I had to completely disassemble the bolt and clean each of its parts, and the receiver had caked-in crud at least a millimeter thick.

The bolt face and chamber face had so much caked-on crud that when you released the bolt, it went *thud* instead of *click*... The firing pin wasn't moving very well because its slot was full of gunk... The extractor claw wasn't even hanging over the recess in the bolt face...

It was seriously grody.

Anyways, I cleaned it up, bought a Weaver scope rail (for $6 at the gunsmith's, I was expecting $12 - $14...), and mounted my 3x - 9x Simmons scope...

Took it out to the range today, it worked beautifully.

I got the scope roughed in, I can at least hit the cap of a water bottle at 60 yards... Tomorrow I plan on going back to the range with paper targets to zero the scope more precisely... And I think I'm going to start going to smallbore rifle again, now that I have a gun that'll actually do fairly well.

The mods I'm currently planning include a mag release extension, the stock mag release is a bit awkward. I'd like to get a recoil buffer, the loudest part of firing the rifle is the sound of the bolt slapping against the bolt stop pin. I'm also planning on bedding the action in the stock, maybe one of those glasbed kits... Eventually I'd like to get a match grade bull barrel for it, and maybe a VG hammer to lighten the trigger pull down to 2 - 2.5 pounds. Otherwise, I think it's an absolutely beautiful firearm as it sits.

I'm kinda curious about those scope rings that let you look under the scope through the iron sights. Any experience with those? If they're actually good, then I might as well throw a set of those and a set of aperture sights on my want list.

Suggestions, comments?

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:39 pm 
I've seen and played with the see-under scope mounts. I don't like them for two reasons:

1) They're ugly.
2) They were designed, originally, in a time when scopes weren't terribly reliable. That no longer applies.

I do love the 10-22, though. I've got two of them. What I really want to try now is the .17 Mach II; you can get a 10/22 barrel in that round, and the same mag works, but I'm reading that the .17 has higher chamber pressure and it's breaking bolts. You need to install a heavier bolt to handle the .17.

Answer: Buy a 77/22 bolt gun and rebarrel that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:57 am 

Well, I did the fine tuning on the scope dope today...

It's looking like it's about 1.75 moa. I'm grouping about 1.5" at 200 feet.

At 200 feet, I can shoot an empty 12ga shotgun shell within a few shots. Pretty good, considering the whole 1.5" group thing.

At 50 feet, the thing is a nail driver. I was potting empty rifle brass off the posts at 50 feet.

I need more practice, though. I scored about 65 on 50' seated position. I'm way better at prone, but I forgot to pack my mat today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:07 pm 

The local gunsmith will do a trigger job for $35, which reduces the trigger pull to 3 - 3.5lb and makes it VERY smooth. I tried one of the rifles he'd done the job on, and it was wonderful. He says over the past 12 years he's done over 700 of them and never had a complaint.

I bought a Hot Lips magazine loader today. It's wonderful! I can load a 30 round magazine in about as much time as it takes to count to 30. Sure saves the fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:18 pm 
Ogredude wrote:
The local gunsmith will do a trigger job for $35, which reduces the trigger pull to 3 - 3.5lb and makes it VERY smooth. I tried one of the rifles he'd done the job on, and it was wonderful. He says over the past 12 years he's done over 700 of them and never had a complaint.

I bought a Hot Lips magazine loader today. It's wonderful! I can load a 30 round magazine in about as much time as it takes to count to 30. Sure saves the fingers.

You can buy new high-cap mags now, too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:18 am 

Yeah, I know.

I can get Hot Lips 25 round mags for $18 each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:23 pm 
Since we're on the topic: I had a fairly cheap 6X24X50 target scope laying around. I stuck it up on my blued (factory stock) 10-22 just out of curiosity.

I zeroed it, and spent an hour shooting it. I was popping shotgun shells off a fencepost at 60-80 yards.

Big Magnification = Good Thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:44 am 

Yeah, I love being able to hit shotgun shells at that distance.

Granted, because it's only about 1.5 moa, it takes me a couple shots to hit a shotgun shell at 200 feet (about 65 yards), but it was a lot of fun.

I really wish the gophers we have around here were the kind that came up for air now and again. This rifle would be a terrific gopher-getter. Alas, I have never seen a gopher above ground, unless it's stuck in a trap or my cat brings it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:32 pm 

They'll come out briefly if you dig the hole up. Leave their tunnel exposed to air, and wait. Usually within a few hours, a head pops up, then goes back down, and the hole gets filled back in.

We had a cat that would park next to the dug-out hole and wait for the head, then slam the bugger several feet from the hole.

BW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:43 pm 
We used to put a loop of bailing twine around the hole and lay fifteen-twenty feet away, holding the other end. The head pops up, and YANK you've caught a live gopher.

Why anyone wants a live gopher isn't so easy to explain. But when I was nine I thought it was pretty cool.